Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What do you do when it is hot, humid and the Corona Virus is rampant? You go to your basement workshop where it's nice and cool and play with guns, with hopes you come up with something decent. Today I took a Ruger stainless steel Birdshead grip frame and mounted it on my silver Wrangler. It feels good, looks OK, and I'll soon find out how it shoots. I shot it with the factory zinc plow handle grip frame and did OK .... certainly not match grade but pretty nice groups for this old phart.

The birdshead grip frame was mostly a "drop in". The only modification I made was to drill the hole for the cylinder latch spring about 1/4" deeper. My grip frame was a "take off" from a 327 Fed Mag Single-Six so everything else fit just fine .... even the cylinder free spins.

Here's my Wranglebird:

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
maybe that will inspire a factory Wrangle-birdy configuration

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,814 Posts
The best birdies are the ones you make yourself. That looks like a nice upgrade to the 'ol Wrangler.

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,292 Posts
Very nice! You should get bored some more.

·
Count Ursunk
3,250 Posts
That's a good looker there Iowegan. Couldn't have been in better hands for the fitting procedure.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Your Wranglebird looks great! I like the SS on the silver and the grips are the perfect match. If it wasn't for covid my son and I would have made our rosemary pine grips by now, but as a 21yo soon to be college senior who does not socially distance he is not allowed into my shop :-( BTW as an update I should have two 8 shot drop in cylinders that I have being made for the Wrangler in a week or two, mine will be the first ones he has made and I will post a report on them. I cannot tolerate the anomalous quirks of the single six cylinders even if they are only sporadic and the gun is only a plinker.
realfinal.jpg

·
Premium Member
Support Veterans
2,561 Posts
I can appreciate the work that went into those Wranglers and love the way they look. If it shoots as good as it looks and I hope it does I feel this will be the first of many upgrades by Wrangler lovers. Grips are personal and these look like another good option for SA.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Iowegan, that really looks nice. I love it! VincentG58, I'm also a big fan of two-tone revolvers. I actually stripped the paint off of the grip frame on my blued steel single-six just to give me the two-tone look. (y)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Today I took a Ruger stainless steel Birdshead grip frame and mounted it on my silver Wrangler.

Here's my Wranglebird:
I don't like birdshead grips.

That looks really good! If I ran into that in a gun store I would at least handle it and see how it feels. ;)

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Bob, What does that mean?

·
Registered
566 Posts
Well, excuse my opinion, but that seems like painting the barn red after the horse is out!

Bob Wright
Hey Bob, I'm sure hoping you'll explain that. The usual expression is something about closing the barn door after the horse (or cows) are out. So... yeah. Looking forward to an explanation. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts