Ruger Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
977 Posts
A little Malaprop to stir up minds. Sort of poking fun at putting a stainless steel grip frame on a ZAMAK gun. Lipstick on a pig sort of thing, tongue firmly in cheek.

Bob Wright

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,844 Posts
I never paint my barn with the horses inside. The fumes aren't good for them. Sounds like proper procedures were followed.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Bob, Knowledge is nice! ZAMAK is a German made alloy .... mostly Zinc, with Aluminum, Magnesium and Kupfer (German for copper) thrown in so it casts easily. Ruger's grip frame is a zinc alloy but it is not ZAMAK, although some people choose to incorrectly call it that. The only zinc part of a Wrangler is the grip frame. The cylinder frame is aluminum alloy, the barrel, cylinder, loading gate, springs, pins, and screws are steel. The hammer, trigger, and transfer bar are steel MIM. As you may note, I replaced the zinc grip frame with a stainless steel grip frame so there is no longer any zinc (or ZAMAK as you incorrectly call it) in the gun. Many people (including myself) think a gun should be all steel with wood grips. I had no intention of buying a Wrangler until I handled one at a gun show. An hour later I took the $200 gun home and I'm glad I did. Granted, it is not made of steel, but it sells for 1/3 the price of a Single-Six, which makes it a very modestly priced plinker. It shoots just as good as my Single-Sixes, which by the way have an aluminum alloy grip frame, so they aren't pure steel either.

A stainless birdshead grip frame and a nice set of grips cost almost as much as the gun so if I had to buy the parts, I would not have done the modification. I had a perfectly good birdshead grip frame with grips just sitting in my goodie box, waiting to be put in service so my cost was zip, zero, nada, nothing. I enjoyed doing the modification and if I so decide, I can always put the zinc grip frame and plastic grips back on the gun.

As always, opinions are welcome, even if they are negative .... just don't twist things to be something they aren't .... like ZAMAK..

·
Registered
135 Posts
A little Malaprop to stir up minds. Sort of poking fun at putting a stainless steel grip frame on a ZAMAK gun. Lipstick on a pig sort of thing, tongue firmly in cheek.

Bob Wright
Putting the stainless grip frame on Wrangler makes it no longer a ZAMAK gun, but then "facts" may not be your strong suit, much like aphorisms, just sayin.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Bob, Knowledge is nice! ZAMAK is a German made alloy .... mostly Zinc, with Aluminum, Magnesium and Kupfer (German for copper) thrown in so it casts easily. Ruger's grip frame is a zinc alloy but it is not ZAMAK, although some people choose to incorrectly call it that. The only zinc part of a Wrangler is the grip frame. The cylinder frame is aluminum alloy, the barrel, cylinder, loading gate, springs, pins, and screws are steel. The hammer, trigger, and transfer bar are steel MIM. As you may note, I replaced the zinc grip frame with a stainless steel grip frame so there is no longer any zinc (or ZAMAK as you incorrectly call it) in the gun. Many people (including myself) think a gun should be all steel with wood grips. I had no intention of buying a Wrangler until I handled one at a gun show. An hour later I took the $200 gun home and I'm glad I did. Granted, it is not made of steel, but it sells for 1/3 the price of a Single-Six, which makes it a very modestly priced plinker. It shoots just as good as my Single-Sixes, which by the way have an aluminum alloy grip frame, so they aren't pure steel either.

A stainless birdshead grip frame and a nice set of grips cost almost as much as the gun so if I had to buy the parts, I would not have done the modification. I had a perfectly good birdshead grip frame with grips just sitting in my goodie box, waiting to be put in service so my cost was zip, zero, nada, nothing. I enjoyed doing the modification and if I so decide, I can always put the zinc grip frame and plastic grips back on the gun.

As always, opinions are welcome, even if they are negative .... just don't twist things to be something they aren't .... like ZAMAK..
I must say that I would love to pilfer in your goodie box:)

·
Registered
977 Posts
Having gone through a few German handguns, I know pretty well what ZAMAK is, but I had been informed that the Wrangler was indeed ZAMAK. The grip straps and ejector rod housings on the Hy Hunter Single Actions were of this alloy.

Sure didn't mean to ruffle feathers of anybody. But a stainless steel, or carbon steel for that matter, grip frame on a lightweight revolver does seem contradictory to me.

Bob Wright

·
Registered
135 Posts
My question is how much would the die for a zinc alloy birdshead frame cost, if we cast 100 frames it might be way cheaper than the $80 my Midway frame was on cyber monday

·
16,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Bob Wright, Yes, I had the same opinion until I actually got a Wrangler in my hands. The zinc grip frame is much heavier than a Single-Six aluminum alloy grip frame ..... got curious so I just went to my shop and actually weighed all 4 types (no grips) on my digital scale. The Wrangler zinc grip frame weighs 6.35 oz, Stainless steel plow handle weighed 7.4 oz, The aluminum alloy grip frame weighs 2.92 oz, and the birdshead stainless steel grip frame weighs 6.4 oz. The aluminum alloy cylinder frame is indeed lighter but with a steel barrel and steel cylinder, the Wrangler hefts very much like a Single-Six. According to Ruger's web site, the Wrangler weighs 30 oz whereas ta 4 5/8" blued Single-Six weighs 32 oz. The balance with either the zinc or birdshead grip frame feels great .... much better than you might think. I guess what I'm saying is ...... being "old school" caught up with me with this new metallurgy in guns. The Wrangler is certainly not the best gun on the market but I think it is well worth what I paid for it .... $199+tax ($212.93 OTD). Between my son-in-law and me, we have run more than a brick of ammo through the Wrangler and there's virtually no sign of wear.

·
Registered
567 Posts
My attempt at humor went awry and some were offended. For that I sincerely apologize.

Bob Wright
Hey Bob, no harm done. I don't think any of us, especially Iowegan, are snowflakes. If you hadn't made your remarks, we would not have learned what we did from Iowegan. I have a Single Six with a Bisley grip that I love. Feels just like my big .44 mag with a Bisley grip (except for the weight). So, I've not at all been interested in one of these "cheap" new Ruger .22's. But after this discussion, and what I learned from Iowegan, I'm not looking down my nose at them anymore. And I may just end up owning one someday.

So, no need for an apology, and I would like to tell you "Thanks!" instead.

·
16,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Bob, No harm, no foul, just a bit of confusion ... and I get that way a lot these days.

Reactions: Fafhrd
21 - 32 of 32 Posts