Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Calibers are a funny thing. There are so many choices today, and there are even more that are now obsolete. Sure, there are popular choices such as the .30-06, but lets face it, it just works, its available everywhere, isnt flashy, and lets face it, some would consider boring. Nothing against the great .30-06, dont misunderstand me. I have more than one and have used it with great success and have never been disappointed, and I have even used it in competition.

That said, I do have an appreciation for some less popular cartridges. While they are not obsolete by any stretch of the imagination, they certainly are not popular as evidence by the lack of availability of factory ammo at my LGS's. I really enjoy the .44-40. Its a cartridge that has gone by the wayside. It got a resurgence in popularity for a while with the SASS guys, especially those who have an eye toward authenticity, but its popularity has been falling once again. For me, I really enjoy the caliber. Its a lot of fun in both revolver and lever. For me, it has a fun amount of recoil and is just enjoyable for me. The other is a cartridge ahead of its time, the .350 Remington Mag. Of all my less than popular cartridges, this is probably the closest to obsolete. If you need further proof, do a search on Gunbroker. There are always some very nice rifles for sale, but ammo and brass is very scarce. Leftover factory ammo is currently going for about $75 a box. BUT despite that, I really enjoy the caliber and the rifle that I have it chambered in, a nice, light, short handy rifle with a low power scope. Its accurate, hard hitting, and easy to carry.

Now, I know they are not the most obscure out there, but what are some of the obscure cartridges that you all enjoy shooting or have a love for beyond all reason?

·
Registered
5,619 Posts
The 7-30 Waters.

·
Corps Commander NGV
4,662 Posts
As a shooter I have always avoided obscure calibers. I prefer easy availability and low ammo prices. Owning military surplus rifles has given me an appreciation for .303 British, 7.62x54R, and the 7.92x57 (8mm Mauser). While I truly love my .30-06 rifles (both bolt action and M1 Garand), our allies and enemies alike had some great chamberings for their battle rifles .

·
Registered
458 Posts
Among others, had always had interest in 350 rem mag and whelan, almost had a rifle builder friend build either in mauser. Ended up with .358 win and wouldn't mind another in BLR or mauser.

The older medium to large bore calibers always interested me too (going back to 19th & early 20th century) and am challenged lately with time to work with what I have more,
375hh & 416 rigby. Of course 4570 is tops for me to hunt with still but these are not necessarily obscure.

Like several older efficient short actions that are less than 30 cal. from 40s/50s or so, that are obscure. More so than recent popular WSMs etc, tho great cartridges themselves. Not enough time, really need my own personal range close by, Lol.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
44 Special is my "rarest" caliber I shoot/reload for.

I try to stick with more common calibers like 9mm, 38 SPL, 380 ACP, 22 LR, 44 Mag/SPL.

·
Exchequer
4,493 Posts
As a shooter I have always avoided obscure calibers. I prefer easy availability and low ammo prices.
I'm pretty much in this same category. I can certainly appreciate some of the more obscure calibers, but I just can't afford them. Until (or unless) my budget changes for the better, I'm content with the more common calibers that I can use in both pistols, revolvers, and rifles.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Although not obscure, for me, the out of the ordinary cartridge in my stable is the 32 Win Special. Bought a single lot of items from an elderly friend, and the Win 94 in 32 WS was included.

It's a really good shooter with open sights. I impress myself with it, actually.

Bayou52

·
Registered
27 Posts
I always enjoyed the 32-20, though some other rare ones are the 35 Winchester, or my 6x47. for handguns the 38-40 or 22tcm are unique.

·
Super Moderator
21,246 Posts
Own a 250/3000, a 257 Bob and a 9x18 Makarov. They aren't terribly obscure just not common.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
I have Winchester 1892 in caliber 25-20. And a Roth-Steyer 8mm pistol. I have ammo for both but have never shot the 8mm pistol. The 25-20 was my Grandfather's. It is a sweet shooter, but ammo is hard to find and expensive.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
I don't have any obscure rifle calibers. The most obscure handgun caliber I shoot is .44 Webley followed by .32 and .38 Smith & Wesson (at least those can still be bought if needed). I have a couple single shot shotguns that originally were chambered for the "44 Gauge" (.44-40 shotshell) that somebody had rechambered to regular .410 2 3/4" shells. One of these days I'm going to get around to repairing them back to original then I'll have another obscure caliber to play with.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I forgot about it, too ...

Dang, I forgot about that one. That’s a neat little round.
The .218 Bee was a great little round for its day and time; I'd love to have a Winchester '95 in that caliber. You can make the round by necking-down and fire-forming a .32-20 case, of which I've got about a hundred.

·
Registered
146 Posts
8.6TC is the one that brings back the best memories

I worked in the firearms industry for many years, with the US Gov, Les Baer, Sabre Defence, BCM. Mid West Industries, Taurus, Sauer, Black Hills, Hornady, and numerous others, as a product designer, importer, and distributor of there product lines. The 8.6TC was based of the 30TC case and expanded to a 338 Bullet. The concept was similar to the 300 Blackout with more punch. Idea was 300 grain bullet subsonic, fired out of 10" BBL that would penetrate body armor at 15 yards. Development was interesting as we were able to make 2 totally different rounds out of the same projectile. 1 a deep seated bullet that would fire from a a standard M4 length action, as well as a Supersonic VLD version that would fire from a rem short action. We built a total of 52 rifles for special order contract as well as provided a run ammunition of 200K rounds. I have never seen any of those rifles surface. As for the civilian version I has dies mad by Pacific tool and numerous 700's are floating around. So if you see anyone ever sell a 338/30TC or 8.6/TC for sale keep in mind you can get dies and it will rival the 338 federal as the case is shorter and fatter but still fits in a short action. You get about the same ballistics as the 338 federal with much better BC long range performance with a 25% recoil reduction.

·
Banned
29,620 Posts
I have a luger in 30 ;uger. Not obscure but uncommon. I havea topt break harrington richardson in 38 sw.This is like the 38 webly. I also have a german drilling with a rifle barrel in 9.3x72. This is a low pressure round. It is approximately equal to the 38/55 ballistically.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts