Ruger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I'm in the Process of turning my SR9 into a great fighting pistol. I got a Blackhawk drop leg platform and Serpa CQC holster to go with it. It's awesome and drawing has never been easier. I've got Talon Grips coming in the mail to improve gripping power. And now I'm thinking about sighting options. I'm leaning towards the XS Big Dot sights because they get great reviews as SD sights. Some people have trouble with them at longer distances, but I think that is a training issue that can be addressed. They seem that in a SD scenario they'd be the best for fast sight acquisition and for follow up shots.

My question is, will the pistol fit into the Serpa holster with the Big Dot sights? I sent an e-mail to XS asking but I just can't wait until Monday to find out!! If anyone has experience with this I would love to know. Thanks!

·
CARSON-WEST - 2016
6,784 Posts
The problem w/ the BD's at distance is that the golf ball covers up too much of the target. The accuracy problem is compounded by the short sight radius of most CCW pistols. But that's what they're for, defensive CCW purposes and not distance target shooting. I haven't experienced a better sight for target acquisition speed though, which is why they're on both of my CCW pistols. What do you plan to use the drop platform for?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The drop platform is part of my SHTF gear. I feel like the reach to my thigh is more natural than the reach to my waist. I love the retention of the Serpa and how quick I can draw. I really don't shoot pistols farther than 25 yards. Beyond that I would use a rifle. So if they are combat accurate out to 25 yards I think I would be ok. I've seen James Yeager use them out to 100 yards. I really don't think I could shoot that well with the stock three dot sights.

I am leery about not being able to shoot well at longer distances cause I have read horror stories about the XS sights. Some people love them and some hate them. I'm really more concerned with combat accuracy/speed than super tight groups.

·
CARSON-WEST - 2016
6,784 Posts
If you're looking to draw, be on target, and fire at social distances, then it's a great sight system. It's almost like having a red dot. Put the dot on the target and pull the trigger.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts