Ruger Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
My preference is single malt scotch neat. In hot weather I put it in the refrigerator for a while. Bourbon or rye on the rocks also makes for a nice dram (Angel's Envy bourbon or rye are both excellent). Trying to avoid beer to drop a few pounds.

·
Registered
36 Posts
If it needs to be mixed with something, maybe it isn't that good. Kentucky Bourbon and a few cubes. Plain and simple.
Tequila doesn't have to be mixed, that's just another way to enjoy it, sometimes I'll have it neat to just give me that clean taste that I like. You like bourbon, I like Tequila.

·
Viceroy 🟩🟩🟩
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
If it needs to be mixed with something, maybe it isn't that good. Kentucky Bourbon and a few cubes. Plain and simple.
Tequila doesn't have to be mixed, that's just another way to enjoy it, sometimes I'll have it neat to just give me that clean taste that I like. You like bourbon, I like Tequila.
Tunnug nailed it. Good tequila, just like good whiskey, can be amazing neat. However, it's a fallacy to think you should use bottom-shelf spirits in cocktails. That's the same as cooking with a Julia Child or Jamie Oliver recipe and substituting cheap ingredients in to save money.

A cocktail (like a food dish) can absolutely be a symphony of different ingredients working together to make something much greater and more complex than the sum of the individual parts, but it will only be as good as the worst ingredient. Never cut corners with food or drink!

·
Registered
223 Posts
I agree, life is too short to drink cheap liquor, cheap beer, and/or not get that special gun you want! Blanton 1.JPG Blanton 2.JPG Blanton 3.JPG Blanton.JPG

I am an avid motorcycle rider and live within a short ride of a dozen of the best Bourbon distilleries in the world. These three stops are all within a 1 hour loop of home.

·
Viceroy 🟩🟩🟩
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I agree, life is too short to drink cheap liquor, cheap beer, and/or not get that special gun you want!

I am an avid motorcycle rider and live within a short ride of a dozen of the best Bourbon distilleries in the world. These three stops are all within a 1 hour loop of home.
Good taste in bikes and booze!

Now I will admit, you do reach a point where a bottle of spirits is so exceptional that it’s “too good to mix with” and Blanton’s definitely falls in that category. In my opinion it would be blasphemous to even put ice in Blanton’s!

·
Registered
93 Posts
I love this thread and I think I said before....it takes me back to my days in west Texas, Big Bend country, sitting in a un ac’d bar mid afternoon, with an 8 oz beer glass, one old style ice cube and a bottle of Jack.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I drink my whiskey, and some mezcal as noted by others, neat. Most of the whiskey in my collection is not allowed for mixing. I tolerate the use of ice by others because at least they are drinking whiskey! When my step father-in-law visits I make sure I've got some Jim or Jack for him to mix in his Coke when he uses up his Crown.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts