Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you remember how old you were and what type of gun you shot?

I was around 6 years old, it was an M1 Garand with blanks in it, while my dad supervised, and laughed at the result.

·
Registered
17,040 Posts
I was 5, and it was a single action Colt .22 magnum.

·
Registered
5,940 Posts
Probably 6, it was a 22 rifle. I had my daughter out at 5 with a 22 pistol, she got hooked real quick.

Here Kitty Kitty

·
Viceroy 🟩🟩🟩
2,962 Posts
I must have been raised well because I don't remembe. Probably because I was so young and it became an everyday occurrence.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
I must have been raised well because I don't remembe. Probably because I was so young and it became an everyday occurrence.
Same here. I don't remember ever NOT being around any firearms.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
I don't remember exactly. Probably 9 or 10 years old. Dad only had one working firearm in the house. A Remington 512 I think. Grandpa had a few more out in the country where he lived. I'm pretty sure this is the first one I shot. It was Dad's gun when he lived there.
I wanted to take the gun home with me so bad, but Grandpa finally relented and said he would sell it to me for what he paid for it, 50¢. So, next time we went to visit, I handed him the 50¢ and it was mine. That was pert near 60 years ago. I still have it.

·
Exchequer
4,597 Posts
I generally cannot remember what I had for breakfast, but I do remember my first time shooting.

Probably 8 or 9 and dad used to take me and my brother to the range. He had two Westernfield (Montgomery Ward) .22 rifles and would drive out to an indoor range a few miles from home. Very fond memories of time with my dad and brother. And still have one of those old .22 rifles.

·
One Star
9,720 Posts
I was in boot camp the first time I fired a rifle,a M-14,1968.At the age of eighteen years old.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
First time I shot anything other than a toy gun was a Daisy red rider my dad got me when I was 12. He didn't own any firearms because mom didn't like them. The first real firearm I shot was in ROTC class in High School. It was a single shot .22 bolt action rifle, forgot what model it was. We had an indoor range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
long ago

60 years ago almost to the day, I was 7 years old. I had finished the NRA for kids class and dad took me to the trailglade range west of Miami FL. He was given (an NRA loaner) I think a single shot Remington .22 It had Peep sights and we shot at 25 yards. Each of us had a rangemaster by our sides. I clearly recall him saying "even if you know it is unloaded, never ever forget to act like it is loaded" clearly I was confused so much so that I never forgot it. great day, shooting has taught me how to control myself and act responsibly. The best lesson I have ever learned.

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
Five years old. My grandmother actually taught me to shoot that old .22 single shot that my grand father bought new in 1934 or 1935. It is a Winchester Model 67-22 that shoots shorts, longs and long rifle. It is sitting in my vault right now.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
I don't remember exactly. Probably 9 or 10 years old. Dad only had one working firearm in the house. A Remington 512 I think. Grandpa had a few more out in the country where he lived. I'm pretty sure this is the first one I shot. It was Dad's gun when he lived there.
I wanted to take the gun home with me so bad, but Grandpa finally relented and said he would sell it to me for what he paid for it, 50¢. So, next time we went to visit, I handed him the 50¢ and it was mine. That was pert near 60 years ago. I still have it.

I thought I had seen most rifles.....but not this one , man I just gotta know...what is it ?
Gary

·
Corps Commander NGV
4,904 Posts
I was 5 or 6 years old. We were out along the canals by the Everglades. The .22 rifle was this old Remington pump action (it didn't look like this then). I bought my first new rifle at 8yrs old. I learned to use open sights and make every shot count with that Glenfield single shot. I remember the fun of being prone with my rifle at 25yds on a rented shooting mat at Miami's Trailglades Range. Dad would drive me out there on Saturday afternoons when he got off work. Good memories...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,971 Posts
I was about 6, it was a J.C. Penney 22 single shot bolt rifle that I still have and that was over sixty years ago.

·
Registered
499 Posts
My grandfather my dad my brother and I used to pop soda cans on the back side of the farm when I was around five years old with my dad's single shot Stevens model 15 that my grandfather had bought for him when he was a kid.
I still have the rifle and every once in a while I will pull it out and pop soda cans just for the memories.

·
Dog Soldier
1,782 Posts
My Father, brother (8), and I (10), were walking a mountain road and came upon a Black Man and his Beagle. He was hunting rabbits with a pump .22 rifle. My father and he visited for a while and the man let use boys shot his rifle. I can still see him, his rifle, and beagle in my mind.

1 - 20 of 125 Posts