Ruger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Born in the town that the Zippo lighter is made, and the Case knives(the two companied recently merged)...my sister thought I'd like this news...I do....I think it's a step in the right direction...American pride=American made=American jobs...if companies all over the country would re-think their plans and do likewise-it'd be good for all concerned...I'm gonna go out and buy me a Zippo-and I don't even smoke!!! I used to carry one all the time because of my roots...but I kinda stopped after filling it just before church one night...forgot to shake off the excess...pastor gave a long and burning sermon that night......my leg was red as an apple.....[:I]

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
They do have some nice ones on their web-site.
Some beautiful s&w lighters. Maybe they could do ruger?
John Wayne lighters were nice also.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
quote:Originally posted by sheepdog

Born in the town that the Zippo lighter is made, and the Case knives(the two companied recently merged)...my sister thought I'd like this news...I do....I think it's a step in the right direction...American pride=American made=American jobs...if companies all over the country would re-think their plans and do likewise-it'd be good for all concerned...I'm gonna go out and buy me a Zippo-and I don't even smoke!!! I used to carry one all the time because of my roots...but I kinda stopped after filling it just before church one night...forgot to shake off the excess...pastor gave a long and burning sermon that night......my leg was red as an apple.....[:I]

Sheepdog--:D:DI had to laugh---I carry a Zip and I do that very
thing all the time--just part of the routine. I have got two "old"
ones that I need to send in and get repaired while they still do it
for free. I carry a new one now to light my pipe with.

·
Registered
343 Posts
My kids and I went up to Bradford years ago to see the museum. They have a really neat museum!! We joined the Zippo collector's club while we were there and got quite a discount on some lighters in the gift shop. Each of my kids got one lighter ( even the 7 year old daughter ). We have sent "Zippo sightings " from movies to Zippo, via e-mail, to add to their list of Zippos in the Movies!!
By the way, they make great gifts also. I used to frequent a place called younameit.com that had a wonderful selection, and did great engraving work. Sadly, when I just tried to access the site - there's nothing there. Here are some photos of a Zippo I got for my son this year when he made Eagle Scout

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sharp eagle...son to be proud of!!! I forgot the collecting aspect...I had an aunt work there and she gave us kids to play with about 40-including a heavy table lighter-wonder how much money we tore up and lost.....oh, well....I've had 3 replaced through the years...used to love their ads in R. Digest...telling what this or that one had been through...and repaired for free...

·
Registered
842 Posts
Haven't smoked now for about 15 yrs but it's hard to tell how many Zippo lighters I've owned through th years. Some all beat up and finally broke, some were lost and others picked up and kept by "friends". Wasn't allowed to carry lighters or matches in the Rubber and chemical plant I worked in so finally quit carrying a lighter much of the time. Although she doen't use it now my wife still has one of the small fancy ones given to her by a family member years ago. Been a long time since I've even thought about Zippo lighters but I think there may be one or two others put up somewhere around here now.
Baker

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
sheepdog fill them the nite before that was only what ya want to lite will burn lol

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I had a bunch of Zippo's as I was bad for leaving them where ever I was at. Now Case knifes have always been #1 with me. I guess I have had a Case in my pocket ever since I can remember. Both are the best you can get IMHO.

Best,Baldy.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Case knives still made here.
Old Timer and uncle henry as i understand are now made in Taiwan?
Last couple of Buck and K-BAR folders i looked at the blades had "china" stamped in them. Think the larger fixed blade Bucks and kbars are still made here(i hope).

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I heard Uncle Henry was out of production completely...if it has China on the blade it's just like a cheatin' wife...doesn't exist anymore...I quit buying Old Timers because I got tired of fighting rust but they were the easiest sharpening blades I've ever worked on...I like Kershaw and Gerber-both are imported now, I think...as are most Cold Steel, which I haven't had one of...I think Benchmade is still US....like fine walnut stocks, they're going the way of fond memories...

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Used Zippo lighters for years. Quit smoking in Feb and haven't carried a lighter since but I still have my Zippos! I use to collect them, pick 'em up in pawn shops or antique stores. I have a few that were my Dads in WWII. I also have a nice tennis ball sized scar on the inner part of my right thigh where a zippo caught fire in my pocket, Due to an accident I was involved in almost 40 yrs ago. My favorite is a scrimshaw zippo given to me by the wife of my late best friend. Wish they made one with the red Ruger eagle. Or the eagle outline engraved like they did on SigDreamers example.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Used to be some really good silversmiths in "Houston town"...outfit called Nelson Silvia Company. They'd keep new Zippos in stock and most Police Officers and Deputy Sheriff's would go to them, buy a lighter, and they'd affix a minature badge to it, usually with the Officer's name it. You always stuck it under a keeper on your Sam Browne belt...towards th' front, of course, where it could be seen! It was somewhat of an unofficial part of a guy's uniform in th' sixties and early seventies.

Haven't smoked for well over 20 years but that old Zippo is still around...38 years old and still works, I'd guess...it's in a display case with some other stuff that my daughter has...

Thanks fer th' memory, Sheepdog!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts