Ruger Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got two new Wranglers (one for each daughter, not one for each hand) and one of them keyholes... about 5-10%.

I used the same ammo (Federal BYOB 36 grain Champion Hollow Points) same distance (5 yards), at the same time.

Do I have a problem with ammo selection or something at issue with the new Wrangler?

Never had a gun keyhole like this...

Other than that, I do like the pistols. Sad that I will eventually let the girls fully own them, but I will survive!

Attachments

·
Registered
777 Posts
You may have a bad bore on the one that keyholes. Give Ruger a call and they will fix it for you.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
17,227 Posts
If it was a bad bore, I would think all bullets would keyhole. I would give the bore a good scrubbing, then inspect it for any defects or fouling. There may be a burr or some sort of defect in one cylinder throat??? Try this: remove the cylinder, grab a live 22 LR and see if it will chamber from the front of the cylinder, not the normal rear of the cylinder. All 6 throats should chamber the cartridge …. if not you found your problem.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Make sure you clean them very good. I have a nine shot Taurus in .22 lr and when it starts getting pretty dirty it will keyhole rounds. I can give it a good scrubbing and everything returns to normal.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cleaned it

Cleaned it, checked tolerances as best I could, and will take it out later this week.

Thanks for the advice!

jc

1 - 5 of 5 Posts