Ruger Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
I am really pleased with the wrangler more important so was my wife and surprised how accurate it is .
Did want to point out that it won’t seat Winchester super x and it’s not the first Ruger cylinder that has that issue over the years and a H&R rifle but CCI Federal Remington no problem
Have been moving away from Winchester for some time now just not the same as in the past more duds than any other ammo at least it seems that way to me.it does cycle thru my sons Henry ok .
We did put a little orange glow nail polish on front blade , helped out a lot.
My wife likes it a lot and will burn thru a lot of ammo with it.
And it is getting smoother the more it is shot...might try to slick up the action a little if I can find a how to video.
A great little shooter

·
Super Moderator
4,070 Posts
Thank you so much for the follow up report that many of us requested you do. We asked and you certainly delivered.

On a personal note, I am slowly getting back into Ruger single actions, after getting rid of them for personal reasons I won't get in to. Speaking of Single Sixes, came a cross an absolute mint Bisley SS adjustable sight version, last, week, made in 1986, which I think is the first year for the Bisley. Beautiful gun, excellent finish, locks up tight and has as good a trigger as I've found on a Ruger SA. Even has a bit of plum on the landing gate. Couldn't pass it up, so back into the Ruger SA game for me. Yup, time for me to look at the Wrangler, too. Would make a nice shooter and back up to the Bisley.
Gorgeous pistol! I'm officially jealous.

I used to get a lot out of your perspective and experience with big bores. To some degree your influence contributed to my own boomer addiction. I know you've backed off them but it's good to see you back shooting SA revolvers again.

I'm not a rimfire guy at all. I have a Single Six and I plan to buy a Wrangler or two but I also have one of the new Bisley Single Six's and it's my favorite rimfire by far.

·
Super Moderator
4,070 Posts
Iowegan, not that I needed convincing about the Wrangler but your opinion carries a LOT of weight around here and particularly with me. Thanks for the range report/comparison.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
A stainless steel XR3-RED type weighs 7.93 oz, an aluminum alloy XR3-RED weighs 3.11 oz, and the Wrangler's zinc alloy grip frame weighs 6.97 oz …. roughly 1 oz lighter than a steel grip frame.
More good Iowegan info to file away for future reference.

:D

·
Registered
4,954 Posts
Thanks, Bonk, for the nice comments. Hey, I still shoot the big nasties, now and then, so I guess I'm what you call a somewhat reformed recoil junky. :) Mostly the smaller stuff these days, since we're just punching holes in paper, now, but still devoted revolver fans, both of us and, yes, getting back to a few Ruger's, as above. I suspect there will be a Wrangler in our future, now that I've gotten so much excellent feedback on it from Iowegan and others.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Well, I didn’t want “another” SA but was on the fence with the Wrangler. Iowegan has pushed me off that fence. But I’m not mad. Your excellent review is just one of many I’ve read or YouTubed, including Hickok45 and 22plinkster and they all loved the gun. So what the heck, I’ll get one. Thanks General!

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
Today I got some more range time in with my Wrangler. This time I was able to spend a couple hours (by myself) and wasn't bothered by mosquitos …. but it was HOT. I decided 15 yards was a good distance for me and my old eyes. I started with CCI Mini-Mags, which seem to be the "goto" ammo for most Ruger 22s. After shooting 50 rounds, I changed targets, loaded up with some bulk grade Remington Golden Bullets, and shot 100 rounds. I changed targets and grabbed a couple 50 round boxes of Federal Champions and shot them up too. So far my groups were decent and printed about an inch directly below the bullseye. Not bad for an old guy shooting without a rest and sweating like a fool!

I took a "reactive" target with me …. one of those with 4 steel "paddles" that flip up when you hit them. If the last shot is good, the paddles release and are ready for the next series. I surprised myself and hit 14 in a row. The 15th shot was supposed to reset the targets but all I hit was air. As I shot more "paddles", seems I couldn't hit more than 5 or 6 in a row without a total miss. Back to paper targets …. this time I tried some Wolf Target Match (standard velocity) …. my groups were about 2 1/2" at 15 yards …. not so good. I didn't know if the barrel was getting fouled, bad ammo, or if it was just me. I did a good bore cleaning …. very little residue. My next groups with Wolf ammo were about the same so I switched back to CCIs and the groups shrunk back to what I was shooting before where I could cover the entire group with a 50 cent piece.

In all, I had a great day …. burned up 500+ rounds and learned a few things. I learned adjustable sights are not necessary because all my ammo shot to the same POI, about an inch low. This included normal 40gr high velocity, 36gr hollow points, and standard velocity ammo. I also found out match grade ammo is not so great for Wranglers. I had experienced similar accuracy issues with Single-Sixes …. due to a .224" bore versus a .222" bore for guns like my MK III. That's actually good news because I can stoke my Wrangler with cheap bulk pack ammo and get decent accuracy. I had zero malfunctions of any type ….. not even a dud cartridge.

On my next range trip, I'll take a file and caliper, then adjust the front sight for 'zero" at 15 yards. According to my calculations, I need to remove about .007" from the front sight to get POI and POA in sync.

When I got home, I cleaned the Wrangler again. It now looks like it was never fired! Not even a mark on the finish. I'm very pleased with my new Wrangler …. especially for the price. It's a keeper!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Nice review. Thanks. I got a silver and blue one about two weeks ago and only have about 280 rds thru it so far. Have only shot Federal bulk thru mine with respectable groups and no malfunctions. Mine is a great shooter and I like it.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts