Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased a Wrangler back around Thanksgiving of 2019. It was a terrible gun to shoot. A foot low and left at 15 yards. Sent it in to Ruger for service and they replaced it. New gun shot point of aim at 15 yards with half dollar groups. Much better. Haven't been to the range to shoot it since before Christmas. Shot it in a Bulls-Eye match yesterday and scored 794/900 with 24 X's. Top of rimfire class and high score overall. Now I need to clean it. But, I don't have a driver that will fit the grip frame screws. Are these just an allen head screw or something proprietary?

·
Registered
127 Posts
As soon as you remove the longer of the grip frame screws the hammer pin falls right out, a piece of tape on both sides before removing the screws prevents that until you want it out. The trigger pin is a pita, I made a tool after speaking to a Ruger tech to depress the loading gate spring when re assembling which made it a lot easier. My 2 cents would be to not remove the grip frame to clean the gun until a couple of thousand rounds, just field strip and clean. The tip Ruger gives of not mixing up the grip frame screws original location is something I followed every time, I taped each on to a 3x5 card with a sketch of the frame and locations. Both of our Wranglers shoot just a tad low at 12-15 yards but the Wolff spring sets really helped tighten up the groups.

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Wheeler Engineering

The best money I've ever spent many years ago was for a set of Wheeler tools that included most screw driver bits needed for casual gun work including just the bit needed for the Wrangler. I believe most gun supply houses carry this set. Includes the needed Torx bit.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Three years ago I got the Wheeler 43 piece Gunsmithing Set ( $28.99 Amazon) well pleased with all the flat , phillips , allen bits and the 5 different Torx bits .
I didn't have much in the way of Torx and these cover most used in guns plus the flat bits in my older sets were getting worn and or lost .
They make a 73 piece set which goes for about $60.00 but the 43 piece set filled my needs .
Seems like more screws are becoming these torx type...which I have to be careful with, they look a lot like the new fangled allen screws ! What screw head is Next ?
Gary

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Which Wolf kit did you use? I don’t see one that’s specific for the Wrangler. I’m assuming one of the single action kits.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I used the shooters pack for a New Model Single Six, 17lb hammer and a 30oz trigger, today I swapped the base pin screw back to stock which is much lighter than the Wolff and easier to field strip the gun, plus I had 1 turn too many on the base pin nut so you really had to keep it pressed all the way home.

I use a lot of Torx and Pozi Drive bits but the ones I had to fabricate for this were for the base pin latch, both sides not just the slotted one, all of the screwdrivers I had that fit the normal size were very long, so I ground one for that side too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts