Ruger Forum banner

261 - 272 of 272 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Well we do have bears and the brush is usually so thick you have to stick to game trails or quad/jeep trails unless it is a tree farm. But you are far more likely to encounter a p'o'd wild boar than a bear here in Florida. I think that the 35rem is the best brush gun caliber ever, if you cant even see the body, only the head and rack, the brush is not going to divert a 200gr round from the deer at all. Mine was made in 1955 and shoulders and shoots like it was made for me even though I hadn't even been born yet, hence why I would choose it over anything else I own.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I'd have to go with my Glock 35. It's about the same weight as my SP101 unloaded, and holds 15 rds of .40 cal ammo.

·
Registered
145 Posts
If I'm home when this hypothetical apocalypse happens it's an AR15 all day, if not I hope my little Glock 43 and F150 gets me to the house

·
Registered
92 Posts
Though about this long ago. Decided on a TA90 in 9mm. Monthly range time, but resides in a case with 2 10 round clips and 5 14 round clips. Several vacuum bags of 14 rounds. Two mags are rotated, emptied at the monthly range session and two rested mags are reloaded. May I wear that gun and mags out waiting for a need to grab the Dewalt case and go.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Heavily wooded dense brush and very small deer, lol, some, but few bears. I live in Florida, 35 rem is THE best brush gun caliber IMO and I love my Marlin 336, 1955, JM, no safety, fat fore end, no pussy pad, I just can't see ever letting it go, so one gun, it is the one?

·
Registered
744 Posts
It’s good to have a gun like that. If we are talking about the gun you’d take to the grave, it would be my dad’s early 50’s 3006 Winchester Model 70 Featherweight. He bought a Zeiss scope for it while he was over in Germany back in the late 60s or early 70s and that gun has been all over the place. It shoots about 1.5” at 100 yards, but the weird thing about that gun is, it doesn’t matter what ammo or bullet weight, it just shoots it into the same place, you may have to raise the elevation or drop it a bit, but it just shoots everything the same. It did do under an inch with one load, the Federal 3006 High Energy Bear Claw, but I think there is only one partial box of those left. It isn’t the best or most expensive gun and probably not what I would want for TEOTWAWKI but that’s the one you’d have to pry out of my dead hands.

·
Registered
167 Posts
My choices would be between .357, .380, and 22LR ... of the 3 and having enough ammo to get "there" I would have to choose my 22LR pistol. The 22 would fill the nitch to provide food and protection for the trip. A decent quantity of ammo for it would be much lighter too. A silencer would help keep the noise to a minimum during its use.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
...anarchy has just occurred and there is no government body to restore order any time soon at all.
This means I bring any number and type of weapons I want. No one’s there to make me choose just one handgun. :)

261 - 272 of 272 Posts