Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another thread got me thinking about my first computer. It was a Mac LC with 10MB hard-drive and 2MB ram which I upgraded to 4MB. I never understood DOS or why anyone would want to use a PC.

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
First computer

Another thread got me thinking about my first computer. It was a Mac LC with 10MB hard-drive and 2MB ram which I upgraded to 4MB. I never understood DOS or why anyone would want to use a PC.
I'm dating myself here, but our first "computer" was a Burroughs. It was the size of a large desk, had an IBM ball printer, used perforated tapes to load programs, store data on 9X12 magnetic tape cards, and the instructions were an 8 volume set of books like an encylopedia. When DOS came around it was a miracle. Oh and did I mention my first handgun was a flintlock ??? :D

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm dating myself here, but our first "computer" was a Burroughs. It was the size of a large desk, had an IBM ball printer, used perforated tapes to load programs, store data on 9X12 magnetic tape cards, and the instructions were an 8 volume set of books like an encylopedia. When DOS came around it was a miracle. Oh and did I mention my first handgun was a flintlock ??? :D
I'm surprised it wasn't a big stick. :D

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
I never got the operating mentality for the DOS system in the IBM XTs at the college where I worked in the mid 80s. I fooled around with the primitive Apples and radio-shack stuff....but my first real "I can use this" computer was an H P with 100megs of RAM and a 1 GB hard drive. I got it when Windows 3.1 was upgrading to the new Windows 95. Thats when I set up a machine at home..hooked up a printer and a scanner, and started playing on the net. It beat hell out of the MACs we used in the classroom where I worked at the time.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I was king with my 386!! Got it used from a friend , All I could do was turn it on and play a couple games thought it was fast. Did not know it at the time but it was outdated and slow.
A friend of mine's kid got a new one last year, he is a "Gamer" I think it was $4000 it's water cooled. Have no idea how many gig's it is. I had a old Butler racing seat from the late model days, we built a frame around it to hold his steering and foot peddles. What a setup !

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
old computers

I was king with my 386!! Got it used from a friend , All I could do was turn it on and play a couple games thought it was fast. Did not know it at the time but it was outdated and slow.
A friend of mine's kid got a new one last year, he is a "Gamer" I think it was $4000 it's water cooled. Have no idea how many gig's it is. I had a old Butler racing seat from the late model days, we built a frame around it to hold his steering and foot peddles. What a setup !
Remember the first computer games like PONG ?? High tech stuff. :D

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
An 8088 processor with 640K of RAM, dual floppy drives, and an amber monitor. I was thrilled out of my mind when I paid $300 for a 30MB hard drive. WordPerfect 4.2, Lotus 123, and a 1200 baud modem.

·
Registered
824 Posts
First was an IBM punched-card mainframe. Okay, it wasn't mine personally but was the first computer I ever used. First personal computer was a Zenith 8086 PC clone - no hard drive just two 5.25" floppy drives! I even still have a shrink-wrapped box of BASF disks from that era.

·
Registered
183 Posts
My first personally owned computer (back in the mid 80's) was a Timex-Sinclair 1000.

It used a TV for a monitor, a cassette recorder for program and data storage, and had a munchkin sized flat membrane keyboard. Took about 5 minutes to load or save a very simple spreadsheet.

It had a whopping 1K of ram, which I doubled to 2K with a plug in expansion memory. see edit below

Here's a little more info on them...

Timex Sinclair 1000 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I thought that I still had it somewhere, packed away, but I couldn't find it when I looked for it a couple years ago.

By today's standards, it was a POS. But at that time it was pretty high tech.

At least it was pretty inexpensive. Even with the expanded memory, and the cassette recorder, I think I had about $150 invested.

I learned a lot playing with it.

Duane

Edit: I just remembered. The expansion memory took it to 16K. It was a long time ago.

·
Registered
815 Posts
My first computer was a cheap Tandy. No hard drive and used cassette tapes for storage, that was like 1982 or 83. All my other s have been PC's. Don't care for Apple, never had one and probably never will. When I got serious back in the mid 90's, there was far more stuff for PC's as opposed to Apple, so never even considered one.

Kind of like the argument between Glock guys and 1911 guys, to each his own.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I'm amazed at how long some of you guys have been around computers.
It's a living :D Basically been daily sitting at one or more professionally for the past decade and a half, used them regularly throughout college and grad school before that, and got started on them in high school at the end of the 1970's (used the local University's mainframe to learn FORTRAN77). MS-Dos 2 through 6, Windows 1.0 through 7.0, Apple System 6 through 9, OS X beta through 10.8 (been a seed tester for several OS X releases), UNIX/Linux, SGI's IRIX and a few other variants.

At home I use OS X mostly, but have a Windows Box for naval syms. At work I have mostly Windows 7 boxes and a small Scyld Beowulf cluster. I'm basically my own sysadmin by default, but I primarily do analyses, data interpretation and write publication drafts (biologist by education, but have been a Bioinformatician/IT-type/Analyst for most of my career).

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
In 1978 I bought an Ohio Scientific Superboard II. It used a 6502 processor, had 8K RAM and used a cassette tape recorder to store programs. It came without a case and a power supply so I had to provide both. It had a B&W 32x32 character display with crude block graphics. Later I bought the expansion board that provided an additional 24K of ram space for a whopping total of 32K. Also on the board was a disk controller so I could use a 5.25" floppy drive.

Later I designed an interface card cage and added a color graphics board based on the TI 99/4 graphics chip, etc.

Later in it's life I turned it into a dedicated print spooler for my CPM computer....

Yup, I'm old.

I also have a DEC PDP 8 somehwere in my basement.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.