Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After checking my stash of W231 and HP38, I decided I needed more powder...drive 15 mile to our largest gun shop....no smokeless powder...come back home, and start calling...the nearest dealer that has smokeless powder is 65 miles away.....7 shops within 35 miles don't even carry it...all they carry is black powder....one kid told me "Why don't you just substitued"....:eek:....I told him he needed to get another job if he was going to be that stupid.....I hate living near a university town.....:mad:

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
i know............
i have to drive 45 miles to the nearest gunshop which thankfully handles smokeless powder, but no one in the area carries black powder.

I'm getting with a group of fellers locally that all go in together and make a powder order and then get it delivered to a retired border patrolman's house. Split the freight and haz-mat that way to help keep the costs down. When your splittin' it 8 ways it helps + still gettin' the powder cheaper.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
boys ill tell yu all i think we all need to keep an eye out on these things , i know here in tucson all the places that still do sell powder you get what they get, sort of poke an hope, i think if your smart when you buy one you might if you can swing it buy an extra one of something , primers included , ????

·
Registered
362 Posts
I was working in town yesterday, so I swung by Sportco to pick up a can of Unique and a box of large pistol primers. They had plenty of powder, but the counter guy actually laughed when I asked for the primers. The only primers he had left were large rifle primers. And he only had a few boxes of that. I was disappointed to say the least. I need some .45 colt ammo to shoot in my new accusport bisley and I don't want to buy factory ammo. The price is outrageous lately.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
well, its pratically everywhere in the news nowadays. FFL's are getting fewer and fewer everywhere. The small full-line mom and pop gunshops are disappearing as more chain stores carry the lion's share of low-end to medium price range guns. And as these shops disappear, so do all the goodies that go along with them such as powder, components, etc.

To add to the misery, the costs of freight and haz-mat continue to rise and we get sticker shock on the components. With fewer and fewer folks getting involved in reloading every year adds to the problem.
shops perceive the product will sit on the shelf too long before its sold. We might like paticular powders such as unique that sells well, but say a couple of cans of herco sits on the shelf for a year before they sell, there is no incentive to try to carry slow moving herco as a quicker turn around can be had on another product.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Well at least I see I am not the only one with this problem. The closest place that has a decent supply of powder is 30 min. away. Luckily the gas is free, don't ask. We have a new shop that opened the first of the year and I am trying to talk them into stocking powder and primers. The hazmat charge it what kills you on ordering it.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
at $3 gas you can afford to pay the hazmat shipping charges on mail order powder
That's exactly what I figured. Diesel is now costing me $4.10/gal. Hazmat fee is $20 plus $12 flatrate shipping = $32.00....fuel to drive the round trip is $29.61 plus wear and tear.....it's still cheaper to order it. I asked the shop I went to yesterday, if he could order what I want, and I was told that they only order when they have enough demand to order 12 containers at the time....I translated that to a big "NO". It may be the largest gun shop in the area, but, their prices are very high...service isn't what it was 15 years ago, and basically, I'm through with that shop. Everyone talks about supporting the local "Family owned" shop, but, for once, I would like to see them support us, the customer....:(

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.