Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was browsing the thread on how often do you carry, and got to wondering - how many here might 'know somebody' that carries in a workplace that while may not be off limits legally, has strict company policies against it?

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Carrying concealed means noone notices-NOONE-and I've carried since I was 14 legally and not-never been spotted-you can always get another job----you can even do a little time---if you're alive to do it---thank God for carry permits-they keep a lot of good men out of jail-----that's my call for ME-----it's a value thing-every man must decide......carefully.......

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Carried since about 16yrs old and had a lot of jobs that it was against company practice to carry. On some I left them in my car on others where I traveled I took one with me. If it's my butt on the line I want to have something to say about it. It's a personal choice.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,328 Posts
I guess a lot depends on what kind of job you have. I can't see any good reason to go armed in an office or factory job but I could sure see some other jobs. One of my friends works for a utility company. Even though his company has a "firing" policy for carrying a weapon, he accepts the risk of being caught. Sometimes his job takes him to places that are an "unfriendly" environment if not down right dangerous. I don't blame him for going armed in those situations.

I worked for a large electronics company for 15 years. After a serious "workplace violence" situation at one of our plants, the company adopted a "no firearms" policy at all locations. You would get fired if you even brought a gun on company property, to include the parking lot in your own car. I saw this enforced several times where employees lost their job because a firearm was visible in their vehicle.

Personally, I couldn't see any good reason to jeopardize my job for a remote "what if" scenario, however I felt having a gun in your car (out of sight) was justified. Many employees drive through some bad areas on their way to and from work.

Companies do have a right to deny weapons on their property as do other places of business such as stores, restaurants, and offices. I believe some people go armed just for the macho image and not to thwart a real threat. In those cases, they are just feeding their ego. I believe if my job was so dangerous where I felt I should be armed and the company prohibited it, I would find another job.

·
Registered
557 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Iowegan

1) I guess a lot depends on what kind of job you have. I can't see any good reason to go armed in an office or factory job but I could sure see some other jobs.

2) I worked for a large electronics company for 15 years. After a serious "workplace violence" situation at one of our plants, the company adopted a "no firearms" policy at all locations.

3) Personally, I couldn't see any good reason to jeopardize my job for a remote "what if" scenarioÉ

4) I believe some people go armed just for the macho image and not to thwart a real threat. In those cases, they are just feeding their ego.

5)I believe if my job was so dangerous where I felt I should be armed and the company prohibited it, I would find another job.
1) OK
2) Banning firearms will keep employees safe from a random violent act how?
3) Since you had a "serious "workplace violence" situation" at a place you worked at, it doesn't seem too remote.
4) Some do
5) See #2 above.
If I KNEW where the dangerous places and people were I'd never go anywhere near them. The problem is things happen no matter where you are or what you're doing.
Using that logic, since I have new tires I don't need a jack or spare tire. I'm in pretty good healh so I don't need my first aid kit, etc, etc.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Yep I agree 100% with you 2400. I was a over the road truck driver and I packed everywhere. Company had a no guns policy in their trucks and on there property. No one ever knew I had it not even my closees friends. Saved my bacon once in of all places Chicago.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Once you've been under arms for a living-you're more aware of the world's evils--the instant trouble potential that exists everywhere-and the stress of workplaces-and animosity---and seething resentment--are part of most workplaces...add the mentality of many supv. and desk jockeys---I'd rather carry and risk it not only for my own good, but for the good of my co-workers...speaking for myself-I don't carry for my safety alone but for others'-I'm not LEO---haven't been since 79, but my heart would break if I had to stand and watch something awful happen and all I could do was watch...I feel that every qualified able-bodied man should be ready to step up in a situation-this country wasn't built and maintained by a select few wearing uniforms-who will tell you they aren't for our protection but to enforce the law...but by citizens who stood up to evil whenever and wherever...I just saw a piece on TV where an old man of about 70 had been given the heart of a 16-year-old killed in a drive-by......a disgruntled member of a homeowners' association walked into a board meeting and shot 4-5 with a pistol, then picked up a rifle-at that time, the old fat man charged him bare-handed and tackled him-took him down-and they got his gun away---that old man is a real hero-he said he just couldn't sit there and let it happen...that's why I carry-because I can, because I'm trained, because it's something I might be able to contribute someday---you guys might not admit it in the Coffee Shop, but there're MANY here that have the sheepdog mentality-thank God we're out here...I wish I could find and print the article that defined my mindset-maybe Tim has it-it's a life choice. Look for trouble? NEVER-I don't even go to the 7-11 during robtime if I don't have to-but ready for trouble? I have to be-we each make the choice that's right for us...and noone has the right to make it for us...

·
Registered
758 Posts
The last 15 years I worked, I was with the world’s largest pizza delivery company making store-door deliveries of bulk food to stores in Michigan, northeastern Indians, and northern Ohio. This meant I was getting out of the truck to work in cities like South Bend, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Akron, Canton, and Detroit. You might also run out of hours at any one of these places and have to park and sleep (at that time) for 8 hours.

About half of the stores were locates in “questionable” neighborhoods and it was not terribly unusual for our drivers to be subjected to being robbed, but the company had a strict policy against carrying firearms. A policy I totally ignored and carried a 1911 or a P90 in a Smart Carry on almost every trip.

I never got robbed or had to use it, thank God, but I was much more comfortable walking around the streets of Detroit with it than not with it. Many of our runs were team runs, and I know my co-drivers were happy I was carrying, or they too were carrying.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
America was begun by guys who had hidden, contraband, illegal guns--has been continuously defended by men who carried much more than issued weapons-illegal hideouts, non-issue shotguns, etc...and the streets have been safer-the wars went better--we've been hornswoggled into thinking the gov't can tell us what we can have and where we can carry it-it never was intended to be that way---I'd love to have a dollar for everyone carrying BOTH illegally and aagainst company policy-AND I'd love to be standing beside them when the fertilizer hit the Emerson!~!!

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
I was a LEO for some time and I have to agree with a lot of what Sheepdog says. If I were to avoid 'the bad places' in our little town of 140,000 I would essentially have to stay home. A year ago, a man who worked in my building was at a car wash in a 'good neighborhood'. 3 men approached him, knocked him to the ground, stole his wallet and shot him dead right in front of his wife and kids. Every trip to the bank lobby or the convenience store can be a trip straight to Hell anymore. It happens every day, in every city of any size, to people of all walks of life. As long as there are drugs on the street and people too lazy to work for a living, we all face this danger. I'm not paranoid, have no illusions of grandeur and I don't want to be John Wayne. I am, however, always alert to my surroundings and will be very relieved to be able to carry concealed legally. I have told others for years that I would rather be arrested, tried and convicted of a misdemeanor than be dead.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I'm retired and find you don't need to be on a job or trip to benefit from being armed. Too many drug crazies or macho gangsters who are willing to do you in for a fix or ego booster. I was accosted in my driveway 6 or 8 years ago while going out to get my paper but I stood my ground with my hand on my sig that was in my back pocket. T he guy who had jumped out of the passenger side of the car and charged me changed his mind and ran back to the car. About 2 years ago the guy across the street had a life threatening event with a crazy but he locked the door and called the police. They got there just as the nut was breaking in the back door. Later I asked the neighbor if he had a gun, yes but it was somewhere (shotgun) in the base ment. I told him he better find it and keep it ready.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
quote:Originally posted by white dog

Later I asked the neighbor if he had a gun, yes but it was somewhere (shotgun) in the base ment. I told him he better find it and keep it ready.
+1

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Speaking of being ready I took my three autos out shooting today after one of them hung up on me last time and I took them home and cleaned them up good. They depend on maintenance so I better do a little more of it. They all fired perfect.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I carry all the time, If I don't have my shootin iron on my person it is with in reach. I can grab my pistol 100% of the time, eating,relaxing, sleeping, showering, driving, working, playing ect... you get the idea.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hello Bunzo. I read your story of delivering for a Pizza company. The smart carry holster is it as comfortable and concealable as advertized? I have been thinking of this holster because of the heat in Texas and my job being outside.

·
Registered
377 Posts
No guns where I work and that isn't going to change anytime soon.
("Noone" is NOT a word; it is "no one" for those that speak English as a first language.;))

·
Registered
758 Posts
quote:Originally posted by threeg45

Hello Bunzo. I read your story of delivering for a Pizza company. The smart carry holster is it as comfortable and concealable as advertized? I have been thinking of this holster because of the heat in Texas and my job being outside.
Sorry about the delay.

It’s not as comfortable as they say it is, but it was the best way for me to carry while doing the kind of work I used to do.

One thing that they will not tell you is that if it is hot and you sweat a lot, the sweat will soak into the Smart Carry and get your weapon sweaty…..and rusty. I was mortified when I discovered rust on my P90 after only one day!

But they do work, and they allow you to totally conceal your weapon to the point no one will ever see it.

It allowed me to carry in a business and for a company that was totally anti-gun.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Bunzo, Smart Carry say that they have added a layer of material that will keep the sweat away for the gun. Did yours have that layer?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts