Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My little brother is 8 and I want to get him a BB gun for Christmas. He already has one, but you can only pump the fore end once. I want to get him either a Red Ryder because that's what I had when I was his age and I think it is a great BB gun or one that you can pump multiple times. So the question is, which one?

·
Ausmerican.
42,713 Posts
Love to help you Hans, but I know naught about BB guns.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
red ryder! classic!
I love mine and used it until it broke. When it did, I shined it up and it sits on my gun stand with my other firearms. I get it out to pretend shoot it ever once in a while.

·
Registered
556 Posts
For an 8 year old I would get a Red Ryder over a pump. A pump takes a fair amount of strength and it is a much slower process.

·
Larry the Conservative
5,458 Posts
I'd lean towards a Red Ryder. Tradition, every shooter must have had one.

·
Registered
453 Posts
He'll shoot his eye out!:eek::p

·
Ausmerican.
42,713 Posts
You are never too old for a Red Ryder. I have one and still shoot it. Have you also concidered a pellet gun? Beerman makes some nice pistols.
Do you think he would make one for his (soon to be) adopted ? :D :D :D

·
Registered
17,830 Posts
When I was a kid I went from the Red Rider to the Crossman 760 pump and it was definitely a step up. This was back when the Crossmans still used wood stocks. A few years ago I got a 1,000 feet/second pellet gun and it's fun to plink with, but I don't think an 8 year old would be able to break the barrel down to cock it.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I say go with the Red Ryder. I still use mine all the time to shoot squirrels

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Another vote for a Red Ryder.
a- it's a timeless piece
b- at 8 years old, a Crossman or Daisy pump might be a little difficult to prime
c- when he's a little older you can always get him one of the higher powered bb/pellet guns.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I still have my Red Ryder. Still shoot it indoors for some practice from time to time as well. Got that thing when I was like 9 years old.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
but I don't think an 8 year old would be able to break the barrel down to cock it.
You'd be surprised! He likes to take our Gamo Varmit Hunter break barrel air rifle out bird hunting. Granted, he has to set the butt of the gun on the ground and push downward, but he gets the job done!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.