Ruger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got the Wrangler and it didn't have any casting issues as others have stated. The #[email protected]! loading gate is really stiff. I have opened and closed it a bunch and even oiled it. Anything else I can do?

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
Read iowegan's whole post, Against my better judgement.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I guess I'll have to take it apart.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I received my black Wrangler today, inspected it, cleaned it, and ran 60+ rounds through it.

My loading gate is very tight, but tolerable after a bit of oil. It is possible that mine will get better after many rounds, so I think I will live with it for a while as-is.

I really like my Wrangler. It does shoot about 3 inches low at 25-yards. That is easy to fix with a small file and a bit of black paint, but I want to shoot mine more before doing any adjusting.

What it isn't: a high quality pistol.

What it is: a very nice looking and shooting pistol for a very good price. It should provide me many hours of shooting fun. I consider it a bargain.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have opened and closed my Wrangler about 500 times. It is still too stiff. Hurts my thumb.

I read this earlier:

I think it was a Blackhawk.

You need not take the gun all apart. Remove the cyl and pop the spring tip forward off of the loading gate with gate closed, carefully with something pointy. Tape the loading gate to avoid hitting it with the stone. Then pop the spring tip back in and try it. When you get it to your liking, polish the tip with fine crocus cloth and lube it.

·
Registered
259 Posts
For Ruger single actions, I smooth the radius of the loading gate detent cam, and round/polish the tip of the loading gate detent spring. The spring is stiff, so it’s usually very positively closed, but rounding this cam slightly and profiling the tip of the detent spring will help prevent galling and make opening the gate much easier.

·
Registered
3 Posts
For Ruger single actions, I smooth the radius of the loading gate detent cam, and round/polish the tip of the loading gate detent spring. The spring is stiff, so it’s usually very positively closed, but rounding this cam slightly and profiling the tip of the detent spring will help prevent galling and make opening the gate much easier.
I got about 70% of your instructions.

Dont know where the loading gate detent cam is.

The detent spring is that tweezer shaped spring....right?

I will have to disassemble the gun for this but I think I can because I have saved some you tubes on it.

Did you squeeze the bend in the spring in a vise to reduce some pressure?

Thank you

·
Registered
259 Posts
At the bottom of the loading gate, opposite the pivot pin (the bottom of the flat face which would be adjacent to the cylinder), there is a cam cut into the face of the loading gate. If you remove your cylinder and close the gate, you’ll be able to see how the gate detent cam interacts with the detent spring (and how the detent spring retains the loading gate in the frame). There’s commonly a sharp corner on this cam which will gall the tip of the detent spring, and will fight breaking over when opening.

I don’t typically bend the spring. I’m sure it won’t hurt anything and is easily undone (and a cheap and easily replaced part anyway), but it’s not typically pertinent - cutting a smoother radius on the cam and reshaping the tip of the spring typically makes the gate open easily enough, without any risk of rocking open in recoil (not that that is much concern when shooting a Wrangler, of course).

·
Registered
3 Posts
At the bottom of the loading gate, opposite the pivot pin (the bottom of the flat face which would be adjacent to the cylinder), there is a cam cut into the face of the loading gate. If you remove your cylinder and close the gate, you’ll be able to see how the gate detent cam interacts with the detent spring (and how the detent spring retains the loading gate in the frame). There’s commonly a sharp corner on this cam which will gall the tip of the detent spring, and will fight breaking over when opening.

I don’t typically bend the spring. I’m sure it won’t hurt anything and is easily undone (and a cheap and easily replaced part anyway), but it’s not typically pertinent - cutting a smoother radius on the cam and reshaping the tip of the spring typically makes the gate open easily enough, without any risk of rocking open in recoil (not that that is much concern when shooting a Wrangler, of course).
Reticlelive,
I found the pivot pin, the cam and the spring. Had to use my Jeweler's loupe. Found a lot of galling where I had opened and closed it hundreds of times. Cleaned it with a shot of brake cleaner followed by a lot of rem oil spray. It is still just a hard to get open. Looks like I'm going to have to do surgery on it. At least now I know what you are talking about. Thanks a bunch

1 - 11 of 11 Posts