Ruger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious about both of these pistols. I have two XDm's and love them both. But the size of the XDs along with it being a .45 caliber, really sounded interesting to me. I wanted to try the Kimber Solo as well, or the Sig 938, but they didn't have these available for rent.

First the G26. I'm not a Glock fan and have never owned one. But I can't deny they're good guns. I had mixed feelings about the G26. I liked it's size, weight and round count, but the trigger was very long and somewhat mushy. The Glock sights also take some getting used to. On a 1 - 10 scale, I'd give it 8. The length of the trigger pull and lack of feedback for reset turned me off from this gun, but for what it's intended, it's pretty darned good! Would I buy one? Undecided, but probably not.

Next I tried out the XDs. I had high hopes for this little guy, despite it's low round count (5+1) it packs a wallop with it's .45. I really wanted to like this gun. It had a great trigger, well balanced, easy to operate, extremely concealable, but...

The "but" is that this little sucker kicks so hard it was mangling my trigger finger after every shot! Maybe it will work for someone with stronger hands, than my aging pair. The red fiber optic was nice, too. So much better than the Glock U rear sight. Would I buy one? No Way!

NOTE: flier at 5 yards was due to it's very light trigger, as are two fliers at 7 yards.

NOTE: had another flier at 10 yards for the same reason. At 15 they were all fliers! :eek:

Then I switched to my trusty SR9c and my Colt Defender .45.

NOTE: This was my last target, so I overused it. :) The two black circles are both from the SR9c as is the center area above the two dots. The outer tops were from my Defender.

NOTE: black dots - SR9c, the rest Colt Defender.

My Defender is my EDC, but I love my SR9c. It just keeps getting better and better!

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
My wife's owned 2 Glock 26's...the first one she loved whereas the second one just didn't work that well for her! She now owns a Gen II Glock 19, which fits her hand much better than either of her G-26's! I have a Gen II Glock 23...and I like much better than the Gen III version I had!

I grew up with revolvers and I like the Glock trigger! I cannot stand DA, then SA for the remainder of my rounds like Beretta and Sig Sauer provide! I'm okay with a SAO with a 1911...the wife and I just prefer Glocks over the other options...although I am interested in an SR9c!

·
Registered
272 Posts
Have you tried standard pressure 185 grain ammo?

Being low pressure, a .45 ACP cartridge with a 185 gr. bullet will have less recoil than the higher pressure .40 S&W cartridge with a 180 gr. bullet.

If you reload, Precision Delta sells 1,000 185 gr. JHP bullets for $138.

If you don't reload, Winchester White Box 185 gr. FMJ and Remington UMC 185 gr. FMJ are between $25 to $30 per box.

Good luck :)

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
I do not own a XD, but I have shot them. I do not like the palm safety. I do own a G26 it is a tack driver and one of my favorite automatics.

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have you tried standard pressure 185 grain ammo?

Being low pressure, a .45 ACP cartridge with a 185 gr. bullet will have less recoil than the higher pressure .40 S&W cartridge with a 180 gr. bullet.

If you reload, Precision Delta sells 1,000 185 gr. JHP bullets for $138.

If you don't reload, Winchester White Box 185 gr. FMJ and Remington UMC 185 gr. FMJ are between $25 to $30 per box.

Good luck :)
I do reload and hadn't considered that. At the range I rent from, they decide which ammo you can run in their guns.

Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I'm planning on picking up an XDS. It's the perfect solution for me as I only stock up on .45 ACP. I need a smaller gun for when it's really hot and humid outside in my state. Trying to dress around a 1911 when it's 100 degrees and 100 percent humidity is no fun. I think I actually melt a little bit.

I've considered diversifying, but having everything in only one caliber is really nice. I can shoot .45 ACP from double action revolvers, single action revolvers, 1911s, polymer framed service sized striker fired semiautos, DA/SA semiautos, XDS and other small conceal carry semiautos, shoulder-fired carbines, and so on.

You can use the same bullets, primers, and powder in .45 ACP and .45 Colt for some added versatility. The only other reloading component you would need to stock up on is .45 Colt brass.

The .45 ACP works in just about every design out there.

The small conceal carry niche seemed to be the only design missing. When I saw the XDS come out at Shot Show 2012, I became really interested in the little gun.

I'm interested in your opinion of the little gun with some 185 gr. ammo.

I think you'll find it easier to shoot.

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I'm planning on picking up an XDS. It's the perfect solution for me as I only stock up on .45 ACP. I need a smaller gun for when it's really hot and humid outside in my state. Trying to dress around a 1911 when it's 100 degrees and 100 percent humidity is no fun. I think I actually melt a little bit.

I've considered diversifying, but having everything in only one caliber is really nice. I can shoot .45 ACP from double action revolvers, single action revolvers, 1911s, polymer framed service sized striker fired semiautos, DA/SA semiautos, XDS and other small conceal carry semiautos, shoulder-fired carbines, and so on.

You can use the same bullets, primers, and powder in .45 ACP and .45 Colt for some added versatility. The only other reloading component you would need to stock up on is .45 Colt brass.

The .45 ACP works in just about every design out there.

The small conceal carry niche seemed to be the only design missing. When I saw the XDS come out at Shot Show 2012, I became really interested in the little gun.

I'm interested in your opinion of the little gun with some 185 gr. ammo.

I think you'll find it easier to shoot.
The only way I can shoot one again would be to rent it again. They push HPR ammo and that's what is required to shoot their rentals. Then I'd have make sure they have any 185g .45, hopefully with a lighter load.

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
The only time I shot 185g .45's was from my Colt Defender. They were Remington Golden Sabres and are also +P's. Those things have a bit of kick to them, too.

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You Glock guys, do you know if the trigger can be tamed on the 26? Shorter, smoother, more crisp with repeatable break and maybe even lighter? I think I'd like it if it had a trigger like my XDm's.

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
You Glock guys, do you know if the trigger can be tamed on the 26? Shorter, smoother, more crisp with repeatable break and maybe even lighter? I think I'd like it if it had a trigger like my XDm's.
Yes it can be tamed just do a little searching on the net to get your parts, my 26 has a real nice trigger, I got the parts from the glock store.

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes it can be tamed just do a little searching on the net to get your parts, my 26 has a real nice trigger, I got the parts from the glock store.
I'll take a look. I guess that's a good place to start. One thing about Glocks is that there's almost too much stuff out there.

Thanks for the tip!

My LGS friend/owner just showed me a picture of his limited edition nickel boron model. Now that's a pretty Glock!

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have and carry a Glock 26 daily. I feel it is close to the perfect carry gun. I use to be a 1911 guy but the Glocks are just too easy to carry.
When I want to carry a 45 I will grab the Ruger P97.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I love shooting my XDS and I am 61! Several handguns and I remain Glock free.

·
Registered
658 Posts
My XDs is beginning to grow on me. Awful stiff in every way out of the box but loosens up, including the trigger as you said. I put a pretty good two handed hold on pistols when I shoot, so I thought recoil was better than I was expecting. I owned a Glock 27 for quite a while which is the 26s .40 brother. I did like it and was dependable. If the XDs stays as dependable, I think it'll get the nod for me.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts