Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had never been an advocate of lasers. Considered them a toy for people to waste their money on to look cool with. Ended up with one already installed on a .45 I have now had for a couple of years. Gun also has tritium sights, so laser was somewhat redundant for nighttime use.

It has changed my mind slowly, but not because of what you may think. I do not use it when I'm target shooting, or plinking around at all. I have shot the gun enough that I am pretty comfortable (at close range) knowing where it is aimed, without using sights. So why do I like it when I don't use it?

Been a neat training tool when I am teaching someone else to shoot handguns. Also consider it a deterrent in a defensive use situation. Would a bad guy think twice if he saw a red dot on his chest? I think it would and if you can stop a situation without having to fire, always a good thing.

Thoughts, arguments, other reasons to have or not have?

Reactions: 1billy43

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have Crimson Trace Lasergrips on my home-defense gun. Besides sighting it in, I don't use it at the range. The biggest reason I like it is that my home-defense gun does not have night sights. Yeah I have a general idea on where I am aiming, but the laser really confirms my POA and keep my focus on intended target.

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
Biggest reason I haven't messed with a red laser is the difficulty of seeing them in the daytime for all around shooting use. Have seen on the Crimson Trace site that Crimson is coming out with a small green laser sight, next year, that is visible in daylight. Might have to re-consider a laser if that new technology proves out.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have a Crimson CT on my LCP, I have been heckled a little, I been told there is a .5% to 5% chance you would ever use it in real life, but even a .5% extra chance of surviving a SD situation, hey even a .05% for that matter, I'll take it. Plus it is great for practicing POA and other training scenario's. Someone once posted the following about lasers:

There are those that will take the time to really learn how to use their laser properly, and there will be those that turn it on a couple of times and find no magic, then immediately take it off and sell it. If you will not take the time to learn how to use a laser properly and "find" the tactical advantage it can give you, by all means get it off your weapon, it will do nothing except confuse you and be a detriment rather than an advantage to you. For those that do take the time to learn how to use a laser properly and then take the time to practice with it regularly, enjoy your advantage.

That being said and I agree but in no way will I rely on one totally, I always practice without a laser as well.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
I like to have a laser on a defensive weapon because in a high stress situation being able to put a dot on your target instantly without having to draw the pistol to your line of sight is a tremendous advantage when seconds count. I am also an advocate for night sights as well a tactical flashlight either hand held or attached to a rail.

·
Banned
4,407 Posts
Lasers are great training tools. People that think they have good trigger control are amazed at how much that dot dances around when they try one.

Also handy in that you can aim the gun when you're in an awkward position. You could hold the gun behind your back and still hit the target.

I do not own any, due mostly to cost, and practicality for my needs.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I put a Laserlyte underbarrel on my S&W Sigma 40 cal about a year ago. This gun has a very heavy trigger pull - about 9 1/2 lbs so it is ideal for HD. It has become my bedside gun. The only time I take it outside is to practice with it and check it out. ( I have a S&W M&P40 for the range)

I highly recommend a laser for HD. I would not have to have the pistol in front of my face blocking my view of the situation and making it harder to see if deadly force is justified. My house is lit enough for me to see but probably not for an intruder.

If a situation were to arise in the middle of the night, it would seem to be much easier to have the gun in my hand as I stayed low while approaching the threat. A quick press of the lever puts a dot on the intruder without my having to get in any particular firing position.

Remember that you would most likely be half asleep, surprised, and scared and probably not in your best aiming form. I have practiced this at night and it works for me.

PS: I also keep within easy reach a loaded 12 ga short barrel shotgun that has a very bright light attached with the button right by my thumb as I grip the weapon.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I have CT's on 5 diff. guns. I like the laser's as the old eys are not what they use to be..

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Think about it, you're a BG robbing somebody, and you're going to break your concentration to look down at your chest? I doubt it.

They'll see the laser at its source, your gun. And they will most likely have no idea whatsoever that it's attached to a firearm. If you fire, they'll be dead/unconscious/soiling their pants/running like scared schoolgirls before they connect the dots that you have a laser aiming device.

Your typical thugs barely know how to work a handgun, much less have knowledge of all the tacticool toys we take for granted.

(so says someone who's not particularly interested in lasers other than bore lasers for training...)

·
Registered
350 Posts
I believe in criminals keeping an eye out for red dots on their person about as much as I believe in the mere sound of a shotgun shell being chambered as sufficient enough action to ward off similar evils. If a laser helps you shoot better, so be it. I personally prefer night sights. Either way the key is going to remain practice, practice, practice.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Northcountrygal- The red is somewhat difficult to see past about 15 yards (as far as quick acquisition, you can see it farther out) in bright sun. I never found it real handy for "all around shooting use" but looks like some have.

JohnR- You may be completely correct, they may not notice and I hadn't thought about that. However, as many as are in movies now-a-days, I would assume they would know. Also, if there is more than one BG, it may actually be noticed. Purely hypothetical on my part.

Anybody know of any stories, links, studies, etc. of personal defense use with lasers? As stated originally, I hadn't considered it that valuable as PD prior to this, only as a training tool and possible deterrent.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I have CT's on 5 diff. guns. I like the laser's as the old eys are not what they use to be..
I have lasers on all of my handguns and one rifle mainly for this reason. My handgun shooting is far better with the laser....faster and more accurate.

Think about it, you're a BG robbing somebody, and you're going to break your concentration to look down at your chest? I doubt it.
I would put that laser in a BG's eyes.....I think he'd notice...and after that. not much else.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I would put that laser in a BG's eyes.....I think he'd notice...and after that. not much else.
I hadnt even considered this! I have a 20mw Green laser sight that I have had for a few years, but never really used.. Even though that would be effective on the BG, if you damaged BG's eyes with it, he'd likely sue you for WAY more than he'd have gotten in the first place... :mad:

·
Registered
824 Posts
Close quarters and low light conditions they are useful. Yet they are not the solution for every situation.

It's easy to loose the little dot in lighted conditions and hard to see it beyond a few yards. And they should never be used as a crutch in place of practice.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
I have a CT railmaster on my SR9c I was at the range today and sighted it in at 20 yards. It seemed to be pretty close to POI so I took a few quick shots and it shut itself off. Operating the on/off switch would not work. I jiggled the battery cover and it came back on. I have shot with it a few times before and never had it do this. I'll open it up and check the spring tension for the battery. If I ever really need it I want it to work.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I will not ever have a laser on a defensive handgun. The problem is if you train using a laser, and you get in a situation where you have to use your weapon, unless the environment is the perfect situation it will take you longer to find where the laser dot is then if you train to shoot based on instinct.

Laser dots commonly get lost on different types of clothing and in different lighting situations and you don't want to have to rely on a laser.

The best thing you can do is train with your firearm until aiming is second nature.

·
Registered
70 Posts

·
Wandering Sandlapper
3,282 Posts
consider it a deterrent in a defensive use situation. Would a bad guy think twice if he saw a red dot on his chest? I think it would and if you can stop a situation without having to fire, always a good thing.
After you point a red dot at someone you felt the need to pull a gun on are you going to count to ten to see if he shoots or surrenders? He who hesitates is.. well buried.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have several crimsontrace laser on all my concealed carry guns and I swear by them in dark situation,but I think you need to be well trained with your open sights and check your lasers to make sure they are still sighted in after batteries changes most of all you need to practice often with both

1 - 20 of 63 Posts