Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sheepdog and I have been talking this over for a while now and I sorta figured I should say something here. Now before anyone get's their back side all wrinkled up on me this is not a put down on the younger folks.
But sheepdog and I have over the years noticed that the young guys want to put more into the computer type stuff than buy a good quality gun and a good quality holster. That is when they decide to buy one holster that is. We are speaking mainly off duty type weapon here.
I have argured until I was blue in the face, a pocket is for keys change and money not for a gun. A gun in your hip pocket that your sitting on isn't going to do you any good. And facing that bad guy accross the street well that is pure hollowood folks doesn't happen that way in real life.
If the stuff is going to hit the fan its going to be when you least expect it just count on it being that way and your a head of the game.
They do make holster for a pocket where you can keep the gun concealed but can also get it out when you need too. Now practice, yep that's right practice your draw. Not when the kids are home and not when the wife can laugh at you. You practice shooting then you need to practice your draw also. Just make sure the gun is unloaded.
Ok laugh if ya want to but right now the football players are in training and they are doing alot of practicing playing football. They are the paid players and they should know how to play football, but they still train and they still practice.
Remember this the gun belongs in the holster, 20 years ago or so the FBI in Florida learned the hard way. They was after some bank robbers and they were shooters of the worse kind. One of the agents knew it was going to be a shoot out before hand. Get this he takes his gun out of the holster and lays it in the seat beside hime. So he could have faster access to the gun. Smart move, when he ramed the car they were after the car door flew open and the gun was ejected out of the car. Now all he had was his back up weapon, the gun belongs in the holster until its needed for use simple as that.
They did get the bad guys but not before they shot the town up and two of the agents killed and the rest shot to hell. Thing might have been different if the agents had worn their body armor like it was intended to be worn. And the one that lost his duty gun had; had his duty gun would have been in a better position to take out the bad guys.
Bottom line the men that have the gray hair, have most likey ben ther done that and lived to tell about it. sheepdog and I learned a long time ago listen when your young and talk when your older.
With all the modern fancy stuff they have now it still boil's down to this police work it a person that stand between the bad guys and the public. He or she has 3 very important things to use, first their brain meaning experance on the street. Second their baton, knowing how and when to use it. Third their weapon, knowing how and when to use it. The pen paper and computer and radio are all good but they are most of the time used after the fight is over.
Corrections is the folks that keep them away from the public, there ya know what ya have. And there you have to use all your sinces and wits about you. All you have there with you is pepper spray, and we didn't have that until a few years ago.
I have spent many years as a high rider for the Texas prison system. The Major of the farm told me many years ago. Its up to you to make sure no one gets away. So keep your wits about you, watch your field squads and most of all watch your field boss's their lives are in your hands.
22 years and 1 month no one ever escaped, I am sorta proud of that.
Remember folks a good quality gun ina good quality holster and practice your draw, practice youre shooting.
sheepdog if I lefted anything out jump in and give me a hand pal.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Make that an additional 'No Brainer' from me too.

I suppose one has to go 'round the block a couple of times before experience rears its pointy head.;)

·
Registered
576 Posts
No brainer from me too...Good post Snuffy...I'll be 60 in July, and I appreciate learning from all of you guys. Thanks for being there and sharing with all of us.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
snuffy---
a few weeks back i had taken a cpl of prisoners to the intake unit and saw a "high rider" (or as one prisoner said "tall boss") disarm at the tower before going in. Still packing smith mdl 64's and when he pulled out the long gun off the horse, it sure looked like a stainless ruger bolt action w/iron sights. That rifle actually suprised me in that it was a bolt. .223 i guess? Saw others with shotguns.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
deputy125, we used Winchester 30-30's until 2001 then we went to 77 all weather in 223. Iron sights, reason are many but they are liter for one thing and can reach out futhure than the 30-30. Also safer unloading as well. Which better depends on who your talking to at the time. We still carry the S&W 65's And they are going to auto's starting with the dog sgt's field rank then down to the fiels boss's then the regular units will get them.
Yep that is what the cons call the high rider tall boss, he plays no games and he carried death on his saddle. If you run you take that chance. Haven't seen anyone that can run 3200 fps. So few if any try.
The shotguns are use to cover the field as they are turning in the squads. No one wants to mess with the shotgun, easy to understand.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
My mistake, they are mdl 65's.
What is the auto/caliber that they are switching to?

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
357 sig the makers are sig glock and another one I am not sure of right now. Have to wait and see which it will be.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
pafrank do you think that will be a step in the right direction? Here in Texas its rare that anyone has to use a firearm. Oh now we have had the toilet shot a number of times the roof. Women taking out the buck shot with their nitting needles to see what was on the inside.
We had an older man dang near shot a womens head off while he was suppose tobe checking the shotgun. They fired him he got a meaditor and got his job back. He can't work around guns at all. So I am safe now if I end up with a domestic arrest and I can't be around guns I can still work for the unit. They let him have his job back so they will have to let me work as well. Not that I would get a domestic arrest. Just nice to know that I have a loop hole now to use.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
'Tall boss' is cool. Reminds me of Cool Hand Luke. I know everyone has seen the movie, but if you get a chance to read the book - and trust me I am not typically a 'the book is so much better than the movie' people - it is an awesome book. Highly recommend it.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'll have to read the book.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Snuffy I'd send it to you but I think I loaned it to someone and can't remember who. If I think of it I'll scold 'em, get it back and let you know.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Eddie, no need to do that maybe they wanted to read it several times.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Who knows. They probably sold it in a yard sale for fifty cents. It is well worth reading though, libraries might even have it.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think they do I'll check this next week. Thanks Eddie

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.