Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im just curious but how big is the deer population ? Like in oklahoma where im from over 50 thousand deer have been killed and the season is not even done yet. I have killed 2 bucks this year my self and yet I still see more deer runnin around. So I guess my question is 50 thousand deer killed alot of deer killed or do deer re produce so fast that 50 thousand is just a drop in the bucket?:confused::confused:

·
Registered
630 Posts
Where i am, our deer population goes up every year even though it seems like a lot are killed every year. I cannot give you numbers, but i took 3 with my bow and 2 with my 357 this year.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I know here in Ohio we actually have an over population problem.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I know here in Ohio we actually have an over population problem.
A lot of people around here consider them a nusaince. Especially while driving. I know i had to stop twice, in a 12 mile trip,on my way home tonight because of deer on the road.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The only animal population on the planet that needs to be hunted, culled or otherwise kept in check is the human one.
and yet some one is nice enough to let you walk around on this planet un checked HUH? ironic isn't it
:D:D

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
I often drive from here in NH to relatives in PA or close to Buffalo.

Once I'm into PA or NY we generally see over a dozen dead on the road or sometimes more. I avoid driving that route at night because of the risk of me hitting *another* deer.

Where I used to hunt in western NY they've changed from shotgun to rifle to improve the harvest.

·
Registered
68 Posts
The story goes that Virginia has more deer now than during colonial times. I'm not sure how they know, but we have a lot out this way.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
The bag limit here in my part of Tennessee is three does a day. We are covered up with deer.

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
I don't hunt and have no idea of the number of deer in Washington state but I can say they seem to be everywhere. With all the fruit trees and other crops they have plenty to eat. My guess would be there are more deer now than 100 years ago.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Far too many deer where I live. All of their predators are gone except man and he has controls in place to limit his kills.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
When I hear stories about how many buffalo there used to be and the way they were killed it makes me apreciate the way the State monitors the herd and it's health

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
I assume most States monitor the size of their deer population and adjust hunting quotas based on their census info. Indiana bases it's limits by County, with most of the Southern half of the State having an 8 deer limit. They do have what I consider a rather short season for gun-hunts, IMHO, 3 weeks in November and ten days after Christmas ( for the holiday hunters).

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
Up here in the northern plains, the deer population ( both Mulies and Whitetails) will explode if we get a few "nice" winters. But eventually (like 3 of the last 4 winters), mother nature will manage the over population.

·
Super Moderator
21,496 Posts
NH has always (In my 65 years) allowed hunting both buck and doe so that combined with a nasty winter now and then has kept the deer population in check. You won't see dead deer on the side of the road up here like you will in many other states.

·
Registered
6,722 Posts
Here in northeastern N.C., and specifically in the small town where I work, we are overrun with Bambi and company. It is common to see HERDS of whitetail in the city limits; at times, we've had to deal with deer in the middle of the downtown area in broad daylight. Frankly, I'd love to see them allow bow hunting within the city limits, and to likewise raise the limits of deer taken per hunter while they're at it. Bows would be the safest way to do it in town, I should think. All I know is, SOMETHING'S gotta give....all these deer/car collisions are getting out of hand.

·
Registered
4,727 Posts
I don't know how our deer population compares to other states, but deer are everywhere. Large numbers are laying dead by the side of the road throughout the year. Here a snippet of the MN hunt from the state DNR website:

Minnesota hunters harvested 151,400 deer so far during the 2012 early firearm season, according to preliminary numbers announced today by the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (DNR). The late 3B season in southeastern Minnesota remains open through Sunday, Nov. 25.

Overall, antlered buck harvest increased 9 percent and antlerless deer harvest decreased 21 percent compared to 2011. In total, firearm harvest was off 7 percent, which was expected given the conservative allocation of antlerless deer permits.

The deer harvest number is calculated using data provided by hunters when they register a deer. A final report, which includes more detailed harvest information, will be available on the DNR website at the end of January.

Archery and muzzleloader season are still open, I believe.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
We can't have a garden without double fencing anything we plant in our neighborhood. Our nearby small town has to have a special bow season in the city limits because deer eat everything and cause too many accidents. We have as many deer as squirrels.

Deer have become the number one nuisance animal in suburban and urban America. I lived in the Chicago area where deer have overrun the Forest Preserves to the point where the density is fully ten times the carrying capacity of the forest. They've done major damage to the forest. It's ironic that deer hunters from urban areas that travel to the wilderness to hunt deer pass more deer on the way out of town than they will ever see in the wilderness.

·
Registered
5,280 Posts
When I hear stories about how many buffalo there used to be and the way they were killed it makes me apreciate the way the State monitors the herd and it's health
The huge bison herd that was killed off in the plains states was a relatively short-lived anomaly. It only existed because Indian populations had been decimated by diseases following their first contacts with Europeans. The Indians had previously managed buffalo populations, but when they could no longer do that, the buffalo population exploded. Had it not been dealt with, the plains states would look like the Sahara desert.

Deer are a completely different story. We have eliminated their natural predators and at the same time have turned their world into an endless all you can eat buffet. The countryside is covered with delicious crops, while city folk plant vegetable gardens and all sorts of yummy shrubs. Deer feeders abound every where.

Deer have never had it so good.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts