Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, actually you probably have. :)
Here it is bone stock, still dirty from its first outing.

I picked up my new 3-5-7 magnum revolver yesterday. Giving it a good look over, I couldn't spot any flaws and the action didn't feel gritty at all so I decided to put a few rounds through it. Just 48 total including Magtech 125gr and 158gr 38spl and 20 Blazer aluminum 357 loads I had left over from my last rental session a few months ago. The gun is quite accurate with all these loads, but my control today very hit-and-miss (pun intended). Just one of those days I guess. The best group was this one - double action at 7 yds with the 357. I think that is all 6 rounds but at least 5.

Way better than the single action group to the left. What the frack?

Single action from 5yds was pretty good:

Good single action from 7ds and a horrendous double action from 7yds. Oy! :eek:

Just looking at these groups you might conclude that it is shooting high but I'm going to reserve judgment on that. That black front sight indoors is not good for me. I had more ammo but decided to call it quits until I get better sights on it and can try shooting from a rest (this was all standing two-handed).

I did have some issues with cases not extracting well, but I didn't clean it at all before shooting so again, I'm reserving judgment on that.

Overall, I'm very pleased with it. Great starting point. I do plan on changes. New grips immediately (already have a set of larger Letts) and sights pretty soon(probably Williams fire sights). Lighter springs might wait a little while.

Time to start researching 357 loads too. Anybody got a favorite 357 "plinking" load? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
What's not to like ? The GP is one of the best modern revolvers on the market, built like a tank and for a lifetime . I don't reload myself but really enjoy shooting hot rounds through mine, running .38 spl through it is just a tease ... Hope you find just the right punch for ya Congrats !

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Nice! It's great to see these hit the streets after years of looking, pleading, begging and bugging Ruger. If I didn't already have more 3" adjustable sight 357 GP100s than I care to admit I would be all over it.

See how it goes with the sticky extraction. I've had the odd GP and SP that needed a little touch with the finishing reamer and honing the chambers to get good extraction. Ammo brands can vary too.

Congratulations on the 1708!

·
Righteous Dude
21,694 Posts
And there it is: the elusive 1708 rising from the ashes of history like the Ruger phoenix.

Very nice GP and nice shooting!

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
nice shooting!
Well, half of it anyway. :rolleyes: You're too kind.

On another note. The guy in the lane beside me saw my other 3" GP - the blued 1722 - and asked me if the Army knew I made off with one of their M1 tanks. I said they haven't caught up with me yet. :D :p

·
Registered
420 Posts
I purchased a MC with adjustable sights. It has a 4.2" barrel. My MC suffered extraction problems that was mentioned in an earlier post. It took two visits to Ruger's service department to get it resolved, but it was resolved satisfactory. The revopver's second trip to the service department showed the high level of Tiger's commitment to resolving issues.
The service tech called me after receiving my pistol. He had fired several different brands of ammo and was not able to reproduce the problem. He asked me what brand of ammo I was shooting. I told him I was shooting Miltech 158 gr .357 mag ammo.
He told me that was not one of the brand's. He then asked if I would mind waiting for two weeks until he got the Miltech ammo he ordered.
I agreed to wait and 10 days later he called me and said the Miltech ammo failed to eject. He replaced the cylinder and that resolved the problem.
My hat is off to the folks at Tiger's Service department.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
I purchased a MC with adjustable sights. It has a 4.2" barrel. My MC suffered extraction problems that was mentioned in an earlier post. It took two visits to Ruger's service department to get it resolved, but it was resolved satisfactory. The revopver's second trip to the service department showed the high level of Tiger's commitment to resolving issues.
The service tech called me after receiving my pistol. He had fired several different brands of ammo and was not able to reproduce the problem. He asked me what brand of ammo I was shooting. I told him I was shooting Miltech 158 gr .357 mag ammo.
He told me that was not one of the brand's. He then asked if I would mind waiting for two weeks until he got the Miltech ammo he ordered.
I agreed to wait and 10 days later he called me and said the Miltech ammo failed to eject. He replaced the cylinder and that resolved the problem.
My hat is off to the folks at Tiger's Service department.
Tiger makes great guns and stands behind them. Tigers rock!

(I know - stupid spell checker!)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Black front sight

I put a dab of red fingernail polish on my black front sight, cheap and works til you get better front sights. nice shooting

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I put a dab of red fingernail polish on my black front sight, cheap and works til you get better front sights. nice shooting
Yep, did that with the fixed sight 1722. I ordered some Williams FireSights off eBay this evening. :cool:

And welcome to the forum Noly!

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Very nice, the perfect "do all" revolver:)

These are already all over GunBroker, and there's already a place that's buying them new and laser engraving CSA flags on them...........even saw a couple at a gun show this weekend. It seems dealers bought the bulk of them, seemingly dozens at a time.

It's amazing how it took the 1751's over a year to sell out and these 1708's were gone in like what 2 weeks lol

·
Registered
280 Posts
Stupid Question

Tiger makes great guns and stands behind them. Tigers rock!

(I know - stupid spell checker!)
Showing my ignorance. Who or what is Tiger?

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
"Tiger" is what some smart phone spell checkers will auto-correct "Ruger" to, since "Ruger"doesn't exist in the commonly used vocabulary that phones are programmed with.

·
Registered
280 Posts
"Tiger" is what some smart phone spell checkers will auto-correct "Ruger" to, since "Ruger"doesn't exist in the commonly used vocabulary that phones are programmed with.
Thanks for the explanation, guess I should get one of those gizmos.

·
Royal Emissary
1,083 Posts
Thanks for the explanation, guess I should get one of those gizmos.
It's alright OZARK, I didn't know either and I've got one of those gizmos. I gotta get me a 3". So many guns and so little fun money.

:D

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Holy tutti-frutti Batman! I'm diggin' those Chig's panels! Very nice. And Williams Fire Sights are always a great option. Well done sir.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks! Yeah that box elder burl wood is wild! It's not quite as intimidating at some angles:

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts