Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered the GP100 4.2 inch Satin Stainless (I think I inserted it and attached pic / model info), and I have a few questions about sights because I'm hoping to keep the rear adjustable sight, and just replace the ramp front sight. But if you have a rear sight that you love, I'd like to hear about is. So here are my questions:

What is your favorite sight set up?

What have you tried and didn't like?

Are all GP100 models front sights removable by pushing the spring above the muzzle? That would be too good to be true! I saw a guy changing a S&W front sight with a drill! Haha.

I would like to find some good Tritium sights, or at least a good Tritium front sight for low light, if you have any experience with that.

Thank so much gang!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
I have 2 GP's. The first had a Millett orange front ramp sight on it (out of production) that I liked as it was brighter to my eye compared to the Ruger red insert. Since then I had the barrel cut to 2.75" and it has an aftermarket ramp with a gold bead sight on it. Gemini offers gold bead sights for the interchangeable front sight system.

The second GP has a Novak tritium front sight installed. This brings up something for which to be aware. Not all GP100 front sights are interchangeable via the front plunger! This second GP is a .44 Special. Other models with the dovetailed front sight include the 3" models with Novak rear sights. All GP100 fixed sight models (except those with Novaks) have sights that retained via cross pin. They can be removed with a roll pin punch but not quickly. If I had (and may in the future) another GP with the interchangeable front sight I would probably use a XS Standard Dot tritium front sight due to ease of pickup by the eye and the glow in the dark feature. Some other manufacturers also offer tritium front sights. My selection would be based upon results I have with a SP101 with the Standard Dot. At one time I had the Big Dot but for me it blocked too much of the target unless very close.

At one time Mepro had a tritium sight set for the adjustable sighted GP's. Here is a link to a thread with a pic of a GP with
Mepros:

https://rugerforum.net/optics/70566-gp-100-night-sights.html

My GP100's both have a Bowen Rough Country rear sight. I like this over stock as the adjustment can be locked in. For those preferring click adjustable Bowen also offers Target sight. I like them due to the flat rear blade and durability. At one time Millett offered adjustable rear sights for the GP but they are out of production now. The Bowen sights can have the blades changed to different configurations such as all black, white outline or a V configuration.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I have the HiViz with green fiber optic stick. It's not a night sight, but it it really seems to pop for me to see even in dim light.

I have a red ramp, and painted orange sight too. They are all better than the black on black since I seem to always be shooting black targets.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I will second the bowen rear sight. I have these on my gp100’s. Rough country with target blades. As far as front sights, I have 2 with the gold bead that was factory for the 5” blued half lug version, and on my stainless 6” model, I changed the red ramp out for a fiber optic sight. I don’t carry these, so I do not need night sights. YMMV.

·
Grand Inquisitor
1,713 Posts
I switched the stock black ramp on my gun to a FO tube, a HiViz like True Grit installed.

I don't like it much. The problem I have is that unless you have a light source at the correct angle, it is far from bright. I've found it dim at best in low light.

It did light up well when I shot a Copperhead last year, in the pitch dark. I had a flashlight in my support hand, however.

So I'm considering Tritium or a gold bead front sight. The gun rides on my hip when farming and is my primary HD gun.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great info. The only Tritium front sight I've found is XS and I don't like the rear sight on those. I had one on my Glock, and It just didn't work for me. Anyone have a Tritium other than the Novak? I emailed them and they say it won't work with the GP100 standard, only the MC.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Nice purchase. I replaced my front sight also with a hi-viz green river optic. On my GP100 it comes with a Ruger branded rubber Hogue grip.The Hogue branded rubber grip for a GP100 does not feel as good as the Ruger.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I think HiViz now makes a fiber optic front sight with a white tritium outer ring so you have both day and night capability.
I have a Sig. Legion SAO and they come from the factory with a similar setup, X-Ray 3 front sight,bright green with a white tritium circle and it works very well. It's not fiber optic but a flourescent paint for daytime and the tritium night sight. Rear sight is blacked out with 2 tritium dots for night.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I think HiViz now makes a fiber optic front sight with a white tritium outer ring so you have both day and night capability.
I have a Sig. Legion SAO and they come from the factory with a similar setup, X-Ray 3 front sight,bright green with a white tritium circle and it works very well. It's not fiber optic but a flourescent paint for daytime and the tritium night sight. Rear sight is blacked out with 2 tritium dots for night.
NO! Now I have to order another new sight option. Thanks gw for making me spend more money.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You sir have lived up to your Avatar as one of my favorite characters! This is great info!

You have all given me great info and I want to thank you all for taking the time to help me.

Does anyone know if all GP100s have the same front sight removal method of pushing in the spring just above the barrel?

Thank you!
jerdog3

·
Registered
166 Posts
NO! Now I have to order another new sight option. Thanks gw for making me spend more money.
Hey! True Grit.....guess what? HiViz also now offers a new REAR fiber optic sight for the GP100, don't stop now brother go all the way.....hottest thing out for the GP100.
P.S.
Let us know how all of those work on the GP100, Thanks!

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have a 4.2" with a Hi Viz sight on the front and it's quite fat for target shooting. Are there any fine point sight sets made for target shooting for the GP100?

·
Registered
166 Posts
You sir have lived up to your Avatar as one of my favorite characters! This is great info!

You have all given me great info and I want to thank you all for taking the time to help me.

Does anyone know if all GP100s have the same front sight removal method of pushing in the spring just above the barrel?

Thank you!
jerdog3
Greetings jerdog3,
That Avatar was taken 3 days ago, I use to "STAR" in many western movies in the 1960-70's era. Had a costar that was Clint somebody, he is probably washing dishes somewhere now....I would be happy to send you a autographed glossy for your mantle.(for $5.00 + shipping & handling) Shipping and Handling is usually $27.50 but I rounded it down to an even $30.00.... That price is good for all fellow RugerForum members also.

About that front sight, I sure hope they all come with that push button spring thing. I just ordered a 5" GP100 to arrive Tuesday and may have to change to fiber optic front.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Great!! I just ordered one for my GP. Great share of info I would have not known if it werent for you.

·
Registered
166 Posts
[quoteA=PTAGP100;4475595]Great!! I just ordered one for my GP. Great share of info I would have not known if it werent for you.[/quote]

Awesome, PTAGP100,
Please give us a report on those when you get them evaluated, seems like a good option for day and low to no light.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I read somewhere that either Williams or Dawson makes a fiber optic front that is smaller in diameter I believe.
I'll have to take a look. The Hi Viz sights are great for visibility, especially for self-defense situations, but for target, I definitely need to go thinner!

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
I have the Hi-Viz fiber optic front sight on my 5 in bbl GP100 with interchangeable colors of tubes, I rotate between red and green, and like it a lot. I have a Tru-glo fiber optic front sight on my MKII .22 pistol and it is a smaller fiber-optic tube more suited for precision target shooting. However, I like the Hi-Viz on my GP100 just fine for the type of shooting that I do with it.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Hey! True Grit.....guess what? HiViz also now offers a new REAR fiber optic sight for the GP100, don't stop now brother go all the way.....hottest thing out for the GP100.
P.S.
Let us know how all of those work on the GP100, Thanks!
I just installed the HIVIZ H3 day/night sight on my GP100. My initial impression is that it's OK.

In daylight, the original LiteWave fiber optic in green is much brighter.

It the dark, the night sight is easily visible, the tritium is only a ring outlining the FO, so it's not super bright. The tritium is just enough to make the FO glow.

The GP is in my nightstand, so I will be keeping the new sight installed. I'll give it a longer look tonight when it's really dark.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts