Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
been around firearms my entire life and i am in my 6th decade. i am new to carrying but very comfortable with doing so. i also have a rental property and collect rent each month. today i was picking up rent from a tenant who operates a convienience store and he paid me in cash. guess one of the "locals" was watching and shouted out to me "you better be careful wit dat cash someone don't pull sometin on you" . i turned, assessed him as no threat, but replied"if that happened they may be surprised". i probably should have said nothing in hindsight but i was calm and ready to defend myself if needed. strange feeling the level of calmness in face of a possible defense situation. living in connecticut i am sure if i had to use lethal force i would be arrested, jailed and driven penniless defending myself in a court of law against a minimal charge of manslaughter.

hope thats as close as i ever come to drawing my weapon but i am now sure that i will be able to if need be.

just thought i'd share....

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm glad nothing happened. That is always the best outcome. Your new friend sounds like he was genuinely trying to be helpful. I think it is a good general policy to let people know you are aware of yourself and your surroundings, and you did that.

·
Registered
293 Posts
...just glad everyone is safe.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Here's hoping he doesn't have loose lips and keeps you safe. Maybe a more discrete meeting with your tenants might be in order so you are not identified as a carrier of large sums of cash.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Glad that everything was ok. Since your tenant runs a convenience store you might ask him to purchase a money order to pay you (most of them around here sells them). Probably a little safer than carrying a bunch of cash.

Be safe and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
767 Posts
be safer next time - no good to be spotted out by anyone who say 'dat'

you better get the money by mail now that you're tagged so no one just walks up and shoots you to get the cash

·
Banned
1,033 Posts
better to be quiet, and be safe. Nobody needs to know youre carrying until you need to SHOW you are and defend yourself. Just be sure you don't miss, three times.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Sounds like that neighbor put you in an awkward position. Saying nothing could have made you appear timid and an easy target. Admitting, as you did, that you were carrying gave away your advantage and could possibly have been perceived as a challenge. Perhaps in this situation a simple "thank you for your concern" would have sufficed.
It's easy to second guess, but difficult to know exactly what to do or say when in the moment. Glad you got paid and got out safe.

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
Then again, you could have just said "that would be most unfortunate", while facing them
squarely and leaning toward them slightly with the shoulders. The largest thing is to
face them squarely.

You have not said anything that could be a problem, but it does imply you are not going
to just roll over and give up. (It works!)

·
Registered
322 Posts
How did "dat" guy know you were being paid in cash? Part of carrying is being discrete; not just with your weapons. I assume you were not waving the cash around, but... I would suggest a different location for this transaction, like the branch of the financial institution into which you deposited the cash, or some other secure public place.

I offer no opinion on your response as each situation is different. Being silent could have been seen as weakness, your answer was reasonable and only indicated you were willing and able to defend yourself. You are correct that avoiding any situation where you have to use your weapon is best. See first paragraph.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
been around firearms my entire life and i am in my 6th decade. i am new to carrying but very comfortable with doing so. i also have a rental property and collect rent each month. today i was picking up rent from a tenant who operates a convienience store and he paid me in cash. guess one of the "locals" was watching and shouted out to me "you better be careful wit dat cash someone don't pull sometin on you" . i turned, assessed him as no threat, but replied"if that happened they may be surprised". i probably should have said nothing in hindsight but i was calm and ready to defend myself if needed. strange feeling the level of calmness in face of a possible defense situation. living in connecticut i am sure if i had to use lethal force i would be arrested, jailed and driven penniless defending myself in a court of law against a minimal charge of manslaughter.

hope thats as close as i ever come to drawing my weapon but i am now sure that i will be able to if need be.

just thought i'd share....
For a little piece of mind:

Concealed Carry Insurance Guide

https://mynrainsurance.com/insuranc...ampaign=agia+sd+web+link&segmentcode=cdh02643

There are others.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Probably nothing will come of it, but I would offer this advice: warn your tenant not to do that again, nor keep cash in any significant amount on him or at home unsecured. If I were you, I would alter my routine a bit as to not put myself in that position again.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Low profile. Ask for money in an envelope or given in private. Vary the routes you travel to and from collections.
Better to have your cc piece and not need it. Awareness.of your environment at all times. If you were a thug, where would attach youself (if that makes sense).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.