Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like the title say's I try not to be a brand snob and I really am not. I have mostly Ruger, Marlin and S&W with 1 SIG.
I try to take the other guns out but I consistently grab my 6" GP100 over all the rest including my S&W PC Competitor.
That GP100 just flat out shoots and I am very accurate with it and my reloads. Love this gun and the people that ever knock Ruger quality, I have never had a problem with Ruger.
Love my Ruger's by far. If I ever did have to stick with one company and give the rest up it would definitely be Ruger that I stick with.
I guess I really just want to thank Ruger for just being who they are and what they are. Nothing more than just a statement.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Way back when my very first handgun was a Ruger. Strayed down the Smith & Wesson path and still have quite a few. Have multiple Rugers also. Certain things I really like about both brands but deep down inside I think I'm a Ruger man.:D

·
Registered
48 Posts
I sold all of my other handguns except for two GP100s and a HK45T.
I wouldn't be real broken up if I had to sell the HK.......

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
I've become predominately a Ruger and S&W guy. I think both brands are good and have stellar attributes and some drawbacks. There are others I admire but have little to no experience with. Others I guess I am a snob. I try to have an open mind but....."life's too short to own an ugly gun" resonates strong with me.

·
Premium Member
4,319 Posts
Ruger revolvers. Sig semiautos. I own other brands of handguns but these two dominate my safe. All the other brands could disappear and I wouldn't miss them much.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I bought my first Smith and Wesson revolver this year, but I have 7 ruger revolvers. I am hands down a ruger guy (also own a couple of ruger rifles). Ruger is my favorite gun maker. I know they stand by there products. I own a few of remingtons and marlins, I hear horror stories about dealing with their "customer service."

·
Banned
650 Posts
I like Rugers and I own a bunch of them. Ruger has it's niche, they make great rimfire rifles and revolvers. To an extent Ruger makes good centerfire rifles. They are not my cup of tea but they work. If you buy Ruger rifle it will be accurate enough to bag game and be well made. A Ruger centerfire rifle will last a lifetime with the proper feed and care.

But for a pistol used for competition or self defense I want a Glock. Accessories are inexpensive and guaranteed to work. If I buy a night sight I can go to the Glock store and get a night sight for $25 that is guaranteed to fit my gun and glow in the dark. I can choose several different striker springs and trigger mechanisms that will give me the trigger pull and reset that I desire. I can buy these trigger and striker parts from Glock. I don't have to buy an aftermarket part and pray that it works when the chips are down.

For an SD shotgun I want a Mossberg.....

You can see I pick my tools to make me happy. I am not loyal to any brand. I just want the best tool for the job.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
I am a huge Ruger fan and probably a Ruger snob as well.

I have a Sig P229 as my self defense pistol. It is 1000% reliable and shoots as straight as i need it to.

My SD (ans squirrel hunting) shotgun is a Mossberg.

My rifles are Marlin lever actions.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
17,058 Posts
When I owned my gunsmith shop, I started collecting guns .... not just any guns ... only the ones that I found were well designed and "best of class" models. To me, "well designed" means .... accurate, strong, and reliable with appealing looks and a decent price. I have a nice collection of rifles, handguns, and shotguns in several different brands that meet this criteria so I don't think anyone could call me a "brand snob". That said, in my safes you will find a lot of Ruger Single Action revolvers, a couple Ruger DA revolvers, four Ruger 10/22s, three Ruger Mark Series 22 LR pistols, a Ruger 1911, and even a AR556. I truthfully think these are the best designs in their respective classes. I don't care for Ruger P-series pistols or any of the newer striker fired pistols. Ruger bolt action rifles are decent but I favor Remington 700s, Winchester Mod 70s, and CZs. I'm also a lever action rifle fan .... mostly Winchesters, with a few Marlins thrown in .... no Rugers. My shotguns are Brownings or Remingtons .... again no Rugers. For the most part, I have based my decisions on guns that came into the shop for repairs ... or in many cases, guns that never came in for repairs.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
This is not a gun analogy but related.
I work in the Industrial wold of factory Automation where there is a small group of very large competitors, the one we carry is not the most popular in my geographical area.
One of my usual statements to prospects goes like this:
"If you purchase form only one manufacturer you can get the very best they have to offer but unless you look at others too you may not be able to get the very best for your particular application." :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Ruger revolvers all the way, sold or traded most of my S&W's except those with an emotional attachment, like Smiths that were gifts, or have "cool factor" (like my NY-1 64-5 carried by an NYPD Officer)..........other than that I don't miss any of them.

I like P-series autos, but I'm no huge auto loader fan anyway, so they are more "tools" for me.

My all-time favorite gun has become the GP100, over the past several years. I have a pile of them, and if it can't be done with a GP100 then it's time to get a rifle......

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
Being a "brand snob" doesn't necessarily mean the same thing as being "brand loyal."

I tend to "behave" like Iowegan - only the "best of the best" really gets to keep a room at my inn.

The only bad part about being a brand snob is that it tends to limit you from experiencing new things of which you might be missing out. As an example, I was a 1911 guy, and really didn't like Glocks until about 2004 when I won an Army contract for experimental training ammunition - I already owned an M9/92FS, but of course, the other 9mm that needed to be evaluated for Law Enforcement was the Glock. My company bought a Glock and "rented" my M92, and since they didn't want to have a handgun in equipment inventory, on paper, the Glock was a "bonus" for me, and they rented it from me too. Absolutely changed my mind about Glocks. If I wouldn't have gotten that contract, I probably never would have came around to discovering the real value of Glock pistols, and I'd still be setting a low capacity 1911 on my nightstand at night instead of my Glock.

Similarly, I was a Remington 870 and 1187 fan to the core, but I was out of town for a buddy's bachelor party and needed a shotgun to shoot trap. The shop there had ridiculous prices, the only reasonable price they had was a Benelli Supernova - so I bought it, intent on selling it back used to them at the end of the day and taking the hit as a "rental fee." After a couple rounds, I knew I couldn't let go of that shotgun, and now I have 4 other Supernovas and a couple of their Semiautos. I know I NEVER would have bought a Benelli under any other circumstances.

And if I'm honest, I was an S&W DA fan long before I ever handled a Ruger DA. If I wasn't such a fan of Ruger SA's, I never would have bought an SP101, and I would have missed out on something great.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You know guy's, I really did not figure to get much of a response on this post. It has been a joy reading all the responses. It's a fun and truthful read.
Thanks for all the responses

·
Registered
600 Posts
Brand snob? No brand loyalist yep, some brands deserve their reputation some don't.

I'm not a collector just a user so if something works for me I believe in it.

For the most part I've avoided "cheap" guns or those that have a reputation so I've never had to send anything back or have it repaired. 40 + years and Browning, Winchester, Remington held up just fine, For me Ruger is the "cheapest" brand I'll buy and they've held up as well.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Stock Holder

Ruger impressed me so much when I started buying them in the '80s I bought Ruger Stock. My first firearm purchased with my money was a Security six. I still have it along with several other Ruger branded firearms. I've never sold a Ruger or a share of their stock.

None of the comments here sound snobish to me. I agree with Lowegan about utility and quality being more important than brand. Personally I wish Ruger made a higher quality bolt action rifle as I have gone to Weatherby and Nosler for the accuracy I desire. However I understand that Ruger is mostly mid market with the exception of their Red Labels and Number 1's.

The new Precision Rifle has me interested, but I am a hunter first and target shooter second so this rifle doesn't fit my utility needs.

As a (very small) owner of Ruger I thank you for your loyalty.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I personally like every brand that Ruger makes. :)

I'm a big fan of my 6"GP too. I don't push the limits with my reloads, but I do load them warm, and I never worry about my gun not handling them.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts