Ruger Forum banner

121 - 140 of 150 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,119 Posts
Oh, boy... where do I start? Guess I'll go to the most recent: A TriStar KRX Tactical mag fed 12 gauge - for when you absolutely, positively have to dispose of 12 ga. ammo, 10 rounds at a time. Sorry, no photo of this one.

The next one back is something I'll probably never use as a carry gun, but what the heck, it was there so I bought it.

Or the terminally pitted 1937 Brazilian Contract S&W .45 ACP revolver that looks like something out of Fallout...

I could go on and on since I've been buying rediculous no purpose guns for many, many years... :D
oh hey there buddy!

·
Registered
483 Posts
I periodically check this thread not only to see interesting guns, but also help me address the cognitive dissonance from some of my non-essential, but always wanted gun buys. Thanks for helping me with self-justification guys!

·
Registered
505 Posts
I posted my entry before, but wanted to show a before & after pic. It got a 3-7X scope (temporary), sling, case, + BX-15 magazine (not shown). This PitBull case is almost perfect size, 44" vs. 42" for my Ruger 10/22 official cases made by Allen. I got a few 46" cases for other rifles/airguns. It seemed like they were all trying for "1 Size Fits All."

BTW: I posted pics of my 10/22 40th anniversary ed. in 10/22 section, but very little response from my usual "crew."

Screenshot_20210420-125533.png
IMG_20210306_172950.jpg

·
Registered
106 Posts
My last had to have really no pourpose was Mossberg 500A 12ga 18.5 barrel , shot it few times old shoulder was sore two weeks. Really didn't need it have four hand guns and my dads old JC Higgin 12ga I sold it and purchased my Ruger 10/22 Sporter and couple boxes of ammo.
0427191901.jpg

·
Premium Member
Support Veterans
3,099 Posts
I periodically check this thread not only to see interesting guns, but also help me address the cognitive dissonance from some of my non-essential, but always wanted gun buys. Thanks for helping me with self-justification guys!
Same here for sure. I attempt to always check this thread. This tread can help with self-justification if needed but I need very little to purchase a new project. I just love some of the posts and have seen some beauties as well. I like post #124 from LifeLong Ruger Fan's before and after photos so much I started a 10/22 project with my 12 year old grand daughter for her next challenge. She has shown some interest and seems to enjoy our rimfire challenges. Thanks you guys...

Reactions: Dad45 and MadViking

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
My last had to have really no pourpose was Mossberg 500A 12ga 18.5 barrel , shot it few times old shoulder was sore two weeks. Really didn't need it have four hand guns and my dads old JC Higgin 12ga I sold it and purchased my Ruger 10/22 Sporter and couple boxes of ammo.
View attachment 154502
I have the same with plastic furniture. It is full of high brass 00 Buck and sleeps beside the bed for that unforeseen "knock in the night".

Mine kicked the crap out of me too.

·
Registered
22 Posts
A Glock in 10mm. I don't like the way they look, feel in my hand or shoot, but I wanted to see if I could make myself like it since I love the 10mm. It did not happen and I sold it, after 500 rounds at a loss.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Mine was a High Standard Model 10B shotgun. I no longer have it, but wish I did as I still think it is a pretty cool design.

·
Registered
799 Posts
I have to agree with you I also have a Taylor's Smoke wagon with the tuned action. Keeping Renaissance wax on all the chemical and true case colored hoping it will preserve the finish. It was probably a 3rd of what the Standard MFG cost. This was the pre locking firing pin safety model. They also have one in 44-40 I may have to have.

·
Registered
564 Posts

I don't know if I posted this before. Here's my newest purchase, a Heritage Rough Rider .22 6 shot. I walked into Sportsman's Warehouse to look for some ammo and there it was on the wall. I make holsters and figured I could use it to make a Western Style Holster. Price was right at $139 and then there was a $50 discount for applying for the SW credit card. They also have a discount for every 10 dollars you spend so I walked out the door with the gun, 2 boxes of CCI-Quiet and a smile on my face.

Turns out it's a keeper. Sights are dead on at 15 yards and it's a kick to shoot. My first Single Action revolver so I'm having lots of fun with it.

I didn't know I needed it but it now travels with me as a backup fun gun.

·
Administrator
22,163 Posts
Hey I like my little Bond Derringer. For Florida I put the 3 1/2" 45/410 Snake Slayer BBL and carry when we hike with # 6 in one BBL and 000 Buck in the other. set it up to fire the shot BBL first. Around the yard in NH I put the 44 special BBL on and even carry it around town.

The firearm that is useless to me right now is a Sterling 22 belly gun that I got back in the early 1980's. It was reliable, but accuracy, aim center mass with the groove for a sight and you turn the perp into a soprano. It shoots low at 5 yards and you measure it in feet. It has a trigger only a cave man would like.

·
Premium Member
4,318 Posts
I'm surprised at the number of single action 45 Colts people have listed. I guess it proves how cool those guns are but how not many people actually shoot them. I'm the opposite. I have a bunch of 45 Colt in just about any flavor you could imagine and I shoot them all all regularly.

Even though we've all listed at least one useless, unnecessary, impractical gun almost none of us have offered to sell the darn things! I'm always meaning to thin the herd but when I open the safe and start trying to decide which ones to sell I always rejustify why I need 3 9.3x62 rifles, or 2 375H&H, or (fill in the blank). I suck at trying to relinquish firearms. I do it but not without a lot of agonizing. I KNOW some of them should go but the more unique/outrageous they are the more likely I am to hang on to them. I got a problem......

Reactions: Jack Ruger

·
Grand Inquisitor
1,948 Posts
Sometimes the thing that seems to have no purpose ends up having one.

I did not need a second Blackhawk. But I bought one from a member of this group just because it was shiny and was barely used. Now I carry it in a full-flap Ruger holster with three snake shot rounds and three 357 magnum rounds when I am out in the woods. Here it is with its Ruger sibling.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
California (the state I live in) has had an ongoing learning curve with respect to gun laws. They thought that they had everything covered specifically with regards to Pen Guns. In fact they had a specific law stating that "Pen Guns" were illegal in the state. Couldn't buy, sell, lend, give, acquire, possess, etc. So a company started producing a 22 LR pin gun. It actually looked like a pen. I forget now, but it was manipulated to where it folded into an angle (almost 90 degrees) and a trigger dropped out. The barrel was then unscrewed for insertion of a cartridge and screwed back and ready to fire. I wanted one of those in the worst way, but being in CA I could not. The company realized that same thing and also realized that the LAW specifically stated "Pen Gun". They didn't change much, but reintroduced the gun as the "Striker Pistol" making it totally legal both in state and in the US. I bought three of them during the three month period that they were available as the Striker Pistol. At the time, I was applying for a management spot at a Federally Regulated Nuclear Power Plant and got a bad case of the heebie jeebies. I did fire them, but also realized their impractical use. Smithy.

121 - 140 of 150 Posts