Ruger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought one of these because Ruger doesn't make one. Wish they did !

Also got one of these and really was surprised at how well it shot !

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Is that a PF-9? I had one, and detailed the troubles I had with it here on this forum. I hope yours works out better for you. I was impressed with the gun at first, but before I had shot 300 rounds through it (on seveal different range sessions) the trigger on mine broke! Or rather, it failed to return. On disassembly I discovered that the spring is supposed to ride in a small slot in the connector bar between the trigger and hammer. So, I put it back and it shot 13 more times until it did it again. So, off to Kel-Techit went. With a letter that I half-heartedly mentioned I wish I could get my money back on the gun. Lo and behold Kel-Tech refunded my money for the full purchase price, plus the shipping to send it back to them. So, although I was disappointed in the gun, I was impressed with their sticking behind their product!

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes it is. According to Kel-Tec it is a new line for them ? You sure it wasn't the P-11 ? Just wondering as the gun store guy I got it from said it had only been out for about 6 months ? I've shot about fifty rounds through the little guy and haven't any issue's yet. I had a P-11 for quite a while when I was younger and shot the piss out of it with no problems. I guess time and ammo will only tell ? I really hope it lasts as I really like it for its size.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Yes sir, it was the PF-9. This apparently was not too uncommon in the early production of these guns, as I have read about it on the Kel-Tec forums. They have been making them for awhile now. From what I hear they seem to have most of the bugs worked out of them now. Mine was apparently one of the early ones.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
I also had some problems with my PF-9. Mine weren't anything major though...feeding problems. I should have hung onto it and polished the feed ramp. Like you...mine was really a good shooter when it fed the ammo.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I see, so the gun store guy is full of it. The KelTec sight said it was a new design and with the gun store guys info I figured it was relatively new. Sorry ! I am glad to here they worked out the bugs though.

quote:Originally posted by gunman42782

Yes sir, it was the PF-9. This apparently was not too uncommon in the early production of these guns, as I have read about it on the Kel-Tec forums. They have been making them for awhile now. From what I hear they seem to have most of the bugs worked out of them now. Mine was apparently one of the early ones.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It shoots quite well, after I cleaned the mag and used the vice to pinch the mag lips back to where they were originally. Mine likes the CCI Maxi -mag and the Winchester Super-x. The cool factor comes that it is the only semi-auto pistol in 22 Mag. Also, it maybe easier for you to get one now as the folks at High Standard are bringin back the entire AMT line of pistols. Including the AutoMag II. Yes it shoots awesome and it gives off quite a report and muzzle flash !

quote:Originally posted by Tweek

Nice Automag II. I've had one of those on my long list for a while. How's it shoot?

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
quote:Originally posted by HB-DLX

I see, so the gun store guy is full of it. The KelTec sight said it was a new design and with the gun store guys info I figured it was relatively new. Sorry ! I am glad to here they worked out the bugs though.
No, I didn't say the gun store guy was full of it! It is a new design, I am not sure how long they have had them out, but I am thinking more like a year or so instead of 6 months.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
If you go to some kel-tec boards, you get the general feeling that with all models introduced be it handgun or rifle, they all are a "work in progress".

Seems that the buying public is the test bed and as problems happen, they are corrected in the next tool change. For example, have read that such in such problem was fixed after serial#xxxx and an improved design/part introduced after serial#yyyy.

Kel-tec does have good customer service and most folks are fiercely loyal to them.

If you want to read up on them try www.ktog.org
and go to the bulletin board section as their talk board. The p-11 i believe has all the bugs worked out as well as the 32.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No, trust me he's full of it ! My fiance remembered what he said and he said its only been out for about a month. So, ya he's full of it, I only keep going back there because he gives me such a good deal on guns I kind of ignore his BS ! Like I bought a Ruger P94 for $175 that hasn't been shot at all because some guy traded it because it was rough on his hands ? Ya, I don't know either, but I get deals like that from him all the time. I got the same deal on a chromed out Taurus, hardly shot w/ wood grips and 2 mags for $220, a hell of a deal after I found out what they go for normally !

quote:Originally posted by gunman42782

quote:Originally posted by HB-DLX

No, I didn't say the gun store guy was full of it! It is a new design, I am not sure how long they have had them out, but I am thinking more like a year or so instead of 6 months.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Deputy, thanks for the info ! I had a P-11 for quite a few years and loved the little thing, I shouldn't of sold it. I think I may be buying a few more from KelTec, their customer service and product loyalty is one of the best I've ever seen. I am a Glock man, but am running out of Glocks to buy, as I have every model they make and several duplicates of each. Well except for the G18, G25 and G28 because the first is a full auto version and not legal in WA state at this time and the G25 and G28 are not importable to the US for some reason that Glock won't talk about. I really have no problem with a new pistol having some issue's as long as the manufacturer stands behind their product. Have you guys shot any of their AR type pistols ? I was looking at them and wanted some feed back before buying or deciding to buy one. Thanks for all the help gentlemen and sorry if I seemed a little defensive, I have been to a couple forums(not this one or FN) that like to bag on and degrade new recruits, they even told my buddy he was a lier because he has so many expensive guns and he is only 31 ? I didn't really understand that, but I am glad to see you guys are just like me and willing ti share any info they have ! Agin, thank you !

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
I also use to have a p-11 and found no fault with it. My world just happens to go "round" as far as a back-up if you know what i mean----just plain like revolvers for that duty.
Never have got bitten by the glock bug. For some reason they just don't work for me-can't really explain it.
I did get to shoot an ar pistol one time. Not sure on the brand (carbon-15?)but it was a plastic frame/receiver that i believe bushmaster bought out and incorporated into its stable. It was a blast so to speak and a lot of fun but not real reliable as i remember it had some feed issues. i could not figure how i would use it or really justify as to why i would need one. Awful wicked and light weight but still a two-handed large weapon labeled as a handgun.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I know what you mean about the large caliber rifle's made into a handgun. I think my father said it best, " it might make sense if you could own it in full auto, that way it would make a good sweeper weapon for clearing urban structures. Other wise its pretty useless as a semi auto". I have a couple of AK pistols, they aren't fun on the arms after a few clips.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Yeah your dealer is full of it all right. I bought mine on 12/27/2006. They were announced at least a year before that, but they were hard to come by around where I live. I should have have kept it and done a fluff and buff. I just bought a P11 yesterday. I'm hoping that all the bugs are worked out of them. I think they have been around for 10 years or so. I think Deputy said that it looks like Kel-Tec lets the shooting public test their guns for them. I think there may be some truth in that, but heck for $200-250, I can deal with it. It may take some time to get them reliable enough to carry, but eventually you get there. My 3AT is very reliable (anemic, but reliable).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts