Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just got back from the range a few hours ago. I took my new Wrangler and my 4 5/8" blued Single-Six Liberty Model (box stock) for comparison. I started out by shooting one cylinder full in the Wrangler followed by one cylinder full in the Single-Six at 10 yards. I wasn't able to use a bench rest so all shots were fired with a 2-hand hold standing up unsupported.

The first thing I noticed was the sight picture …. the Single-Six has black adjustable sights and presents a better sight picture than the silver fixed sights on the Wrangler. Despite the difference, my groups were nearly identical …. about an inch with both guns at 10 yards. The Single-Six was previously adjusted for zero at 20 yards so it printed pretty close to dead center. The Wrangler printed about 1/2" low. The next thing I noticed was the "free spin" cylinder when I started to unload/reload. My Single-Six has a conventional cylinder …. no free spin, however I have free spin cylinders in several of my Blackhawks so I'm used to them and found the Wrangler was much easier to unload and reload.

Next, I moved back to 15 yards and once again, the Single-Six printed very close to the bullseye and the Wrangler printed about an inch low. I decided to try again with the Wrangler only this time I used a 12 o'clock hold and got about an inch and a half group pretty well centered on the bullseye. So far, both guns felt nearly identical. If I closed my eyes, the only significant difference in "feel" was the plastic grips on the Wrangler and wood grips on the Single-Six. The hammer on the Wrangler cocks a little stronger while trigger pull is nearly identical. Both guns seemed to weigh about the same. Even with reshaping the loading gate detent spring, I found the Wrangler's loading gate just a little stiffer than my Single-Six.

I fired a couple more sets of six at 15 yards with both guns. My groups were nearly identically sized and pretty consistent POI with both guns. I then moved back to 25 yards and tried again. Both guns were all over the place …. maybe 4" groups at best …. and it was not either of the gun's fault, it was my eyes. I moved back to 15 yards and proceeded to shoot the rest of the 100 round box of CCI mini-Mags …. 30 rounds total in the Single-Six and 70 rounds total in the Wrangler. There were no malfunction of any sort with either gun. All cartridges loaded easily and spent cases ejected easily. I fully intended to shoot a couple brands of 22 LRs but the mosquitos had a different idea. After about 30 minutes on the range, I was attacked in full force. Thanks to all the local area flooding, mosquitos are the worst they've been for decades.

When I got home, I broke out my brass cleaning rod, Hoppe's #9 solvent, and a 22 cal bore brush, followed by a couple passes with a clean white cloth patch and a drop of gun oil. Both guns cleaned up equally well … not a hint of bore fouling in either gun. The front cylinder face on the Wrangler looked like the gun had never been fired …. probably because the Wrangler's blued cylinder has a much smoother finish than my Single-Six. I even have a holster for the Single-Six that fits the Wrangler just perfect.

My conclusions ….. except for the obvious difference in grips and sights, there wasn't enough difference in feel or performance to rate the Wrangler any different than the Single-Six. My age and eyesight is definitely showing when it comes to accuracy, however I do believe I could have shot much better groups with both guns had I been able to use a bench rest. The Wrangler may not be "match grade" but it is certainly adequate for all but the most demanding shooting sports. After tinkering with the Wrangler and taking it apart to see what makes it tick, I fully expected it to shoot about the same as a Single-Six. I was not surprised or disappointed …. the Wrangler is the best $200 I've spent on a gun for many years!

Here's my 4 5/8" Single-Six Liberty model:

This is my new Wrangler:

·
Registered
536 Posts
I thought long and hard about getting one. The price is right. I keep pulling out my two three screw SS's and they keep changing my mind. Thanks for the range report. I'm curious as to how long the finish will last.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Fine report and interesting comparison. I'd spend the extra $200 or so and go with the Single Six any day. Based on your experience, there may not be $200 difference in performance , but IMO, the comparison ends there; Chevy vs. Buick.:)

·
Registered
8,244 Posts
Just got back from the range a few hours ago. I took my new Wrangler and my 4 5/8" blued Single-Six Liberty Model (box stock) for comparison. I started out by shooting one cylinder full in the Wrangler followed by one cylinder full in the Single-Six at 10 yards. I wasn't able to use a bench rest so all shots were fired with a 2-hand hold standing up unsupported.

The first thing I noticed was the sight picture …. the Single-Six has black adjustable sights and presents a better sight picture than the silver fixed sights on the Wrangler. Despite the difference, my groups were nearly identical …. about an inch with both guns at 10 yards. The Single-Six was previously adjusted for zero at 20 yards so it printed pretty close to dead center. The Wrangler printed about 1/2" low. The next thing I noticed was the "free spin" cylinder when I started to unload/reload. My Single-Six has a conventional cylinder …. no free spin, however I have free spin cylinders in several of my Blackhawks so I'm used to them and found the Wrangler was much easier to unload and reload.

Next, I moved back to 15 yards and once again, the Single-Six printed very close to the bullseye and the Wrangler printed about an inch low. I decided to try again with the Wrangler only this time I used a 12 o'clock hold and got about an inch and a half group pretty well centered on the bullseye. So far, both guns felt nearly identical. If I closed my eyes, the only significant difference in "feel" was the plastic grips on the Wrangler and wood grips on the Single-Six. The hammer on the Wrangler cocks a little stronger while trigger pull is nearly identical. Both guns seemed to weigh about the same. Even with reshaping the loading gate detent spring, I found the Wrangler's loading gate just a little stiffer than my Single-Six.

I fired a couple more sets of six at 15 yards with both guns. My groups were nearly identically sized and pretty consistent POI with both guns. I then moved back to 25 yards and tried again. Both guns were all over the place …. maybe 4" groups at best …. and it was not either of the gun's fault, it was my eyes. I moved back to 15 yards and proceeded to shoot the rest of the 100 round box of CCI mini-Mags …. 30 rounds total in the Single-Six and 70 rounds total in the Wrangler. There were no malfunction of any sort with either gun. All cartridges loaded easily and spent cases ejected easily. I fully intended to shoot a couple brands of 22 LRs but the mosquitos had a different idea. After about 30 minutes on the range, I was attacked in full force. Thanks to all the local area flooding, mosquitos are the worst they've been for decades.

When I got home, I broke out my brass cleaning rod, Hoppe's #9 solvent, and a 22 cal bore brush, followed by a couple passes with a clean white cloth patch and a drop of gun oil. Both guns cleaned up equally well … not a hint of bore fouling in either gun. The front cylinder face on the Wrangler looked like the gun had never been fired …. probably because the Wrangler's blued cylinder has a much smoother finish than my Single-Six. I even have a holster for the Single-Six that fits the Wrangler just perfect.

My conclusions ….. except for the obvious difference in grips and sights, there wasn't enough difference in feel or performance to rate the Wrangler any different than the Single-Six. My age and eyesight is definitely showing when it comes to accuracy, however I do believe I could have shot much better groups with both guns had I been able to use a bench rest. The Wrangler may not be "match grade" but it is certainly adequate for all but the most demanding shooting sports. After tinkering with the Wrangler and taking it apart to see what makes it tick, I fully expected it to shoot about the same as a Single-Six. I was not surprised or disappointed …. the Wrangler is the best $200 I've spent on a gun for many years!

Here's my 4 5/8" Single-Six Liberty model:

This is my new Wrangler:

Great review and comparison ... Thanks

Any thought of changing out the plastic grips of the Wrangler?

·
Registered
5,529 Posts
I have a stainless 6.5" Single-Six with both Cylinders...my first revolver and one my two son's favor while shooting.
I tend to stick with older designs, at least until newer one's are 'proven'...and based on Iowegan's post, I may consider one for each of my two son's down the road!

·
Corps Commander NGV
5,054 Posts
Great comparison with good information. Thanks for the write up. Insects can ruin a range trip. I'm still itching from chigger bites gotten sighting in my Charger. A giant hornet buzzing behind my head made shooting good groups tough indeed!

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
I wish these range reports would stop... I'm hitting 70 , don't see iron sights that well anymore and need another SA revolver like I need another child...Then I read reports like this... I actually went to Cabela's with $250 extra in my pocket , I bought two pair of hiker shorts and 3 pair socks....is that lame or what ? I resisted looking in the gun dept , I knew if they had one I would buy it...so I didn't look . The temptation is great...now I read this !
A quality short barreled six shooter priced at $200 ...why didn't you come out 10 years ago ... I had better vision , I shot a lot more...life just isn't fair and getting old sucks rocks .
Maybe I'll make another trip to Cabela's...I loved the shorts and could use another pair, then amble over to gun dept. I still have the $250 in my wallet.

I have several pairs of after market and factory grips for my Blackhawk XR3-RED frame, will they fit the Wrangler

Thanks for the range report Iowegan , it was great !
Gary

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Fine report and interesting comparison. I'd spend the extra $200 or so and go with the Single Six any day. Based on your experience, there may not be $200 difference in performance , but IMO, the comparison ends there; Chevy vs. Buick.:)
If I could get Single Sixes for $379 it would be nice and if frogs had wings they would not bust their rump every time they jumped.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Iowegan, I have waited with "bated breath" for your range report, and I am so happy you posted it. Now, if any friends begin talking about a "first gun" for a youngster, or whatever, I can definitely recommend the Wrangler.
Thank you, sir.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Nice range report and another satisfied customer. About the only thing worth noting in the negative column seems to be the stiff loading gate. I can put up with that for under 200 bucks. Thanks for sharing your initial experience at the range.

·
Super Moderator
3,372 Posts
Thanks for the report. Your report seems to back up the other reports I have seen, but yours is the first I have seen side by side with a single six. You guys are going to pressure me into getting one to go with my super single six hunter and single ten.

*As for the mosquitoes, get yourself a thermacell. I have had great luck with them at the range. Get one, turn it on and clip it to your belt of set it on your bench if you are using a bench.

·
16,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
rmichael63, About the grips ….. I tried a set of walnut grips that were formerly on a Blackhawk. They fit perfect but didn't improve the actual hold nor appearance, so the factory grips remain on the gun. Turns out the Wrangler's cheap black plastic grips are the same as current production grips on Single-Sixes. They feel better than the smooth walnut grips plus black grips contrast better with the silver finish than brown grips. The good news is .... any Single-Six or Blackhawk XR3-RED grips will fit the Wrangler so it allows for many options.

Waveform, Yes, the loading gate was a prior issue. I reshaped the loading gate detent spring before I took the gun to the range, which made it much easier to operate. I could have bent the loading gate spring a little more, making it even easier to operate but I was too lazy to take the gun apart again. Maybe in the future .... if opportunity arises, I'll tweak the spring a little more. Further, I filed off a few thousandths of Cerakote and steel from the loading gate's front surface because it was dragging on the cylinder preventing it from free spinning. Although I have not run into these exact issues before, it's common with all Ruger firearms to find minor discrepancies that would not prevent me from buying another Ruger.

Just a few more comments .... even though the Wrangler is nealy identical in design, holds the same, and shoots the same as a Single-Six, if the cost was the same, I'd prefer a Single-Six because I like steel frames and adjustable sights. Fact is, the cost is far from the same. A new "no frills" Single-Six will set you back way more than double the cost of a Wrangler, which makes a Wrangler an excellent "first single action" for anyone.

·
Banned
29,620 Posts
I would get a wrangler if my eyes were better. At 62 even with strong trifocals I need adjustable sights to see the sights properly. My 3 home defense guns LL HAVE LASERS ON THEM AND i NOW SLEEP WITH MY GLASSES NEXT TOT HE BED.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Thanks for posting your impressions. One of those is definitely on my want list.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Saw my first Wranglers tonight..

A silver one and a black one...darned if they didn't both follow me home! Iowegean: whats the chance of you posting some pics of the gate spring modification you did? Loading gates are entirely too stiff for my old hands.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
.... Turns out the Wrangler's cheap black plastic grips are the same as current production grips on Single-Sixes. They feel better than the smooth walnut grips plus black grips contrast better with the silver finish than brown grips. The good news is .... any Single-Six or Blackhawk XR3-RED grips will fit the Wrangler so it allows for many options.

Just a few more comments .... even though the Wrangler is nealy identical in design, holds the same, and shoots the same as a Single-Six, if the cost was the same, I'd prefer a Single-Six because I like steel frames and adjustable sights. Fact is, the cost is far from the same. A new "no frills" Single-Six will set you back way more than double the cost of a Wrangler, which makes a Wrangler an excellent "first single action" for anyone.
Iowegan like you I have a few Single Sixes - a couple of OMs, a stainless NM convertible and since buying the Wrangler I bought a new blued Single Six convertible. The new blued SS convertible is a fixed sight model with a 5.5" barrel so it's a pretty close comparison to my black Wrangler. Regarding the grip panels the Wrangler's are described as "checkered synthetic"and the Single Six's are described as "black checkered hard rubber." Side by side they both look like plastic but not quite the same kind of plastic. The Wrangler panels are more shiny on the back side but both are certainly some kind of synthetic/polymer/plastic material. The Single Six panels use a metal ferrule on both panels and stainless (?) screw while the Wrangler has a black screw and a metal threaded ferrule only on one panel. The Single Six uses a traditional Ruger medallion while the Wrangler's "medallion" is molded into the plastic. Both panels feel very much the same in my hand so it's academic really to point out the differences. But it seems Ruger did shave a few pennies on the Wrangler's grip panels and that all goes toward getting the price down where it is.

I picked up my Wrangler for $179.99 plus tax. The no-frills Single Six convertible was $495.00 plus tax so you're right - the Single Six does cost quite a bit more than the Wrangler. It's no detraction from the Single Six just underscores what a good value the Wrangler is. I don't see it as an either/or proposition - it's all good.

·
Registered
8,244 Posts
All this talk is making it hard not to buy a Wrangler ...

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
Thank you so much for the follow up report that many of us requested you do. We asked and you certainly delivered.

On a personal note, I am slowly getting back into Ruger single actions, after getting rid of them for personal reasons I won't get in to. Speaking of Single Sixes, came a cross an absolute mint Bisley SS adjustable sight version, last, week, made in 1986, which I think is the first year for the Bisley. Beautiful gun, excellent finish, locks up tight and has as good a trigger as I've found on a Ruger SA. Even has a bit of plum on the landing gate. Couldn't pass it up, so back into the Ruger SA game for me. Yup, time for me to look at the Wrangler, too. Would make a nice shooter and back up to the Bisley.

·
16,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
North country gal, I'm so glad to see you come back to Ruger SAs …. they are pretty hard to beat. That's a great Bisley you have …. I have the exact same gun, made in '87. I gussied up my Bisley with a different set of grips (still have the walnuts just like yours) and some gold filler.

Wave, Thanks for posting the pictures and information about the plastic grips versus hard rubber. I thought they were the same material … one with a set of medallions, one without. Now I know, thanks to you.

Akboater, Take a look at post #36 in this thread. https://rugerforum.net/ruger-single-action/375241-against-my-better-judgement-3.html The adjusted gap should be .060"

As I noted in previous posts, I had to file a little off the front surface of the loading gate on my Wrangler so my cylinder will free spin. Today I bought a bottle of silver Testors model paint and mixed a small batch with some Testor's flat black. The mix matched the Cerakoted finish perfectly. While I had the gun apart, I measure the distance between the ends of the loading gate spring. It is .060". I also decided to weight the grip frame because of another related post. A stainless steel XR3-RED type weighs 7.93 oz, an aluminum alloy XR3-RED weighs 3.11 oz, and the Wrangler's zinc alloy grip frame weighs 6.97 oz …. roughly 1 oz lighter than a steel grip frame.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts