Ruger Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll put photos of two targets up tonight when I get home. But I wanted to say that I understand what Iowegan has taught me about bullet and bore diameters, and I can not think of any reason why the .22 magnum wouldn't be more accurate than the .22LR.

But time after time, the opposite holds true for me. My targets with .22LR have much better groups than with the magnum. I can't explain it, but I know it's not like how I'm more accurate with my GP100 shooting .38 than .357 -- I'm certain much of that is psychological as I anticipate the recoil. The .22 mag doesn't recoil, and I'm quite comfortable with it, I'm just not as accurate.

Just as well, because the reason I got the gun was to practice shooting with inexpensive ammo, and that magnum ammo is not that cheap.

Still much more difference between 7 and 10 yards than I'd like to see. But this Single Six sure was a good purchase, I really love shooting it.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
17,226 Posts
EddieF, In theory, the 22 Mags should shoot better and usually they do. You may have lucked out and got a barrel with a tighter bore or got unlucky with the throats in the 22 Mag cylinder being too tight. Either condition will make the gun favor 22 LRs.

Now if you really want those 22 LRs to shoot tight, get one of these: http://www.leverguns.com/store/acurizer.htm`

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Heard about them but wondered if it was all sales hype. I didn't know they resized the bullet. Please explain how this is done using the tool?

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
17,226 Posts
jimbo1096, The Paco Kelly tool is a bit crude but after you get the hang of it, you can turn out very uniform bullets.

First you insert the 22 LR cartridge in a die that resembles a pistol chamber. You then place the base on a hard surface, insert a punch in the top of the die, and smack it with a hammer (here's where the calibrated hammer blow comes in). The hammer blow on the punch hits the bullet nose and bumps up the bullet diameter to the size of the die (about .224"). There are additional punches available for making different bullet noses.

Once the bullets are bumped up in diameter, they shoot much tighter groups than unaltered ammo in a Single-Six Convertible. I tried them in both my 10/22s and MK III pistol but they wouldn't cycle. Same with my bolt guns. You can force the bolt closed but there wasn't any improvement in accuracy. I have an old Hopkins-Allen 22 single shot rife with the bore almost shot out of it. The bumped up bullets did work very well in that gun.

I have about a dozen 22 Single-Six convertibles and all showed great accuracy improvement with Paco's tool. My bench rest groups typically run from 3 to 5 inches with normal ammo @ 25 yds. With cheap bulk Federal 22s and the Paco tool, my bench groups shrunk to about an inch at 25 yards with a couple guns but no more than 2" with any of my S/Ss. I'd say that was a good improvement.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Iowegan, would you mind describing your bench rest position with a handgun? I mean, what you're resting on, whether or not your elbows are resting, etc?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts