Ruger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been off my zen for awhile, very busy, end of school year, etc...kinda still recovering from my deployment last year..anyway, my shooting has been haphazard and not very good....

Well, last Friday I decided to get it together....I got a good nights sleep on Thursday, got up, no caffeine for me.....did my yoga stuff,(yes I do yoga, it's helpful) and off to the range with my Savage 10FP in 308. It sports a factory stock, turner sling, weaver steel bases, warne detachable rings, harris bipod and a bushnell Elite 3200 10x scope, very plain but functional...

Anyhoo, I got to the range, did some stretches, shot a few Aussie made military rounds to get it roughly sighted in and then I started to business....I was shootng at those little splatter 1 1/2 inch targets at 100 yards.

It only took about five more rounds to really get it down to something serious....so I got my mind set agian, readjusted the scope and got my zen back...I managed to shoot one group of three that were all touching, the worst I had was an inch (I'm not sure how to measure them, I just measure the furthest point across the group).

It was enjoyable, I shot over 50 rounds of of the Aussie 7.62 then switched to American Eagle 150 gr FMJ. I shot another group of tree that were all touching...

Then I started just putting a hole in the target somewhere and seeing if I could hit it again,,,did that once also,,,,

Finally, I set my empty water bottle down on the ground and at 100 yard with my first shot I hit the white cap on the top of the bottle...

Shooting is my meditation in a lot of ways, especially rifles...

Someone on another forum told me that the American Eagle isn't that good of ammo and I probably could have done better,,,I normally reload, but that's been off too...

I need to sit down and reload fifty perfect 168 hp bt in my Lake city brass and what I can do...

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
HUmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Is what I do, the other shooters think I'm crazy so they all move away leaving more room for me to work. I do my best shooting with my eyes closed anyway.
But not as good as you.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am learning that letting myself get rushed does not help anything,,,,I have committed myself to try to get better organized,,and yoga helps.....

I used to calm down by going to the dump in Cheyenne and shooting ice boxes and the like,,,it was fun and it released a lot of stress...

But I got away from that as I got older and I need to remember that shooting is fun and that I should do it right..

I really want to get to where I can hit a 6 inch circle at 250-300 yards consistently....

·
Registered
23 Posts
You know that once you are past the mechanics of shooting the next step is to mentally place the bullet where you want it to go....

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
just keep shooting for fun and before you know it will be where you want to be.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts