Ruger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is your favorite day and time to head off to the range?

I like to go late afternoon 15:00 to 17:00 on Saturday or Sunday, or both!
I always pack the 9mm with about 100 rounds, along with 1 or 2 of the rifles and 20 to 40 rounds...

Today I'll be shooting the Remington 7400 in .270, as bobcat and coyote season opens today...

...and this next weekend I'll be going to the local nursery's tree farm... about 80 acres of wild and wooly!

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
You keep posting those pictures that look like you could reach right into them-all that from that camera you showed us or do you have to tweak the picture some? That rifle shell looks like you could reach and get it.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
quote:Originally posted by white dog

Those breakfast pictures and cartridge pictures are very good. RNettles knows his stuff.
+1 His pics are always great! Mine are about as artistic as my stick man drawings.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
One of these days I'll be able to come close to doing the same thing. In junior college now and I'm in no hurry to get out. Studying digital photography. I was over there taking film photograph for 7 years so I'm in no hurry unless I get to thinking about green bananas.

·
Registered
557 Posts
After reading about you going to the range this morning I decided I needed to go too. Here's a shot of what my range looks like along with my "benchrest". :D

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
That looks like my idea of a great range 2400, out in the toolies with no one else around. My idea of a good range day is like John H. Fox, any day any time, I'm retired too

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
2400-what have you been shooting???Some pretty big holes in them thar hills. Is that country pristine or have Indians and settlers been there before? Any big caves?

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
quote:Originally posted by RNettles

What is your favorite day and time to head off to the range?

I like to go late afternoon 15:00 to 17:00 on Saturday or Sunday, or both!
I always pack the 9mm with about 100 rounds, along with 1 or 2 of the rifles and 20 to 40 rounds...

Today I'll be shooting the Remington 7400 in .270, as bobcat and coyote season opens today...
...and this next weekend I'll be going to the local nursery's tree farm... about 80 acres of wild and wooly!
So... How did it go?

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It went good... because of the barrel heat, I am having to align my scope with the barrel "stone cold", since that is what condition it is in while deer hunting... Cold it is little high and left... I adjust after two, then wait to check it a few days later. However, the first two shots were 1/4" group at 85 yards. I really wish there was some way to overcome this heat issue... as after 3 rounds POI starts down and right...:(

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I never took physics, but if there's material that when wrapped around plumbing pipes or a/c pipes holds heat or cold, isn't there a material that would wick off or absorb the heat enough to keep the barrel stable?

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
quote:Originally posted by sheepdog

I never took physics, but if there's material that when wrapped around plumbing pipes or a/c pipes holds heat or cold, isn't there a material that would wick off or absorb the heat enough to keep the barrel stable?
Probably, but it might effect barrel vibration which also has a great effect on accuracy. Interesting idea.
Tom

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I never understood floating barrel and glass bedding and such-but I don't shoot hi-power rifle, either.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts