Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

Viceroy 馃煩馃煩馃煩
Discussion Starter #1
Today's the first day that feels like summer and I've been working in the garage, lawn and garden all day. So it's time to shift from whiskey season to gin season. Let's see how this new photo upload capability works...

My wife likes her Gin & Tonic with a twist of lemon. I like mine with a dollop of Campari.

The Campari bitters are sort of metallic and a little goes a long way, so you can tell by the state of the almost-empty bottle that I make a fair number of these. Ernest Hemingway once said Campari, "tastes like licking a brass doorknob," which is a good description, but it pairs well with the sharpness of the quinine in the premium tonic water and the juniper of the London dry gin.

Registered
We used to go to Puerta Vallara a lot and it being a malarial zone, we always drank gin and tonic. . AND we never got malaria. Also the Canadians got us hooked on Ceasars, which didn't prevent you from getting malaria but prevented us from getting dehydrated, so there's that.

Dr. Frankenruger
Cheers! 馃嵏

Booze is an integral part of many people's COVID-19 prevention strategy. Or so it would seem.....

Registered
Cheers! 馃嵏

Booze is an integral part of many people's COVID-19 prevention strategy. Or so it would seem.....
I saw on the news today, outside of alcohol purchases being up in general, AB reported Bud-Lights sales are up 48% since February......I re-loaded on Bourbon this afternoon. It鈥檚 become a staple.......What can I say.

Viceroy 馃煩馃煩馃煩
Discussion Starter #9
Isn't gin what was served on the African Queen?
The movie? I don鈥檛 know but probably.

When I was in the diplomatic corps and on assignment in former British colonies in Africa, we went through a LOT of gin, both personally and hosting official receptions.

Registered
I鈥檓 a big fan of Negroni鈥檚, and being Italian, grew up with Campari. All good stuff. Sounds like it鈥檚 time to transition off scotch for summer.

Viceroy 馃煩馃煩馃煩
Discussion Starter #11
I鈥檓 a big fan of Negroni鈥檚, and being Italian, grew up with Campari. All good stuff. Sounds like it鈥檚 time to transition off scotch for summer.
Negronis are great, but I鈥檝e got a bottle of Bulleit rye here and am itching to make a 鈥1794鈥 soon which is pretty much a Negroni but with rye instead of gin. 馃嵏

Registered
Gin and tonics are one of my favorite summertime drinks, for sure. I cannot do Negroni's or Campari. My son-in-law is a huge fan, but I'm not. Another good mix that I do is to take a Tervis cup, add in a bunch of ice, gin, then some "Just Lime" drink. Top off with a couple of ounces of tonic just for the "fizz". The Tervis will hold the ice a long time, so it makes a great drink for relaxing outdoors.
I, too, have a bottle of Bulleit rye that I won at a charity auction as part of a larger booze package. I'm not a fan of Manhattan's Old Fashioned's or Negroni's. I'll need to figure out a potential recipe. When in doubt, pour over a glass of cubes with a splash of water.

Registered
Cheers! 馃嵏

That is my strategy. At the start of this mess we are in , and the talk of shutting down most businesses, I went and purchased a case of Evan Williams. Can't have too much, in my opinion.

Registered
Think I'll stick to my whiskey. Been an old family choice going back generations. My Grandma missed hitting 100 by a few days and Grandpa passed 103.

Exchequer
Today's the first day that feels like summer and I've been working in the garage, lawn and garden all day. So it's time to shift from whiskey season to gin season. Let's see how this new photo upload capability works...

My wife likes her Gin & Tonic with a twist of lemon. I like mine with a dollop of Campari.

The Campari bitters are sort of metallic and a little goes a long way, so you can tell by the state of the almost-empty bottle that I make a fair number of these. Ernest Hemingway once said Campari, "tastes like licking a brass doorknob," which is a good description, but it pairs well with the sharpness of the quinine in the premium tonic water and the juniper of the London dry gin.

View attachment 142800
Why wait for a hot day.:)

Ditto!

Registered
Try mixing it with a bit of Rosie's Sweetened lime juice. It is amazing for a mixed drink.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Registered
Tequila for me, it's good year round, shot in your coffee for a relaxing morning, splash of lemonade with a shot when it's hot, neat in the winter to warm you up, oh yeah...............
My dad was a gin man, made me gag when I tried it, never developed a taste for it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts