Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you used YouTube to help make decisions regarding firearms & firearm accessories?

I've used it for holsters & speedloaders. I believe by using youtube wisely, I have saved alot of time & money. It helps me narrow down the possible brands/items alot faster with less frustration.

·
Banned
1,641 Posts
I have TOTALLY used YouTube for firearms/accessories. I've also used it for electronics purchases and tutorials on how to do many things (fixed my Samsung 46" LCD with a YouTube video and saved myself a $300 repair bill). YouTube can be an extremely valuable resource. It's not uncommon for me to watch YouTube videos to see how a particular product looks in comparison to another product or to hear someone's hands-on thoughts about a product.

Be careful though... It's easy to find yourself in the "stupid" part of YouTube very quickly. I know. I've been there many times. It is not an easy place to come back from. LOL!

·
Registered
717 Posts
If I need help in making a decision on a gun or accessories I visit two local gun shops and ask the guys at my gun club.
All 3 of these sources have people who know me and are interested in helping.
Guns and related equipment are very specific personal items and I won't seek advice from a stranger who has no interest in me or my preferences.
I also listen to opinions on forums after spending a bit of time learning who knows what and how sincere they seem to be.

YouTube is the last place I look for any information of any kind.
YouTube quite often resembles an online mental institution where being on it seems to be their only source of "fame".
I am quite sure there are several mental hospitals missing a few patients.
YouTube would be a good place to start looking.

The above is just my opinion.
In spite of everyone's request I am still having them occasionally.
If you start including money with these requests they may be considered.
Small unmarked bills only please.

·
Banned
1,641 Posts
Unfortunately for me, none of the local gun shops here carry much of anything. I usually have to talk to them or people I know and then watch videos online. I think Hickock 45 and Gunblast are pretty reliable. I also don't mind Nutnfancy, although I find him to be pretty long-winded.

I do agree that you have to weed through a lot of nut jobs to find the good stuff, but there is definitely some good information on there.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I use it a lot for accessories and watch pretty much anything I can find for that kind of stuff. For actual guns, I keep my trusted list to a very few. Hickok45 pretty much. Sometimes nutnfancy. If the gun is any good at all, it's almost certain hickok has done a review. Plus he just has a great attitude about everything.

I look at ammo tests too, but that's more for fun rather than a decision maker.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
If I am interested in a certain firearm, I will look and see if Hickok45 has anything on it. I like his style and he seems to be pretty straightforward about issues that bother him - in so many words anyway.

·
Registered
815 Posts
If I need help in making a decision on a gun or accessories I visit two local gun shops and ask the guys at my gun club.
All 3 of these sources have people who know me and are interested in helping.
Guns and related equipment are very specific personal items and I won't seek advice from a stranger who has no interest in me or my preferences.
I also listen to opinions on forums after spending a bit of time learning who knows what and how sincere they seem to be.

YouTube is the last place I look for any information of any kind.
YouTube quite often resembles an online mental institution where being on it seems to be their only source of "fame".
I am quite sure there are several mental hospitals missing a few patients.
YouTube would be a good place to start looking.

The above is just my opinion.
In spite of everyone's request I am still having them occasionally.
If you start including money with these requests they may be considered.
Small unmarked bills only please.
well, you're missing out on quite a bit.

Youtube and forums are the first place I look for the first cut of info on products i'm looking at. If you think folks like hickok45 and sturmgewehre and jeff quinn at gunblastdotcom don't have valid insight into products you're doing yourself a disservice.

·
Registered
6,613 Posts
I have used YouTube for researching and gathering information on guns and accessories. I think it's a good resource as long as you don't cross over to the "Dark Side" :eek:

But I'll be honest with you I haven't been using YouTube as much as I use to since I joined the Forum. ;)

·
Registered
673 Posts

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Yes. It's a very good tool for research. I had a guy tell me just the other day that my Caracal video made his decision for him. That's the reason I wanted to do some videos, so I could give another opinion and maybe help someone out.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
No, usually have my mind made up already.
Have used it for some instructional vids. though.

·
Banned
1,940 Posts
I use youtube for many things. I use it for news, reviews, how to instructions, and to learn wilderness skills about hunting, trapping or foraging for wild edible and medicinal plants. That in combination with a few google searches and you can find out just about anything you want to know.

·
Republican!!!
11,412 Posts
I'm a pretty much faithful YouTuber. I've watched it long enough to know who to trust. Others, I'll watch occasionally, but not with trust until they've proved themselves. Unfortunately, Hickok45 and I have very similar tastes in guns... except for his Glock fetish. We part there, but nobody's perfect! :D

I agree Nutnfancy is long winded but he does provide excellent reviews. Gunblast is great, too. Sturmguver is an up and coming guy I tend to agree with.

There's also some great how-to videos out there. NSSF has some great ones.

It's like any other media. Some you can trust, some you can't. I bought my Colt Defender in spite of a lot of bad reviews on YouTube and I'm very glad I did. So I watch but do my own thinking.

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
Unfortunately for me, none of the local gun shops here carry much of anything. I usually have to talk to them or people I know and then watch videos online. I think Hickock 45 and Gunblast are pretty reliable. I also don't mind Nutnfancy, although I find him to be pretty long-winded.

I do agree that you have to weed through a lot of nut jobs to find the good stuff, but there is definitely some good information on there.
i don't use it much for my big purchases. i'll usually ask close friends or put the word out here on the forum for advice. but once i've made a purchase i DO use youtube a lot for specific information, looking at accessories, etc. i tend to trust the advice of people i know closely or have interacted with (such as here) who's ideas i can feel confident in, particularly where the initial outlay of significant $$ is involved. for instance, my very first purchase at the beginning of the summer, i took the advice of one of my best friends and got the 10/22 (rather than the marlin). when it came to stripping, cleaning, sighting it in, etc., etc. i went to ruger's tech videos and youtube.

i've also stopped in the middle of watching a bunch of videos due to the nut job factor, or such poor camera handling that i couldn't see what they were trying to describe.

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
I'm a pretty much faithful YouTuber. I've watched it long enough to know who to trust. Others, I'll watch occasionally, but not with trust until they've proved themselves. Unfortunately, Hickok45 and I have very similar tastes in guns... except for his Glock fetish. We part there, but nobody's perfect! :D

I agree Nutnfancy is long winded but he does provide excellent reviews. Gunblast is great, too. Stumguver is an up and coming guy I tend to agree with.

There's also some great how-to videos out there. NSSF has some great ones.

It's like any other media. Some you can trust, some you can't. I bought my Colt Defender in spite of a lot of bad reviews on YouTube and I'm very glad I did. So I watch but do my own thinking.
i like hickok a whole lot. i'm ok with nutnfancy too, but usually if his is not a gun review i tend not to bother.

·
Registered
82 Posts
YouTube is my second home. I have over 160 vids on my page. Mostly racing with my street cars. Ive used YouTube to research my ruger. This is my YouTube page. If your not a fan of street racing then i wouldn't bother looking. To each there own.

http://www.youtube.com/user/westpalmgt?feature=guide

·
Registered
633 Posts
I use it frequently. I'm not saying that I trust YouTubers, but that it allows me to observe an item in use and potentially identify strengths and weaknesses in the gear.

By the way, light downward pressure on the bolt handle of a GSR prevents it from hanging up.

·
Registered
6,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I use gun and accessorie manufacture's sight's for making decisions on purchase's Utube can be very misleading, I fnd Utube to be more entertaining than informational.
I think that the comments posted underneath the videos contain as much, if not more info than the videos. I can get a lot of info from online in a much shorter time frame than asking many people over several weeks. Then I consult in person with "my people" (LOL) to confirm or dispel the info that I deem important to my situation. After I think over all the opinions & options, I make my decision concerning purchases. I would never just watch or listen to one person on You Tube to decide how to spend my $$. ;)

·
Registered
279 Posts
YouTube is a valuable source for doing research. There are a few channels that are well worth watching, and some that are not. I watch multiple reviews, but noone beat hickock45. Been subscribed to him since 2009 and have watched every single one of his videos.

I ask questions in forums also.

After I have made a decision, I usually hold off till I can get somewhere I can fondle before buying. That can be difficult to do as our LGS is small with almost zero stock, and it’s a 3 ½ drive to the nearest good gun store, and they also have a range which is double nice.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts