Ruger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A young man I know called my house to see if I would be home for a bit. He came by very shortly afterwards and had an "AK-47" in tow. I do not know much about these rifles, but anyway, he had a cartridge jammed very tight in the chamber. I was able to free it, and it was a 7.62x39, I thought, "What's the problem?", then I saw on the barrel that it was stamped "5.56".

Like I said, I don't know too much about these rifles. Anyway, I've been trying to get his young man to take a course in firearms safety or to at least read some more. His Dad thinks he's an expert on everything and talked the kid into buying this rifle, and neither one knew what ammo to use.

This kid has the biggest collection of junk I've ever seen.

At deer season his dad was surpised to learn that a big ol' boy like me carries a bolt action 257 Roberts, He said, "Isn't that a woman's gun? Guys need to carry an '06 at least!"

What a maroon...

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Sounds like if your hunting any where near this guy, make sure you got your back to a big tree! He might have the right to be armed, but you wonder if he has the ability.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
At deer season his dad was surpised to learn that a big ol' boy like me carries a bolt action 257 Roberts, He said, "Isn't that a woman's gun? Guys need to carry an '06 at least!"
guess he ain't familar with just what the good ole' roberts cartridge can do!

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
The deer have no idea of what they are shot with, and in the right hands ever a very small cal rifle will take the biggest of game.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
A young man I know called my house to see if I would be home for a bit. He came by very shortly afterwards and had an "AK-47" in tow. I do not know much about these rifles, but anyway, he had a cartridge jammed very tight in the chamber. I was able to free it, and it was a 7.62x39, I thought, "What's the problem?", then I saw on the barrel that it was stamped "5.56".

Yikes! That reminds me of an article I read maybe 4 or 5 years back about this young guy (thug would probably be more appropriate) who attempted to rob a convenience store with a semi-auto .22 pistol. He apparently though knew nothing about the gun in which he procured though he did have ammo for it in his pocket which he attempted to load while in the shop. And the ammo -- it was for a .40 S&W!! Needless to say he was caught shortly after he began his botched heist.

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
Sure nuff...

The deer have no idea of what they are shot with, and in the right hands ever a very small cal rifle will take the biggest of game.
Even a bow and arrow will take a deer or a man. It don't have to be an exotic compound bow, it can be a little old conventional wood bow.

Yet to stay on topic, only put the right ammo in your firearm. If you have questions, RTFM, READ THE FINE MANUAL! If you have a scarlet collar then ask someone with a library card.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This young man is small of stature and I tried to steer him to 243, 308, 257s etc for a deer rifle, but his dad insisted on a 3006 or 300WinMag. The kid ended up with a 3006 and hates to shoot it..I did convince him to go to the 150 grainers due to less kick, he was shooting 180s...our deer aren't that big around here....

·
Registered
404 Posts
Sounds like a kid who needs a copy of the Cartridges of the World book. Among other things.

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
This young man is small of stature and I tried to steer him to 243, 308, 257s etc for a deer rifle, but his dad insisted on a 3006 or 300WinMag. The kid ended up with a 3006 and hates to shoot it..I did convince him to go to the 150 grainers due to less kick, he was shooting 180s...our deer aren't that big around here....
Yeah, us old timers feel sometimes that if you ain't got a 30.06 you don't have a basic all around gun.
Ammo used to be real easy to find for it, still is. That was a major point, plus it could double as a battle rifle in a pinch.

One really would have to roll your own loads or shop extensively to draw the great range of diversity that the 30.06 has for hunting applications.

It is not a bad choice if you are only going to have one rifle. If the intent is to have a few then a lighter caliber makes a lot more sense and less pain too.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have nothing against the '06, I have 3 of them, but with his Dad it's the macho factor and nothing else. In an emergency his Dad would be worthless...

For all around rifle I like the 308 and 223,,,,,if the SHTF really bad, there will be plenty of ammo around....

·
Registered
75 Posts
Huh,,, I hunt with a 7 -30 Waters now. Like it for whitetails. Used to think I needed something BIG. I guess it went along with a nickname - "Moose" (due to my petite size,,, 6'6" and 260 lbs).

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
That young man need your help. Take him under your wing and teach him what his father can not. Give him some reading material and expand his knowledge. Then he will know for himself that his father is full of it.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Sounds more like a Saiga than an AK-47. Similar but different as the only calibers that an AK are chambered in are 5.45x39 and 7.62x39.

I think the kids dad is a moron also. You don't shoot or hunt with a specific rifle caliber because someone told you that is what to use. You choose a rifle caliber that will be comfortable for you to shoot so that you shoot it well. Shot placement trumps caliber any day.

·
Registered
235 Posts
i love people who are ignorant on guns i have a friend who thinks a 22lr wouldnt kill a field mouse. we got into a debate one night after a few beers and he said that at 100 yards a .22 would bounce off him like he was super man

·
Registered
320 Posts
This happened in the late 90's.
We drove over to a friends house to pick her up for work.
Her son-in-law was there.
He asked me about "Shooting straight".
I told him that I shoot a 44 mag at 100 yards.And I get very close to where the target is
at.
He told me,in no uncertain terms, "That bullet will never get there ! It'll fall way before the target."
I told him that I've done it several times.(Same with my cousin in Florida)
Neither one of them believed me.I know better.
But,"Never argue with idiots.You won't win.".
So we left for work.
I still do a slow simmer when I think about it.
You guys have a good week.

·
Banned
164 Posts

Like I said, I don't know too much about these rifles. Anyway, I've been trying to get his young man to take a course in firearms safety or to at least read some more. His Dad thinks he's an expert on everything and talked the kid into buying this rifle, and neither one knew what ammo to use.

This kid has the biggest collection of junk I've ever seen.

What a maroon...

There's a definite difference between an AK-47 and an AK-74!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts