Ruger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone using a Yankee Hill Machine YHM-3302-MB-24A brake on a .308 or other .30 cal? I'd be interested in knowing if it 1) provides good recoil reduction 2) kicks up any dust (not mentioned in description) and/or 3) affords any significant (incidental) flash suppression (none advertised). Many thanks.

Phantom 7.30 Cal. Q.D. Muzzle Brake

·
Registered
7,847 Posts
I know functionality is what is important. But dang this looks like some kind of plumbing fixture on the end of the barrel.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
LOL! Yeah, I think you could fire it into a clogged drain and expect results.

Hmm...I found a good price for this, along with a thread protector (I'm not in the market for a suppressor) at Yankee Hill Machine Company YHM-3302-MB-24A Phantom 7.62 Q.D. Muzzle Brake Online Gun Store but they are requiring a Class III registration. I'm confused. YHM appears to sell these items (NOT suppressors) directly w/o any special anything. What am I missing?

EDIT: The Class III requirement was mistaken, the fault of an over-zealous webpage...

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
Are you planning to attach a YHM suppressor? If not, I would look elsewhere as there are cheaper alternatives for recoil reduction.

A suppressor however does offer a lot of recoil reduction as well as sound reduction.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are you planning to attach a YHM suppressor? If not, I would look elsewhere as there are cheaper alternatives for recoil reduction.

A suppressor however does offer a lot of recoil reduction as well as sound reduction.
Not presently, but I'd like to have the option in the future, hence the YHM brake. See edited reply above. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
I would highly recommend the PWS muzzle brakes. The PRC eliminates muzzle rise on the SR762 (as verified on video at the range). Supposedly designed not to kick up as much dust if fired prone.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Looks like the YHM brake is threaded 5/8-24 to thread onto the barrel.
And also has what appears to be an Acme type thread at the base to accept their proprietary suppressor. Looks like it simply screws and locks right onto the brake.
Most suppressors screw directly onto the 5/8-24 threaded barrel.
A flash hider and a brake perform different tasks.
Contrary to what many think, as light travels in pretty much a straight line, you cannot hide a muzzle flash from someone you are shooting at.
The flash hider is used only to reduce the muzzle flash and spread out the flash, so you don't get flash blinded at night when firing your rifle. Not to hide your flash signature from others.
A brake actually pushes forward on the rifle to counter recoil. Traditionally they port out the sides so as to reduce the dust signature. However there are also radial brakes. Meaning the holes exit radially without direction.
These radial brakes kick up crap loads of dust when shooting in a prone position.
Not one of my favs.
A compensator actually uses the spent gases to push down on the end of the barrel to reduce muzzle jump normally associated with rapid engagement.

I use a Fortis RED hybrid brake/compensator on my Gunsite Scout in .308.
It has dual side ports for the brake that exit out both sides. No dust signature.
It also has ports out the top to counter the muzzle jump associated with the .308 and a short barrel.
Pretty much zero muzzle jump and although the .308 doesn't really need it, reduced recoil.
The result. I can see the bullet impact at 100yds.
Before the Fortis RED, I lost target visual and had to regain sight on the target prior to a second follow up shot if required.
Now, no more muzzle jump.

And it's cheaper than the YHM, comes in blue or stainless, and they will send it to you thru the mail. No tax stamp.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts