Ruger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening,
Well, My new Wrangler has issues with my cylinder binding while loaded.
My first action was to determine that each chamber was thoroughly clean and that the rim recesses were totally free of debris. I then tried loading each chamber with fresh rounds. The results were that the cylinder again bound up with several brands of ammo.
Then I tried an experiment.
I removed the cylinder and tried 8 different types and brands of .22lr ammo
paying attention to rim heads protruding beyond the rim cut out.
The results were very interesting.
1. 2 brands slipped right in (mag tech and win. wildcats)
2. CCI mini mags HP and solids needed only a gentle touch to seat properly.
3. Win Premium also needed just a touch for it to seat.
4. Rem H.P. needed a very firm shove to seat but they did seat.
5. Win. H.P. were so gritty feeling and required incredible force and refused to seat.
6. Rem Thunderbolts were so fickle, half seated immediately and the other half refused to seat at all.
No one chamber stood out as problematic.

The baffling results prompted me to again examine the individual chambers. With proper light the chamber walls were absolutely polished smooth and not one tool mark was evident.

My take away is that there are extreme variations in .22lr ammo (obviously LOL.)
The other is that perhaps I have it has slightly undersized chambers and a call to Ruger is in order.

Curious about other experiences with this issue.

Thanks

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,157 Posts
My first trip to a range with my new Wrangler was a disaster. I had a new box of bulk Remington Golden bullets and none of them would fully chamber in my Wrangler. Is it the gun or the ammo? When I got home from the wasted trip, I found the same Remington ammo would not chamber in my Single-Sixes or my S&W Mod 18. I measured the bullets and found they were about .226~.227" in diameter and my chambers pin gauged at .225", which is uniform in all my 22 LR revolvers. I found CCI Mini-Mags would plunk right in the chambers as would a brick of Federal bulk 22s.

Sometime ago, I had the same problem with Winchester bulk pack 22s in my 22 LR GP100 so I made a sizing die where you push a cartridge in the die against a work bench then tap it back out with a round rod. I tried the die with the Remington ammo and it worked just fine.... all 550 of them. On my second range trip, I took the sized Remington ammo and a couple hundred Federal bulk pack 22s. All of them fired just fine. No problems loading or unloading the Wrangler, no duds, and all were reasonably accurate.

It seems some of the ammo manufactures are producing poor quality ammo with fat bullets. So before you get disgusted with your Wrangler, Single-Six, or other revolvers, break out your digital caliper and measure bullet diameters on a sample batch. Anything over .225" just isn't going to fit in the chambers. These same fat bullets will chamber in my Henry H001T Rifle or my Ruger SR-22 because the chambers are a bit generous.

·
Banned
1,336 Posts
Using a tenths micrometer confirms what Iowegan said. Many bullets are oversize. Plus, many of the brass cases are not perfect cylinders, as I stated in a previous post a few months ago. I find that CCI's work almost all the time. The chambers of my Single-Ten are also pretty darn perfect. I wonder whether any of the "Match" ammo is any better.

·
Registered
234 Posts
My first trip to a range with my new Wrangler was a disaster. I had a new box of bulk Remington Golden bullets and none of them would fully chamber in my Wrangler. Is it the gun or the ammo? When I got home from the wasted trip, I found the same Remington ammo would not chamber in my Single-Sixes or my S&W Mod 18. I measured the bullets and found they were about .226~.227" in diameter and my chambers pin gauged at .225", which is uniform in all my 22 LR revolvers. I found CCI Mini-Mags would plunk right in the chambers as would a brick of Federal bulk 22s.

Sometime ago, I had the same problem with Winchester bulk pack 22s in my 22 LR GP100 so I made a sizing die where you push a cartridge in the die against a work bench then tap it back out with a round rod. I tried the die with the Remington ammo and it worked just fine.... all 550 of them. On my second range trip, I took the sized Remington ammo and a couple hundred Federal bulk pack 22s. All of them fired just fine. No problems loading or unloading the Wrangler, no duds, and all were reasonably accurate.

It seems some of the ammo manufactures are producing poor quality ammo with fat bullets. So before you get disgusted with your Wrangler, Single-Six, or other revolvers, break out your digital caliper and measure bullet diameters on a sample batch. Anything over .225" just isn't going to fit in the chambers. These same fat bullets will chamber in my Henry H001T Rifle or my Ruger SR-22 because the chambers are a bit generous.
Yep, but this should be true for the more expensive Single Six's... which I may have missed former complaints for those Models. But I experienced some problems too, with swelled bullet heads and cheep ammo. The gun requires regular cleaning, so keep it slick. That includes the cylinder, like big time, for known dirty ammo. Shoot Safe and Straight....

·
Viceroy 🟩🟩🟩
2,881 Posts
Yep, but this should be true for the more expensive Single Six's... which I may have missed former complaints for those Models.
You did. There are many threads on this forum spanning many years, documenting how Ruger Single Sixes and Bearcats don’t chamber much of the out-of-spec ammo. Generally Winchester ammo is the biggest culprit.

This is a common, normal and well known phenomenon.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts