Ruger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was able to trade into a very gently used GP100 Match Champion last week. It is my first full size revolver.

I put about 50 rounds through her last weekend and it was a bunch of fun. Though, the double action trigger was a bit heavy. It exceeded the 10lb limit on my cheap Timney scale. My best guess was it was right at 12 lbs. the single action pull measured 4-4.25 lbs and was nice to shoot.

So, I ordered a Wolff Springs shooters pack to see what could be done. Mostly, I wanted to tinker as I have never done something like this before and the videos looked pretty straight forward. I went slow and it took about two hours...mainly because it took me a while to figure how to reinstall the shims. I think I could do it in 30 minutes now that I know what I'm doing. I installed the 10 lb hammer spring and the 8 lb trigger spring. DA pull is now 8.75-9lbs and the SA pull is just under 3 lbs. I test fired 30 rounds today and no problems.

I still am not real consistent shooting it but hopefully that will come with practice. When I do my part it shoots great! The GP100 will be a plinker and eventually be a ranch gun when my wife and I find that perfect weekend property.

This revolver thing is fun. :D

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just realized that was first post. I have been on here a lot and learned even more. I figured I must have posted at some point...but I guess not.

Thanks for the feedback. This one just "felt right" in my hand. I couldn't believe how soft it shoots 38 special. Tons of fun. Shooting 357 Magnum isn't as bad as I thought it would be but you can certainly tell the difference! Twelve 357 was definitely enough for one session.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Congrats on your new GP100! That is one fine looking revolver. I think you will be very satisfied with your spring conversion, that's about the same weight springs that I use.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts