Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally bought a new gun for CCW, after moving to Kentucky from California. It is a gun I have fired before. It is an XDs 45. I must say the experience was surreal for it to be faster than most fast food. I suppose I assumed it would take a few minutes at least for NICS, but it went through before I even got my ID back in my wallet. Other than filling out the 4473, there was no delay.

Anyhow, brought it home, field stripped it, removed any excess grease and then I practiced loading it with some dummy rounds I made (FMJś). Failed to feed on the first round! Get it cleared, 2nd round... fail to feed.. 3rd round went in, but the recoil spring was sticking out and the slide would not rack until I removed the magazine.

I took it apart very slowly. I cannot see anyway I could have assembled it wrong (not my first rodeo anyway). But I cleaned it again, reassembled and now it seems fine. I ran a magazine (dummy rounds) racking it.

Still I am a little worried. Could it be the FMJ? What could have caused it?

·
Registered
602 Posts
id guess a lil goof on reassembly or maybe your dummy rounds are seated to far out or back or try it with real ammo and if it keeps it up tear down and reinspect, no company is perfect an mistakes happen, though i doubt it on a spingfield

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, my calipers show the rounds are fine. And it hasn't done it again with real ammo either.

I suppose I am extra paranoid as this was an expense that was very hard for me to save for.

Maybe the recoil spring was not properly seated the first time?

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
The XDs in 45 is a snappy little gun, I even run +P 45s in mine. Took me about 35 to 40 rounds to break in and ever since, flawless, even used it in tight quarters traing with 300+ rounds of Silver Bear. That is really dirty stuff and it kept firing...

Go live with it at the range with store baught ammo first and dont limp wrist it anticipating the recoil.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Congratulations.
All's good that ends well..... ;)

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The XDs in 45 is a snappy little gun, I even run +P 45s in mine. Took me about 35 to 40 rounds to break in and ever since, flawless, even used it in tight quarters traing with 300+ rounds of Silver Bear. That is really dirty stuff and it kept firing...

Go live with it at the range with store baught ammo first and dont limp wrist it anticipating the recoil.
Good advice! I am not worried about limp wristing. At this point all I have are .45s and 357 magnums (I have .22 guns, but never any ammo!)

But I have some 300 rounds of Winchester white box. Will use that to break in next weekend. If weather permits.

I got the .45 instead of the 9mm in part because I already have .45 and plan to reload it (for practice only of course).

·
Registered
17,258 Posts
I really enjoy shootin my XDs .45. It's even a fun plinker with fairly light recoil. I could shoot it all day long, and it's more accurate than I thought it would be.

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
I really enjoy shootin my XDs .45. It's even a fun plinker with fairly light recoil. I could shoot it all day long, and it's more accurate than I thought it would be.
+1 I too enjoy shooting my XDs .45. Lots of people reporting having problems with the seven round magazines, but I have 5, 5, and 7 round magazines and all have worked flawlessly.

·
Registered
10 Posts
first & foremost many who own this gun are not able to rack the slide with enough gusto to load the 1st round, at least not until the pistol is broken in .
Try loading the 1st round with the slide locked back and a dummy round in the mag & release the slide lock and see what happens.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
nice pistol. bought the first one I saw when they hit the market. surprisingly accurate and reliable. I had to polish the feed ramp and the chamber a little to make her run perfectly.
no big hairy deal. maintain a stout grip and blaze away.
welcome to our addiction. nice to see you moved to the land of the free.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts