Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am currently in the market for a pocket pistol and looking at something to carry as a BUG. I have a P95 with 2 15 rd. mags and been shot less than 40 times. I also have a P89 that I love just as much as the 95. A guy is wanting to trade me my P95 for his LNIB LCP with a leather holster, pocket holster and box of shells for it. He said its been shot about 20 times and his wife doesn't like the recoil. I just cant make myself trade my full size P95 9mm for a small pocket gun 380. If I do. I still have the P89 thats just as new and good as the 95. What would you people do?

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
LCR or LCP? That is a big difference in the answer. LCR in 38 or 357 I would do in a heartbeat. LCP, that depends on how bad you want a BUG in a different caliber. Not sure that I would do that trade, but that's just me.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LCP, sorry. I changed it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I've had the LCR (38 Sp.) for about a year, now, and really love it. I mostly carry IWB as it's just a little large for my jeans pocket (and, being a packrat, I usually have a lot of stuff in my pockets anyhow;-). The recoil is pretty strong, so the LCR probably wouldn't be your favorite range gun, but you'd be very confident of stopping any BG with it...and, there's no scrambling for a safety, racking a slide or pulling a hammer back, of course. I've gotta admit that my wife is more accurate with it than I am -- the recoil hurts my arthritic thumb(!:), and I'm apparently anticpating that and "pull" just a bit when shooting. Still, I feel very comfortable with it as a carry and I'm impressed with Ruger quality. Hope that may help just a little.

...OK, I see we're talking LCP. Never mind:)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are you talking about the L.C.P. .380 automatic or the L.C.R. .38/.357?
Sorry, I made a typo in my first post. its for a LCP 380. sorry guys.

·
Registered
44 Posts
...no prob. I did look closely at the LCP for carry, but it just didn't "feel" right...maybe too small? I never did shoot it, though. That's when I bought the LCR, and went on to get a Sig P238 for carrying, also. Love them both. Based on my limited experience with the LCP I'd think long and hard before trading the P95. FWIW.

·
Banned
56 Posts
quite a bit of difference in the round between the 9mm and .380. Less knock down power and liter bullet. I would find a smaller 9mm if it was me. I sometimes carry a .380 CZ-82 converted to .380. But I just like that gun. Just food for thought.

·
Retired Moderator & Jazz Nerd
16,351 Posts
While the choice is your's, I would never consider trading a P95 for an LCP as a drop down in caliber, durability & longevity doesn't seem like a good deal just to get a BUG. Listen to that little voice inside your head that says you'll regret doing it ;)

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Don't do it...go shoot the LCP first and then decide. Also I've seen LCPs for sale @ only $279 NEW
!

·
Registered
840 Posts
I have a P94 I almost sold but am glad that I didn't. I would keep your P series and buy the LCR. I like the revolvers simplicity and dependability. My normal carry is SP101 DAO 38/357.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
I would say no dice. I'd keep my p series.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the replies and opinions. I will hang onto my P95 and go another road to get a BUG. Thanks to all!

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Nay!

·
Registered
356 Posts
I had a range instructor who once looked at my .25 cal. Beretta and told me that the only way I was ever going to hurt someone with it was to get'em close and throw the gun at'em. I've kinda felt that way about the LCP since it first came out. It just doesn't seem like a BUG candidate. My opinion only, your mileage may vary, etc.

·
Retired Moderator & Jazz Nerd
16,351 Posts
Thanks for all the replies and opinions. I will hang onto my P95 and go another road to get a BUG. Thanks to all!
In the long run, you won't be sorry :)

·
Banned
4,564 Posts
nope

1 - 20 of 21 Posts