Ruger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
In my other post, I was concerned about the long term durability of the LCR .38 and pretty much everyone recommended I go 357. After more consideration and visiting the LGS and holding both, I chose the 357. I'm only going to shoot.38 out of it, but I liked the steel over the aluminum and it just felt more substantial. I was surprised to see that all 4 they had in stock were manufactured in 2014 馃I'm guessing their distributor had old stock. I'd be surprised if the shop had them for a year and a half.

Anyway, I have one question though. Is it normal for the polymer frame to sit below the steel and not be flush? I don't remember what the others looked like, but figured I'd ask here. Thanks again!

BTW, this is my first wheel gun

ImageUploadedByOutdoor Forums1455322151.457315.jpg
ImageUploadedByOutdoor Forums1455322169.829383.jpg

Registered
Yes, that's normal. I just looked at mine and it's the same way. Congrats on your new LCR. Speer makes a short barreled load in 357 that work well and are about 100fps faster than 38+p that doesn't buck to bad. I shoot magnums in mine.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
One more thing... Does the barrel look like it points left? I tried to hold it as straight as possible but hard to tell from a pic... Optical illusion 馃

ImageUploadedByOutdoor Forums1455324328.393778.jpg

Registered
Go shoot the thing & quit worrying about how it looks.
What it does on target will tell you more than we can.
Denis

Registered
Hard to tell anything from just looking. As suggested, go shoot it and see how it does. Then if it is materially off you can start looking for problems.

Congrats on getting the LCR. Makes me want to go shoot mine tomorrow, except it is supposed to be around 15 degrees here. Just too darn cold for an outdoor range!

Registered
I bought the LCR 357 for my wife. She picked the LCR 38 on her own but I special ordered the 357 for her for the extra weight to help with felt recoil. I put the XS night sight on it and it's very nice. She is going to carry Hornady 38 CD Lites in it once she becomes proficient. She has shot it once and really liked it. Her second practice session will be tomorrow.

All that said, I think you chose wisely. It is a very versatile revolver. Be safe and enjoy it!

Viceroy 馃煩馃煩馃煩
I had two Smith & Wessons in a row with canted barrels, and I mean like 15 degrees tipped to one side. One of them came back to me from their customer service "over fixed" and canted about 10 degrees in the opposite direction. :mad:

If your revolver looks like the person building it was even remotely sober, then Ruger is way ahead of the competition.

Registered
To the OP good luck with you .357 LCR good choice gives you the advantage of both caliber. One word of getting use to your gun there are many very good defensive loads out there. Given just my thoughts if I had your gun I would choose to get a good .38 Special +p load. There are some great choices out there & the .38 Special + P will not beat your hand to death!!! My Ruger LCRX I am very happy with it and I like the fact that I can shoot it both SA & DA. Maybe Ruger will come out with more calibers in the LCRX version some day! Good Luck

Premium Member
In my other post, I was concerned about the long term durability of the LCR .38 and pretty much everyone recommended I go 357. After more consideration and visiting the LGS and holding both, I chose the 357. I'm only going to shoot.38 out of it, but I liked the steel over the aluminum and it just felt more substantial. I was surprised to see that all 4 they had in stock were manufactured in 2014 馃I'm guessing their distributor had old stock. I'd be surprised if the shop had them for a year and a half.
Great choice...I've been considering an LCR in .357 for my next purchase. I used a similar analogy when I purchased my SP101 in .357 cal...my intention is to shoot +P only loads but have the frame strength of a .357. My other determining factor was that I own a Security Six in .357 so mixing ammo wouldn't be a concern.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts