Ruger Forum banner

Xds

4K views 24 replies 18 participants last post by  30cal 
#1 ·
Went to a gun show today. Made the acquaintance of a Springfield xds45. Man, that looked sweet. Nice small package, grip safety, quality name. But a big caliber in such a small pistol, makes me wary. Anybody here shot one of these? Sure wish they made one in a 9mm.

#2 ·
Been a lot of issues with them. I had one and had a lot of FTF, light strikes, couldn't eject the last round out by hand. I think it would be a better platform as a 9mm. On the other hand there has been reports of others saying they have no problems with them. I sold mine and picked up a Sig 1911 Ultra Compact. About the same size, little heavier but works fantastic.
I also like my SRC 9 and 40 much better than I did the XDS. Never had any problem with either of them.
Another really good choice for a light weight and small pistol is the S&W Shield.

#3 ·
I own a xds and have 400 rounds through it without a issue. I did install a powder river trigger spring kit and use the smaller supplied backstrap. I use the factory 5 round mag and also springfields 7 round with good luck with both. Used WWB 230 for the first 250 rounds before using any defense rounds. Winchester PDXI run good in mine. See if a local range has any to rent and if it shoots low see if they have the smaller backstrap. For me it seemed to change the pitch of the gun. I know the early models had some FTF issues. According to Springfield a 9mm and .40 are in the works. The xds is my EDC and trust my life with it. Also the recoil is not what I expected from such a compact .45

#5 ·
I was hot to buy one. I've got an XDm45 and an XDm9c and love them both. My LGS had one for rent, so I tried it out! And sadly, it's a big NO for me. That little sucker kicked like a mule! It hurt my trigger finger after a couple of magazines through it.

I like the idea, but it just doesn't work for me. My EDC CC is my 3" Colt Defender .45 1911. The recoil on it is very controllable and predictable. I just found the recoil on the XDs as unacceptable for me.

#7 ·
Yep, a 9mm and a .40. I suspect they'll be out early next year.

#8 ·
just bought for CCW. 35 rounds beat me up yesterday but my hands were pretty cold. No problems so far. Its accurate up close for me so its a keeper. holster and rubberized talon grips on order, then extended mags and eventually night sites.

#10 ·
I like my SR9C and 40C much better. They carry more rounds and they work all the time. My XDS I had may have been an earlier model but it was just not reliable. I'm glad to hear that others are having good luck with theirs. Maybe when a 40 comes out I'll look at one again.

#11 ·
Hickok45 does a YT video and he shoots the heck out of one without any seeming discomfort. It has to have a kick being that small, though. I have a Kel Tec P-11 and it's not a range gun, I just shoot it enough to stay in practice. I would treat the XDs the same, and it is on my short list.

#12 ·
I own one and love it. It was actually the cover article of the NRA magazine this month and it's a great article with lots of good info. It's not a beginners gun as it doesn't react well to limp wristing and I believe a lot of problems that people have encountered are because of this. The only failures of mine were ammo related while I was working up some reload recipes for it.

It's very pleasant to shoot for what it is. I've shot similar sized guns in other calibers (PPS in 40, baby glocks) and find this much easier to shoot.

I'm a big fan of 45 so was thrilled to find this gun.

#13 ·
hurt so good

I realize 35 rounds isn't a real break-in period. Did 60 rounds this time wearing cycling gloves with a lightly padded palm and a couple breaks to shoot the 9. Still no mechanical issues. Think the cold and conditioning played a big part of feeling sore after 35 rounds on Sat. I mention conditioning because I don't do a ton of shooting compared to some here. Shortly after packing up today, the hand was starting to feel good like you feel after working out.

#14 ·
I realize 35 rounds isn't a real break-in period. Did 60 rounds this time wearing cycling gloves with a lightly padded palm...
I know from you previous post you have some rubberized grips on order. Have you thought about trying a Hogue handal jr.? They're pretty inexpensive and may be readily available at your LGS. The checkered grips on one of these looks like it could be pretty uncomfortable after a short while.

#15 ·
I've fired 100 rounds several times with mine and wished I had another 100. I think the recoil is fairly light and would much rather shoot the XDs than the LC9 or LCP. What really impressed me about this little pistol with a big ol hole is the accuracy and the trigger. Plinking cans at 25-30 yards are no problem.

#16 ·
I hear ya' on that! While the LC9 really didn't kick like the XDs, it hurt my finger from rubbing on the trigger guard during the extrememly l-o-n-g trigger pull. The one time I shot an XDs, it was snapping up so violently during recoil that it hurt my trigger finger, too. Those are the only two guns that have ever done that to me. I really want to like the XDs. I may rent one again and see if possibly there was anything I was doing wrong.

#17 ·
I've had my XDS since July and have a few hundred rounds through it. It can be difficult to rack the first round in, or to eject it without some muscle at the end of the day, but mine has fired 100%. I've even tried limp-wristing it to see if it jammed, and it hasn't. It's very accurate for a pistol of any size, and the recoil is much lighter, in my opinion, than a Glock 26's. If you get one, I doubt you will dislike it. I just wish I could hurry up and get another thousand rounds or so through mine.

#18 ·
Myself and six other folks from my gun club all ordered ours at the same time from our FFL member. I personally have over 1000 rounds of various brands of ammunition including my own handloads downrange without a single bobble. I find it a joy to shoot and very accurate to boot. It has become my most carried sidearm as of late and I can't think of anything negative to say about it. As a group purchase we got them for under $500 each but I see they're getting around $600 or more for them now. Sad indeed.

#19 ·
I have had an XDS for about 4 months and have shot it a lot, reloads with my own cast 230 RN and some factory + P stuff and I don't any problems with it's recoil I think the DB9
has more recoil but I like small CCW'S it's my favorite my next is my LC9 which eats everything, both pistols I have had no FTF or FTE.

#21 ·
I've had my XDS for a while now, and it's honestly a soft shooting gun. Much, much, much more fun/comfortable to shoot than a J frame revolver which I used to carry.

It seems they were very hard to find at first, then there was a bunch of them, and now the supply is dwindling down again.

Me thinks Springfield is going to unveil a 9mm and .40 version at the Shot Show and I base that on the fact that the holster that comes with the XDS has .45, 40, and 9mm printed on the back of it...lol

Great gun in .45, I might get a .40 just for the heck of it.

#22 ·
A friend has one and he let me shoot it. Nicepistol, no issues, and the recoil was not a problem. The tank tread checkering on the grip was painful after several rounds, but then it's not a plinker, after all. The fiber optic front sight REALLY stands out.

Bottom line, I'd buy one.

#25 ·
It's my CCW and I love it. I've had mine since August of last year. It's certainly not a range gun but a CCW gun. It's very small, light, and recoil isn't all that bad although some guys are pansies about it. Bottom line is, if you want a firearm that is easy to carry and has the knockdown power of a .45 ACP, the XDS is for you. If not, perhaps a pea shooting .380 if recoil is a concern.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.