Ruger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They're still a danger...

Leftover ordinance

Having to consider the possibility that with every shovel of dirt you turn, you might find aging explosives - not a comforting thought.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Not too far from where I live, in the west of Flanders, there are still loads of WW1 bombs in the fields. Farmers regularly dig them up, throw them to the side of the road so that the army can come get them.

Last year even, a farmer hit a phosgene bomb, he had to run from his tractor as the gas leaked from the ordinance.

In that region, there is a whole depot of old dug-up bombs, as they still find more than can be safely processed. And this is from 100 years ago...

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,556 Posts
wow! a suicide bomber's dream playground.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Are you kidding? That same dang thing happens right here in the good ol' USofA!

Those of us who live in Orlando should know all about the old Pine Castle bombing range, right next to the original Orlando Air Station during WW2, what's now the Orlando International Airport (MCO, for McCoy Airfield). As Orlando spread to the southeast, somehow folks forgot about the old bombing range, and built roads, homes, and *schools* right over those unexploded bombs.

Old news story about it, story still continues to this day->
Orlando bombing range: Corps of Engineers says that so far it has found no hazardous chemicals at homes built on an old bombing range - Orlando Sentinel

There are stories like this in other parts of Florida, too.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I was sound asleep one Sunday morning at Harvey Barracks in Kitzingen, Germany when a 500 lbs. thin skin bomb went up. When I got to the window the dirt was still going up. The only injury was a thumb dislocated opening the mess hall door. That door normally opened in but opened out that day.

·
Banned
9,381 Posts
There's unexploded ordinance laying all over the world from WW1 & WW2. North Africa has thousands of mine left from the German , British, and Americans fighting there. I was watching a show about it a while back. the shifting sand uncovers them, then covers them back up. This one fella, a one legged herdsman thanks to a old WW2 mine, , showed the camera crew a whole area with mines exposed. It looked like a 100 acre mine field. They said the local government didn't care or concern themselves with getting them out of there while they were exposed.
Ive also ready where the farmers in France & Belgium still turn up WW1 ordinance with their plows. Iron has a way of moving itself to the surface over time.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Kaboom!

I was sound asleep one Sunday morning at Harvey Barracks in Kitzingen, Germany when a 500 lbs. thin skin bomb went up. When I got to the window the dirt was still going up. The only injury was a thumb dislocated opening the mess hall door. That door normally opened in but opened out that day.
I was at Larson Barracks that morning,and slept through it! Seems that a bomber group was on a run to bomb the ball bearing factory in Schweinfurt. Because of cloudy weather they had to jettison the bombs in a lake on the way back to England. That lake was actually a Luftwaffe air field that was flooded with water from the Main river to conceal it from Allied bombers. The roof of the bowling alley caved in,but that was all the damage that was done. If it had been a weekday,it would have been devastating.

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
I'm showing the wife this. No more yard work for me! :D

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
There is a park nearby that was used as a WWII test bombing range, I remember a couple of times in the past that they had to detonate live ordinance out there...rattled the windows to our house and we were pretty far away. They just did a complete survey for ordinance in 2013 just to make sure, so hopefully it is all gone now.

Hate to be digging my rod holder into the sand at the beach there and blow something up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts