Ruger Forum banner

1841 - 1860 of 1897 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Well I'm running down the road tryin' to loosen my load ...

.. take it easy .

·
Registered
403 Posts
Up a notch.

Thunder

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,761 Posts
First time posting in this thread! First a little back story to this. For two of my high school years I attended a rural school in Kearney, MO and my band director turned me on to this music along with a lot of other great jazz. Paul Smith was one of the best jazz pianists in the KC metro area and played a lot of gigs all over town. He told me this story that happened several years earlier and I've never forgot it. Mr. Smith and his regular sidemen were booked to play a school assembly in the area and when they got to the school and were setting up for the gig the school band director asked the group if they would mind if one of their high school students sat in on a couple of numbers. "The kid's a really good guitarist - I think you'll be impressed." So of course they said yes - even if the kid wasn't so good it would be cool to involve a student in the program. Well the kid sat in and literally blew the band away, playing circles around them all. The kid was Pat Metheny.

The video is a live taping of an Austin City Limits program called "Every Tub on its Own Bottom" and aired on PBS in early 1978. The video quality isn't very good and frankly the audio isn't great either but the playing is amazing and really innovative for its time. These guys were all in the early 20s and still relatively unknown. Metheny absolutely shreds in the third song and bassist Mark Egan has an awesome solo in the fourth and final song. Pianist Lyle Mays passed away just a few months ago - he was a true genius. These dudes were pretty cool with their rock star hair and clothes but their jazz was unlike anything else at the time. This was before smooth jazz, new wave or fusion was well known.

Mr. Smith told me when the program was airing so I rigged up a cassette player to record the audio off the show while I watched it. I continued to listen to that tape for the next couple of years until I wore it out. Finding this on YouTube is like reconnecting with an old friend.

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
The kid was Pat Metheny.
So you like Pat Metheny, I would have never guessed and you play the trumpet. I started playing the trumpet in the 7th grade, I eventually ended up playing all the 3 fingered brass instruments. I got turned on to Pat Metheny in 1986 and this was the song. You may like it if you haven't heard it, I do.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,761 Posts
Yeah that's a great a Metheny tune and shows off his amazing chops. By this point in Metheny's journey he's got that fully layered sound that he carried into the 1990s and 2000s - lots of percussion, vocal layer on melody, whistles, etc. Must be a 10 piece band in that video. I like that stuff too but if I had to choose it would be the early quartet stuff or the duets with Lyle Mays. Mays was every bit the musician, if not more so, than Metheny - should have been called the Metheny Mays Group.

·
Registered
403 Posts
First time posting in this thread! First a little back story to this.

... .. . .. ... .... ........ . . . ... .... .. . .

Finding this on YouTube is like reconnecting with an old friend.

This is true jazz with a guitar. I found Metheny ... in, what, the '70's
when living somewhere down south .. I forget exactly where.

His music changed me in a similar way to big wilderness.

Not the same, but similar.

Great music.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,761 Posts
Hey Mark204 - thanks for posting the Live from Daryl's House vids. I really enjoy that show and have watched a lot of episodes. Great covers of Hall & Oates tunes along with other stuff and often featuring great young talent. If you've played a lot of music watching the videos is cool seeing how musicians are placed, mic'd, little insights on how sounds come together, etc. Really good stuff.

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
Hey Mark204 - thanks for posting the Live from Daryl's House vids. I really enjoy that show and have watched a lot of episodes. Great covers of Hall & Oates tunes along with other stuff and often featuring great young talent.
You're welcome....The entire episodes as you know are way better than what I've posted here, there's so much going on in the background before they cut the track. I watched the Joe Walsh episode and was surprised that he was a big fan of Hall &Oates, who da thunk.

Here is a young lady who is relatively new, I can't get enough of her........She hard to watch though, I try to focus on her hands but it doesn't always happen. Check this out and you'll understand .

·
Registered
403 Posts
Speaking of zazz ..

Best heard in studio quality headphones.

(Suggestion: Sony MDR-7506.)

·
Registered
16,901 Posts

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,261 Posts

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
Back in High School a friends sister worked for Contemporary Productions in St. Louis, (concert tickets), He would have her buy 50 to 100 first and second row tickets for the hot concerts and sell them for a $10 service charge. No one had a problem with the extra $10 for those seats.That was his "part-time job" in high school. I don't remember much of the Frampton concert.........but I was there.

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,261 Posts

1841 - 1860 of 1897 Posts