Ruger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I picked up the Wrangler Cowpoke edition over the weekend.I fired 12 cylinders worth so 72 rounds of Rem Goldens and Federal black box. From a rest at 15 yards it shot both brands of ammo 4 inches low aiming at a 2 inch dot using 6 o’clock hold and roughly 3 inches low holding dead on the dot.Windage was spot on and grouping was pretty good..So not bad there as I rather elevation be off than windage.

When the gates open and it’s in free spin the cylinder feels likes it’s dragging some. Spinning it hard with hand only gets a couple revolutions. Also I noticed some early marks already. This might be normal and if it is so be it. And a line is being scored on the outside of the cylinder as well. Again if this is normal then ok.
Would you single action owners and particularly Wrangler owners mine telling me if this is normal or do I need to call Ruger.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,970 Posts
The "turn line" on the cylinder in your second picture is perfectly normal for all New Model SA revolvers. It happens because the cylinder latch pops up soon after the hammer starts to cock, rubs on the cylinder and leaves a turn line.

The marks on the front of your loading gate is not quite as normal. What happened is the cerakote probably got a little thick and is rubbing on the cartridge heads and cylinder face. Mine did the same thing so I filed it down then used Testors silver model paint. It blends in just fine and is not even noticeable plus my cylinder spins freely. You can use some cold blue to touch up the cylinder face ... or you can just shoot the gun and not worry about cosmetics.

Reactions: Frontiersman

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The "turn line" on the cylinder in your second picture is perfectly normal for all New Model SA revolvers. It happens because the cylinder latch pops up soon after the hammer starts to cock, rubs on the cylinder and leaves a turn line.

The marks on the front of your loading gate is not quite as normal. What happened is the cerakote probably got a little thick and is rubbing on the cartridge heads and cylinder face. Mine did the same thing so I filed it down then used Testors silver model paint. It blends in just fine and is not even noticeable plus my cylinder spins freely. You can use some cold blue to touch up the cylinder face ... or you can just shoot the gun and not worry about cosmetics.
Thanks for the info. Think I’m just gonna shoot and not worry bout the cosmetics of it. I had a 3 screw Single Six years ago that I found up in a pawn shop that was in great shape.I enjoyed shooting it so figured I’d pick up a cheap alternative in the Wrangler.

·
Registered
15 Posts
That sure looks like an awful lot of wear for just 72 rounds out of a new Wrangler. My SIL and I just shot 15 cylinders out of his black Wrangler, it still looks brand new. I put 60 rounds through my new bronze Wrangler, no sigh of any wear yet.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Both of mine were a little tight right out of the box. The cerakote is a little thicker than you would think and sort of has a rough texture as well. One of the first things I did was hit the finish at the rear of the cylinder opening and at the end of the barrel where it meets the cylinder with a red scotch-brite pad and took the finish down a bit and made it smooth. I have about three hundred rounds through one of mine and you’d be hard pressed to tell it wasn’t still new.

·
Registered
49 Posts
500 rounds thru my brown Wrangler and it looks new. POA / POI as you described. I LOVE my old SS, and bought the Weangler as my "truck" gun. I'd say shoot it as it's most likely a thicker finish application.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Proper Cerakote application only adds .001" to .001.5"
That doesn't mean that someone (or a computer controlled sprayer) didn't get carried way and got it on too thick.

I was Cerakoting some parts once and a friend wanted to do the slide on his 1911. He had watched me do several guns before and I lined him out on how to spray. I came back to the garage and his slide had runs and drips all over.
He had used enough Cerakote to spray 20 slides. I told him it's not like you are spraying a lawn chair with Krylon, more isn't better. No big deal except for the $10 an ounce wasted Cerakote. I sand blasted his slide and re-sprayed it.
One coat, then look the piece over to see if you need to hit an area again that you missed is all that is needed.

I sprayed a Bisley Blackhawk once in Burnt Bronze and the cylinder would not advance at first.
Pulled the hammer back and let it down a few hundred times while watching "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly" and then it was fine.

Wear spots where there is contact is normal, however I would not expect the Cerakote to wear like that after a mere 72 rounds.
These parts on a Mini that rub, op-rod, receiver and bolt showed some Cerakote "burnishing" after about 2,000 rounds.
Even though it looks like the Cerakote is gone at those rub marks, there is still some there.

I'd let Ruger know that others have thought your Cerakote was applied too thick in places, and the premature wear is an indication of improper preparation or application.
If I a customer showed me that on a gun I had finished, I'd be obligated to re-do it.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
I'm with CHOOT IT ... your revolver is fitted tightly and will soon wear in smooth .
After 50 years of shooting my RBH (see avatar) it is getting nice and smooth... like a baby's bottom !
Gary

·
Registered
461 Posts
Congrats on the cowpoke edition! Comes with a leather holster & wood grips?

I have similar marks on mine - cylinder & inside frame. After breaking in, the cylinder spins like a roulette wheel.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Congrats on the cowpoke edition! Comes with a leather holster & wood grips?

I have similar marks on mine - cylinder & inside frame. After breaking in, the cylinder spins like a roulette wheel.
Yes sir. I wanted the wood grips and holster so paid a little more over the regular ones.
Here’s some pics
CA21CF9C-60CE-41B4-A0A7-9D07B00BA034.jpeg
06BA2DDE-262C-4713-997C-E1FE98E35924.jpeg
7637D49F-F795-4C99-91C4-FAFE74162D21.jpeg

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
The Wild Hog Holster is SWEET ! Right hand , left hand , strongside or cross draw...I Love mine . Keep thinking about real wood grips ( not laminated wood ) those look like real rosewood ...NICE ... anyone know where a set might be obtained ?
I confess to being a gripaholic ...got it bad too !
Gary

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
The Wild Hog Holster is SWEET ! Right hand , left hand , strongside or cross draw...I Love mine . Keep thinking about real wood grips ( not laminated wood ) those look like real rosewood ...NICE ... anyone know where a set might be obtained ?
I confess to being a gripaholic ...got it bad too !
Gary
The New Model Single Six .22 grips fit the Wranglers and Chigsgrips.com Makes some beauties!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts