Ruger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious if i am the only one that has has been in heat, made a trade, and then realized later on what a stupid thing i had done.

My worst one i believe is trading off a 98% browning blr (steel receiver) in 257 roberts for a well-used mini 14 with folding stock.

This back in the early 80's
For a while there i was in full road-gear "trade mode" as i did not have a lot of money and just about every trade i made i took a beating on. Just the urge to trade and own different guns.

Now-a-days i've throttled back on trading and keep what i got.

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
I can not count the stupid trades I have made. But, if you really want to know, I once traded a Colt Anaconda (back when they were still making them, mind you, and sold for around $400) for a stainless Mini 14 (when you could buy a new one for about $340)! Talk about a dumb trade! I sure wish I had that Anaconda back! But, I have made others almost as dumb. I finally wised up and I have not traded anything that I was not happy about for several years now.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
The only times that I have made any stupid trades was when I was marraged and was trying to deal like I was single. I had no money so in order to reload some shell I would trade. I once traded off a marlin 1895 in 45-70 for shot shell componets. Never again, I keep what I have I have sold some like a mini 30 couldn't get after market mags to work to suit me. I got a good deal on it and I didn't loose much but still lost some. I try not to do that now.

·
Registered
576 Posts
We have all done stupid trades deputy. I STILL do them! When we are on a hunt, we lust for that new piece. We make excuses why we "need" or "have to have" it. We either trade our least desireable piece or something that we can replace down the road, and someday "get back" what we parted with.

gunman...after Colt decided to "discontinue the Anaconda" or whatever we no longer have, we begin to question our sanity. Who knew Colt would discontinue their fine line of revolvers? You would not believe how many Trooper Mark IIIs I sold twenty years ago...22, .22Mag., .357, blued, NICKEL, and Electroless Nickel, 4", 6" AND EVEN 8". They were inexpensive back then. Now mine are all gone. I cannot believe how dumb I can sometimes be. Who knew Colt would quit making them?

Did I ever mention that we have the state sanitarium or state hospital for "mentalness" north of OUR town here in South Dakota? It is full of young and old gun traders who are still wondering what went wrong!

Old gun traders never die, they just "wonder" why they did it and then "wander" back to the gun shops, gun shows, etc. on a quest for a new piece. It's a fever and I've had it for 30 years! AT LEAST GUNS HOLD THEIR VALUE...that's what I tell my wife, my banker, my priest, my psychiatrist, my cat, my...

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
Think the worse trade I ever made was trading a almost new Remington 1100 shotgun, a Ruger .30 Cal. Blackhawk Revolver, and a Ruger old model 77 30-06 for two B-Model John Deere Tractors. They were junk, and I had to keep them until they became antiques so I could sell them for enough to buy more gun replacements.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Helps to share the pain!

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Well okay one time I got a like new and I mean like new model 94 BigBore .375 without the crossbolt safety and no angle eject[one of the early ones]and traded it for a Raging Bull .454.Just look around and IF you can find one you will pay twice[I payed 400] that for one in that condition.:(

·
Code Slinger
2,203 Posts
When I was 18 or so, I had a old well worn (75% grade) 1911 'style' pistol. To me at the time, it was a bad 1911 copy as the frame wasn't 'colt' mil-spec so I couldn't replace the grips with standard 1911 grips and the writing on it wasn't even in english, so I sold it for $175.

Years later I realized what I had...
It was a rare WWII Ballester-Molina HAFDASA made in ~1930... for more info on this model, see: http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BQY/is_2_47/ai_68704862

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I foolishly traded off (several years ago) a Winchester 1892 lever gun with octagon barrel
in 25/20 caliber for something that I can't even remember. What a goof I was!

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Glad i am not alone. Amazing what can happen when the fever sets in.
One of these days me and my grankids will be talkin guns and what in the world will they think when i tell them of some of the weapons i had owned and traded off over the years.
Weapons gone now such as the BLR, python, 3" 625, 3" mdl 24, mdl 57, mdl 58, etc, etc...............................
Oh well, they can inheriet my old H&R's. Still don't understand why i like them old single shots so much and how i have managed to keep them over the years!

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
nope your not alone, we all have been there. and will some how do it again.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
I once traded a three screw BKH-34 for grocery money. Wish I had just not eaten instead.
I seldom trade, usually don't buy unless it's something I really want. But I have sold outright several that I kick myself for now.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts