Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Real Guns - Ruger Redhawks - A case of Sibling Rivalry 44 mag vs 45 Colt
"It is funny how we all go on about specific firearms and cartridges, debating every details as though each would make the decisive difference on a hunt of a life time or in a self defense situation. The truth of the matter is, we buy what we like, what we can shoot and what instills confidence in the aforementioned situations.
I wear this Ruger Redhawk 45 Colt when I am out walking the property or hunting. It only holds six rounds and it is a bit heavy, but it can handle the hottest ammo and handloads and I can hit with it intuitively. What are some of your favorite guns, without disparaging another person's choice?"

I can only shoot pistol caliber firearms at the local range, limiting my choices.
My current favorite is the LCRx, SA fun at the range after warming up with my Single Six .22LR.
When at home, it's in a Blackhawk front pocket carry holster (I don't have a CC permit yet). Now, I know what forum members often say about their CCW, that you forget that you're carrying one. I feel comfortable with the .38Sp cartridge for home defense with the SR9C as back-up.
Maybe, one day, I'll 'upgrade' and get a SP101 or a GP100.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Mall ninja says you're wrong :D

My favorite really does change frequently. I enjoy all of what I have or there is purpose or I wouldn't have them. What I choose to play with vs what I would grab if the zombies attacked vary as well. Variety is truly the spice of life. Even the brand I'm not fond of, Glock, is a fine weapon. My dislike is purely based on the fan boys and grip angle.

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
I own firearms to protect my right to own them and don't give much thought about them for individual protection so my choice might seem a bit odd. But I like Henrys. They are inexpensive (if you keep them stock), are accurate enough for me, and never fail to put a grin on my face.

Yes I do carry a Springfield XD Sub-Compact in 9mm and it serves its purpose. But if I ever have to shoot it for its intended purpose I know its not going to be very much fun.

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
I own firearms to protect my right to own them too. Never bought anything I hadn't done a ton research on first, got actual opinions from people that actually owned them and had hands on firing (when I could). Then test fired, fine tuned and gave a good break-in period looking for any flaws.

Figure if "it" ever hits the fan, it's going to be a grab and go with little time to debate about it. ALL mine are good to go.

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
General handgun for range/woods.... A .45 Colt Single Action is of course hands down favorite. Ruger .45 Colt flattop medium frame. As far as I am concerned it will handle everything around here. No Cape Buffalo for example to tangle with.

For CC, the .44Spec Bulldog meets that requirement for town protection, plus a 12g Couchgun at home.

In the .22 catagory, my Henry lever gun and .22 Single Six is the cats meow.

In the hunting catagory my Remington bolt action 30/06 does the trick. 30/30 for brush...

In the cap/ball blackpower catagory, the Ruger Old Army is the favorite.

That said, I like shooting several other calibers as well.... But the above handle the chores and most of the fun.

·
Registered
951 Posts
I like all my guns, if I didn't they'd be somebody elses. And as long as you're shooting the same direction I am I don't care what you shoot.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
I have handguns only and 70% of them are Rugers.

Each one is a favorite of mine in it's own way as each has it's own purpose...make sense?

·
Registered
734 Posts
My favorite handgun that I own is my 6" GP100. The weight and barrel length really soak up the recoil with even the heaviest .357 loads. My favorite overall is a tie between my GP and my Da's 1911. Manageable recoil and a grip that feels like it was made for my hand.

·
Registered
12,990 Posts
I would say my favorite handgun is my .45 Kimber Crimson Pro Carry, although many of my others would finish a strong second.

·
Righteous Dude
21,694 Posts
I tend to carry semi-autos. I love shooting revolvers. I like carrying and shooting my G26 and G19. I like my G34, but I cannot figure out how to carry it comfortably ;)

·
From Land of Fruit & Nuts
12,955 Posts
LCR-357 with Hornady Critical Defense .38 Special 110 gr FTX (flex tip expanding bullet)
Picked up my LTC on 9/3 and have been carrying it since.
Don't even notice anymore.
It's like carrying the pocket knife I have been carrying all my adult life.
At the range I practice with .38 Special wadcutters and finish with 10 or 20 rounds of .357 Mag.
I really like the HIVIz Ruger LCR Front Sight, Green that I installed.
Not an easy feat for this dufus -- those teeny weeny roll pins are mavericks! :D

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
I like my LCRX .38 special +p for my main CCW gun but don't care for +p ammo thru it too much on my hand. I like my S&W Mod.17 .22LR & My GSG .22 1911 for casual .22 pistol shooting and its a toss up between either Henry Lever or Ruger 10/22 rifles kinda like levers better. My center fire pistol shooting also like my S&W Model 66 & Ruger Vaquero Bisley .357, Centerfire rifle my Ruger Mini 14 ranch rifle, my Marlin XL7 Bolt action .223. Lever Rifle center fire Marlin 336 SC 30-30 Marlin 1894 CB .357 & my latest Rossi Model 92 big loop .357 the rifle thats in my Avatar pic. I have retired my larger rifles due to shoulder problems but they are chambered in .270 Winchester. Personally I think your choice in the Ruger Redhawk in .45 Long Colt is a winner the Redhawk is a very nice revolver. I know that they made them in .357 magnum at one time this is one I would like to have!:D

·
Registered
152 Posts
HK P2000 is my all-around favorite. Just the right size for anything within reason.

I will never sell my SR1911CMD though. It'll be in my safe for decades to come....until I pass it along to my sons.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I carry either a CZ p07 or a 101 .38 with wadcutters . I like all my weapons and they all have a use/purpose. Just that I like em is all I need to keep em. I don't argue what others may prefer. There are lots of choices and each person gets to make their pick as to what suits them.

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
I love my Mosins (lol)...but I'm a Ruger (only except one SAA Pietta clone that's a hoot to shoot) single action nut...got way too many in too many calibers in too many styles and barrel lengths...got Makarovs for simple carry at home and around the house and in the garage...GP 100s are the main go to house gun...CZ's are the guns I bought because Ruger won't or can't sell the 1911 in California....Got one Taurus 92AFS pimp gun and frankly it's the most accurate and reliable semi I've ever owned. Rifles are Mosins, Mausers, 1917 Winchester Enfield and a 62A 22 Winchester pump..from the late 40's...like my first gun (not my first one...a tribute rifle)
Don't buy any new guns...don't trust the quality...favorite caliber is 45 Colt hands down.

When I get ready to shoot...I grab a gun or two...check the calibers...grab the corresponding ammo and away we go..Load for most of what I got...Somebody gets into the house...there are little surprises all around the house and all are kept serviceable and shot enough to count on.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Although the LCR38 is my EDC and I shoot it well, my favorite is my blue GP100 4". It's a great shooter and my groups are tighter.

·
"The Real Deal"
7,984 Posts
I have three that tie as my favorites, my kp90dc in 45acp, my smith and wesson 29 8&3/8's in 44 magnum, and my Desert Eagle 50ae. My kp90 cause it was the first pistol I ever bought, my 29 because I am a huge clint fan, and my desert eagle because I am extremely accurate with it, and its sheer raw power, 300 grain bullet @1500fps, there isn't much it can't handle. That says alot seeing how I own many many pistols.;)

Now none will make good ccw pistols although I have carried the 50ae concealed in a shoulder holster, and concealed well.:cool:

·
Registered
12,851 Posts
Tough call between the 1911's or the 454 Alaskan...or is the GSR...but then the lever guns are fun....or the great time with the 10/22's...oh never mind :D

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
I know y'all won't believe me but I love every one of my guns and they are all my favorite. There are a couple that I love more than the others but every single one is my favorite. I research the crap out of every gun I buy and I've never bought a gun just for the heck of it.

Out of all my guns my very, very favorites are (in no particular order):

1. Winchester 94 .44 magnum - it was purchased new by my father in early/mid 70's when the .44 magnum was first introduced so it's not only sentimental because it belonged to my father but unique in that it is among the first of the .44 magnum Winnie 94's ever built.

2. S&W 629 V-Comp Performance Center .44 magnum - I fell in love with this gun the first time I saw one on the S&W website. Unfortunately, in addition to being quite pricey, they were impossible to find. Even online they would sell within a couple minutes of coming available and I never could get one after trying for almost two years. Then a couple years ago, my sister gave me one for Christmas...talk about surprised, especially since she also gave me a Walther P22 and Bond Arms Bond Girl derringer.

3. STI Elektra .45acp - Another gun I saw online and fell in love with. As with all STI guns because of their popularity (unless you get lucky and find the model you want in a store) you have to order what you want and wait at least 3 months for them to build it. Before I could decide if I could spend $1400 on a 1911, my sister got it for me for Christmas (was the year before she got me the V-Comp and others). Yes, she is that awesome. I've gotten her some awesome guns too like a Kimber Solo CDP, Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II and several others.

4. Ruger Wiley Clapp GP100 Stainless - Saw it, wanted it and am soooo glad I bought it. What a fantastic revolver.

5. 1873 Springfield "Trapdoor" carbine .45-70 - I wanted an actual carbine but they were a couple thousand plus so I found the next best thing. This started out as a rifle but apparently was professionally cut down to a carbine in the 1800's. I've had people look at it and they have all said it's the nicest cut down job any of them have ever seen. It's like holding history and shooting it is just intense when you think of what this little rifle with the big boom's life must have been like and what it has seen.

I have a couple more I need to add but I'm out of time.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts