Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased this gun. I am picking it up next week. Does anyone who owns one have an opinion they wish to share? Good or bad lets hear it. Thanks

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
I just purchased this gun. I am picking it up next week. Does anyone who owns one have an opinion they wish to share? Good or bad lets hear it. Thanks
Welcome aboard sir! Congrats on your acquisition of a new Ruger Security-Nine pistol!
I have no experience with that line, so sorry on the feedback, but welcome aboard!!!

Reactions: Patfan73

·
Premium Member
466 Posts
Welcome.

My take on the Security 9 pistols

1 year ago I decided that I wanted more capacity than achievable with my LC9s. I also wanted more weight and size to offset recoil because the arthritis In my hands gets worse with age (79 yrs). While I have owned a variety of manufacturers’ pistols since I bought my first in 1970. Some were good others were not-so-good. I know how to evaluate a pistol for my purposes. I did a lot of research into current 9mm offerings. I wanted reliability, accuracy, capacity, and excellent customer service. The latter criterion ruled out quite a few manufacturers. I also wanted affordable. I am on a fixed income and have to watch my funds carefully.

I read ever review I could find and watched numerous YouTube reviews even ones that reported issues. Nothing I read or saw prejudiced me against the pistol. In fact I found that some reviewers who has issues had likely never ready the pistol’s manual because they did not know the pistol does not have a slide release and has a slide stop. They also complained how putting the safety on was an issue. They missed the fact that Ruger designed it that way to avoid accidental engagement. I became convinced it was a good possibility.

Sparing readers the details I ended up thinking the Security 9 and Security 9 Compact matched my criteria perfectly. I rented both and shot them at my local range. I loved them both. They were. Perfect for my hand size, and just felt great in hand. That’s important to me. After checking to see if there any meaningful differences between the two models other than size, and Ruger confirmed that they basically the same. I wanted the 15+1 capacity, and The Compact can use the 15 round magazine with a spacer that Ruger offers.

I bought the compact because I likes having the 10 round mags too. When I need to deep conceal I load a ten round with the flat base plate, and carry a 15 round mag as a backup. I made that purchase on March of 2021. Mostly I carry. OWB with two 15 round mags. A picture of my set up can be seen below.

I do not shoot “white box” type ammo. I shoot 124 grain Federal FMJ for target and JHP for carry. The rounds I use are American Eagle Indoor Range Training and Personal Defense HST.

The pistol has never been fed anything but those two rounds. My log says that I have out 100 rounds of HST and 550 rounds of Target through my Compact since I purchased it. I have not had a single failure of any kind. That is the kind of reliability I want, and now I have it,

Some look down on the pistol because it called a “budget” pistol. I see it a an affordable, reliable and good shooting pistol. I am not into glamor guns, and if I were I could not afford one.

So I think the security 9 is an excellent choice in either most. This I my EDC rig — DeSantis Leather. Oh, when you register the pistol you get 20% off at ShopRuger.com. I use that to buy the holsters. It was cheaper than buying them direct from DeSantis, and they get embossed with the Ruger logo, I guess I am a Ruger snob,

So I think the security 9 is an excellent choice in either most. This I my EDC rig — DeSantis Leather. Oh, when you register the pistol you get 20% off at ShopRuger.com. I use that to buy the holsters. It was cheaper than buying them direct from DeSantis, and they get embossed with the Ruger logo, I guess I am a Ruger snob,

Handgun holster Font Everyday carry Rectangle Gun accessory

·
Registered
332 Posts
Here was my review:

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Welcome, I have shot a friends and I like it. I am a Glock carrier, but own a lot of Rugers. You can not beat Ruger for standing behind their products.

The only negative, and I know I am being picky, is the finish. My buddy's gun got quick holster wear and rusted some. He had his cera-coated dark gray and it looks wonderful.

You are looking at a very solid choice in a defensive gun.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome.

My take on the Security 9 pistols

1 year ago I decided that I wanted more capacity than achievable with my LC9s. I also wanted more weight and size to offset recoil because the arthritis In my hands gets worse with age (79 yrs). While I have owned a variety of manufacturers’ pistols since I bought my first in 1970. Some were good others were not-so-good. I know how to evaluate a pistol for my purposes. I did a lot of research into current 9mm offerings. I wanted reliability, accuracy, capacity, and excellent customer service. The latter criterion ruled out quite a few manufacturers. I also wanted affordable. I am on a fixed income and have to watch my funds carefully.

I read ever review I could find and watched numerous YouTube reviews even ones that reported issues. Nothing I read or saw prejudiced me against the pistol. In fact I found that some reviewers who has issues had likely never ready the pistol’s manual because they did not know the pistol does not have a slide release and has a slide stop. They also complained how putting the safety on was an issue. They missed the fact that Ruger designed it that way to avoid accidental engagement. I became convinced it was a good possibility.

Sparing readers the details I ended up thinking the Security 9 and Security 9 Compact matched my criteria perfectly. I rented both and shot them at my local range. I loved them both. They were. Perfect for my hand size, and just felt great in hand. That’s important to me. After checking to see if there any meaningful differences between the two models other than size, and Ruger confirmed that they basically the same. I wanted the 15+1 capacity, and The Compact can use the 15 round magazine with a spacer that Ruger offers.

I bought the compact because I likes having the 10 round mags too. When I need to deep conceal I load a ten round with the flat base plate, and carry a 15 round mag as a backup. I made that purchase on March of 2021. Mostly I carry. OWB with two 15 round mags. A picture of my set up can be seen below.

I do not shoot “white box” type ammo. I shoot 124 grain Federal FMJ for target and JHP for carry. The rounds I use are American Eagle Indoor Range Training and Personal Defense HST.

The pistol has never been fed anything but those two rounds. My log says that I have out 100 rounds of HST and 550 rounds of Target through my Compact since I purchased it. I have not had a single failure of any kind. That is the kind of reliability I want, and now I have it,

Some look down on the pistol because it called a “budget” pistol. I see it a an affordable, reliable and good shooting pistol. I am not into glamor guns, and if I were I could not afford one.

View attachment 163687
Thank you for the information. That is s nice looking rig you have. Stay safe!

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
I've only shot the compact version. It's a good pistol that can be found at a budget price point. I liked the sights and for it's size it handled recoil a lot better than some full size pistols I have shot. My only suggestion would be to add a set of Traction or Talon grips. I felt like the grip texture wasn't as aggressive as I like it to be. If I owned one, that would be the first thing I'd do to it.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
I bought a Security 9 when it first came out and a second one a year or so ago. I think that indicates I probably like them, lol. Never had any issues, the size is a good compromise between true compact and full duty size, and you can get both 15 & 17 round magazines for them. I think you will be happy with your purchase. And if you do get one that isn't right, Ruger will take care of you so there isn't any risk, IMHO.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
@dweis very sharp looking setup.

@Patfan73 I am about 25 yrs dweis' junior and he pretty much summed up my thought process and my approach when choosing the Security 9. I purchased mine in March of 2020 after spending 2 months of extensive research. I couldn't find a good reason to dis-count the Ruger product over higher priced models from other manufacturers.

My angle after shooting long guns as a youngster hunting then basically not touching a firearm for 25 yrs was simple. I was interested in concealed carry, thought I would purchase a mid priced model. If a year or two went by and I wasn't shooting, I wasn't out much and if I wanted to upgrade to something more expensive because experience taught me I should, I could and again not be out much.

I have run around a 1,100+ rds through it. 600 various white box (115 grain) and about 20 or so defensive (Hornady 135 critical defense), no issues. My buddy and I (he reloads) went halves on a 1,000 rds of 124 grain and out of my 500 I've had 50 or so FTF or FTE.

So new ammo, no issues, but reloads in my case didn't work out so far, but I will try again.

I am newer to handguns and shot a lot of low and left thusfar, but that is obviously a me issue. Was out today concentrated more on my support hand and I shot much better. I have pretty big hands so I did add a hogue grip and it is much better as others mentioned above the factory grip could be a little more aggressive.

On my day of purchase, I was pretty much in the Taurus camp looking at the G2, I think it was, and I had never handled the Sec-9. The lady pulled it from the case, set it down and when I picked it up, I just knew it was right. By the way, I purchased the standard model and have since added two 17 rd mags. Nice gun for the offering, I wanted a thumb safety being new to hand guns. If you get one w the safety, swipe it vertically, never an issue. One YouTube reviewer was attempting to swipe it and pressing in toward the body of the firearm, dumb. Mine works every time.

Great firearm for the price, don't let anyone tell you any different. No matter what you choose or use, enjoy.

As far as the finish, I was a little ignorant of that type of stuff. I have some wear out at the nose from a kydex holster, but it is a tool not a showpiece. Yes, more expensive guns have better finishes, but the gun operates as it should, I'm not overly concerned w it's looks. I do like that ceracoat is an option if it ever really bothered me, but I doubt it will.

·
Registered
Hirschjäger
1,002 Posts
When they both came out, I was up in the air between the Security 9 and the American Pistol. Just by feel at the gun show, I picked the American.

I really was glad of my purchase, but still remembered that the Security 9 was a really strong contender. So, when a buddy got one in a trade, I tried it out at the range. It really handled very nicely. When he offered it up to me for a really good price, I jumped on it as a nice gun to give to my Father in Law, who was looking for an upgrade of his HD gun (J-frame S&W).

I really think you will be pleased. I think it's a classic Ruger offering of a utilitarian pistol at a reasonable price.

My only criticism of it is the safety's size. It's a bit small for my huge, sausage thumbs/fingers...which is one reason why I picked the American. If it were my only HD offering, I think I would just treat it like a PRO Model and leave the safety off.

Good luck with it and enjoy.

Aqualung

Reactions: Jack Ruger

·
Registered
19 Posts
When they both came out, I was up in the air between the Security 9 and the American Pistol. Just by feel at the gun show, I picked the American.

I really was glad of my purchase, but still remembered that the Security 9 was a really strong contender. So, when a buddy got one in a trade, I tried it out at the range. It really handled very nicely. When he offered it up to me for a really good price, I jumped on it as a nice gun to give to my Father in Law, who was looking for an upgrade of his HD gun (J-frame S&W).

I really think you will be pleased. I think it's a classic Ruger offering of a utilitarian pistol at a reasonable price.

My only criticism of it is the safety's size. It's a bit small for my huge, sausage thumbs/fingers...which is one reason why I picked the American. If it were my only HD offering, I think I would just treat it like a PRO Model and leave the safety off.

Good luck with it and enjoy.

Aqualung
Have you had any issues with the rusting others have posted about in some other Ruger Models? I would think not with the American.

·
Registered
Hirschjäger
1,002 Posts
Have you had any issues with the rusting others have posted about in some other Ruger Models? I would think not with the American.
I have not, but neither my American nor the Security 9 really move from their storage spots.

I'll have to see how things go with my MAX-9, as I've been carrying it in my pocket. We'll see in the summer months, as my sweat eats away watches and has been known to rust stainless steel.

Aqualung

·
Registered
New Gun Owner Ruger Security 9
94 Posts
Revolver Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel

The Security 9 was my first pistol in February of last year. Love the gun! I’ve made a number of upgrades to the gun as you can see. It feels so good in the hand due to the super slim profile of 1.02 inches. It’s strictly a home defense and range practice weapon here in the Northeastern USA. You can’t go wrong with it!

·
Registered
SR22 and Security 9
125 Posts
@dweis tell more about your decision on choosing 124 grain over, let's say, 115 grain that I've been shooting for no reason other than that's what I first found and stuck to it. I totally under the FMJ target ammo vs JHP carry ammo, so I'm interested in learning about the bullet weight debate, thanks.

Also, really like your DeSantis holster, very sharp; better than the canvas Bulldog that came with my used S9C.

Reactions: Jack Ruger

·
Premium Member
466 Posts
@dweis tell more about your decision on choosing 124 grain over, let's say, 115 grain that I've been shooting for no reason other than that's what I first found and stuck to it. I totally under the FMJ target ammo vs JHP carry ammo, so I'm interested in learning about the bullet weight debate, thanks.

Also, really like your DeSantis holster, very sharp; better than the canvas Bulldog that came with my used S9C.

It’s physics Mass X Velocity = force. A 124 grain bullet traveling at the same velocity as a 115 grain bullet will develop more foot pound of energy that the 115 gr. That means there is more force to expand the bullet as it makes initial penetration. It also means that a more more fully expanded 124 gr bullet may not penetrate as deep as a 115 gr. Now traditional wisdom says that penetration is more important than expansion. I agree, but the premise is more nuanced than a simple slogan. If we accept the FBI standard of 12 to 18 inches of penetration we see a lot of penetration latitude. So I might get ax115 gr JHP to a depth of 16 inches while only achieving 14 inches with a 124 gr bullet. But the 124 gr will have more force and therefore more expansion. Of course that assume using high quality ammo wit powder charge perfectly matched to the bullet weight. You do not want ac115 grain bullet propelled by a charge for a 115 gr bullet. Quality ammo is critical.
Think of it this way. If you had to choose between a 115 ounce and a 124 ounce weight being dropped on you head from a point 1o feet above your head, which would you choose? I’d opt for the lighter one.

I want maximum expansion as quickly as possible because the bullet is going to travel only an instant in flesh. I want the best would cavity I can achieve with at least 12 inches of penetration. For me that is 124 gr. So you might ask why don’t I use 147 gr or +P ammo. The reason is simple. It’s recoil which affects accuracy. I am equally accurate with 115 and 124 grain standard pressure ammo. With +p or 147 gr my accuracy drops. So my choice is always mostly influenced by accuracy. As my 80 year old hands continue to make recoil an issue I will some day go to 115 gr. If I live long enough I will likely be using 22LR, but that is OK because accuracy is the most important factor.
Ok, if I have confused the issue here is a good and brief article in the topic.

·
Registered
SR22 and Security 9
125 Posts
@dweis thanks for that reply. Your rationale is understandable. It seems you are seeking to strike the right balance between ballistic effectiveness and gun control accuracy, the interplay between man and machine; an honest endeavor.

The article you recommended was a good morning read. I think I'm going to try 124 grain ammo and see how myself and the gun react.

OP, sorry for the slight highjack from gun talk to ammo talk, but I learned something today.

·
Registered
27 Posts
IMO Ruger pistol’s and rifle’s are some of the best being sold! No complaints with any I have owned or still have. They have made a name for themselves by standing behind their firearm’s and taking care of their customer’s! Some companies customer service is garbage to deal with, but that’s my opinion! I’ve shot several different brands from Kimber, Glocks, S&W, Ruger, Sig, and Beretta’s. My Ruger’s performed as well as any of them! But all goes back to the shooter. Some aren’t gonna like the trigger on one but my fall in love with the way the grip’s feel! So really it’s all in preference! It’s like what I call a “Glock Head”, because in their eyes a Glock is the best. They are the AR-15 of the pistol world with the accessories available!
Like I had an old man tell me year’s ago “Anybody can shoot a gun, but can you hit what you aiming at!” that’s the question! Just something to think about.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts