Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone had issues with ZQI? I had heard good things and the 308 Win I've fired through my bolt rifle was fine. But today I fired 50 rounds of ZQI 123 grain 9mm through my 9E and had two that didn't fire. Both rounds have a clear pin strike on them. My 9E has had zero issues with any other ammo I've tried in it, including a lot of reman stuff.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Two failed out of fifty fired. The 9E only has about 200 rounds through it since the last cleaning, so that shouldn't be an issue unless this reman is a lot dirtier then when I've used it in the past.

·
Banned
2,566 Posts
Shot lots of .308 and 5.56 but no pistol, never had an issue with them.

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
Did you try giving them a second hit?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Sarkus--This "hot" Turkish NATO ammo is the preferred range ammo that I use in my Turkish hammer fired cz75 knockoff. It works perfectly in my pistol but may not in some "striker fired" pistols; the primers are very hard and have a "sealant" on them.
I doubt that anything is wrong with your Ruger and I would avoid this ammo and try Federal American Eagle ammo; it has a reputation for easy to ignite primers. In fact, some reloaders have had bad experiences with them in their reloading trays!
I clean my c-100 after every range trip and insure that there is no lub in the chamber area; possibly that's why I have no problems--Who knows?
Just move on and chalk it up to experience!:

·
Premium Member
4,202 Posts
Leave the Walmart ammo alone. Good deals on 308 ammo at SGAmmo.com | Family Owned and Operated Ammo Sales, Stillwater OK Probably cheaper than walmart ammo. sgammo is usually about 30% cheaper than walmart when you buy enough ammo to offset the $12 minimum shipping charge.
I disagree. I've bought in excess of 50 boxes of ZQI 308 ammo from WalMart. I use it in my M1A's. Never had a problem and it's pretty accurate. It's not match ammo but it works great for what I need. I bought it in the first place because at under $10 a box it's worth it just for the brass. I buy a few boxes every time I see it on the shelf. If you know anywhere else I can buy good quality brass cased 308 ammo for under $10 a box I'm all ears.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,680 Posts
Sarkus, Duds are pretty rare in centerfire ammo .... but it does happen occasionally in virtually all brands. I think gunfighter hit on the issue .... hard primers and strikers don't mix well so it's not really the gun and likely not really the ammo ... just a bad combination of the two.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the responses. I guess I'm surprised that the primers would be that hard that a striker fired pistol would have issues with it, especially as even the Turkish gun makers are doing striker fired pistols now. I guess I'll set the remaining boxes of this aside for my P89 as the only other 9mm I have is a Canik (Turkish) striker fired pistol.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Recently, I had a problem with two boxes of ZQI ammo in 9mm. I was getting 2-3 FTEs per mag in my SR9....turning it into a jamomatic. Thought there was something wrong with my gun.....then I ran 50 rounds of federal....not a single problem. Since then, I've run 350 rounds of other 9mm ammo. without a single hangup. I'd stay away from ZQI....at least in 9mm. BTW, I always start my range time with a clean firearm.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
I guess I'm surprised that the primers would be that hard that a striker fired pistol would have issues with it, especially as even the Turkish gun makers are doing striker fired pistols now.
Maybe that's why they are sending the ammo to US. :eek:

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,680 Posts
Let's connect the dots here .... Mil Spec NATO ammo is designed to function in standard NATO issued firearms such as a Beretta M9, Browning Hi Power, CZ 75b, etc. Notice something? Nearly all 9mm military pistols are hammer fired. NATO spec ammo typically has less sensitive primers to prevent "slam fires" so it requires a stronger hit to detonate. 9mm NATO ammo is manufactured in just about every NATO country in the world and is supposed to be made to the same set of NATO specifications. Turkish made ZQI 9mm ammo is a civilian version of 9mm NATO ... made in the same factory, probably with the same powder, bullets, and primers so I would expect it to be virtually identical to 9mm NATO. If you have ever fired American made mil-spec ammo with headstamps that include a 2-digit year of manufacturer ... ie WCC 03 or FC 89 (date code will obviously change) it is loaded to the same specs as GI ammo, also with less sensitive primers.

Try this simple test: find a new wood pencil with a new eraser. Drop it down the barrel of an empty hammer fired pistol .... eraser first. Point the muzzle straight up, cock the hammer, and fire. The pencil will launch several inches ... probably enough to clear the barrel. Repeat the same test with a striker fired pistol. Chances are the pencil will not move more than an inch or two. What does this tell you? Hammer fired pistols strike primers with considerably more authority. No doubt, there may be exceptions but in nearly all cases, a hammer provides better primer ignition than a striker.

So .... if you own a striker fired pistol, do the above test and if the pencil doesn't almost clear the barrel, you should use US brand name commercial ammo with more sensitive primers ... not Mil-spec.

·
Premium Member
4,202 Posts
For the 1,000,000th time: Thanks Iowegan. Great info.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Let's connect the dots here .... Mil Spec NATO ammo is designed to function in standard NATO issued firearms such as a Beretta M9, Browning Hi Power, CZ 75b, etc. Notice something? Nearly all 9mm military pistols are hammer fired. NATO spec ammo typically has less sensitive primers to prevent "slam fires" so it requires a stronger hit to detonate. 9mm NATO ammo is manufactured in just about every NATO country in the world and is supposed to be made to the same set of NATO specifications. Turkish made ZQI 9mm ammo is a civilian version of 9mm NATO ... made in the same factory, probably with the same powder, bullets, and primers so I would expect it to be virtually identical to 9mm NATO. If you have ever fired American made mil-spec ammo with headstamps that include a 2-digit year of manufacturer ... ie WCC 03 or FC 89 (date code will obviously change) it is loaded to the same specs as GI ammo, also with less sensitive primers.

Try this simple test: find a new wood pencil with a new eraser. Drop it down the barrel of an empty hammer fired pistol .... eraser first. Point the muzzle straight up, cock the hammer, and fire. The pencil will launch several inches ... probably enough to clear the barrel. Repeat the same test with a striker fired pistol. Chances are the pencil will not move more than an inch or two. What does this tell you? Hammer fired pistols strike primers with considerably more authority. No doubt, there may be exceptions but in nearly all cases, a hammer provides better primer ignition than a striker.

So .... if you own a striker fired pistol, do the above test and if the pencil doesn't almost clear the barrel, you should use US brand name commercial ammo with more sensitive primers ... not Mil-spec.
Good information, but given how widespread Glocks are in NATO I'm still a bit unclear on why a NATO spec ammo would not work too well with a striker fired pistol. For example, the UK is moving to the Glock 17 as their standard handgun and the Germans use Glocks in some roles. Presumably they have been tested with NATO spec 9mm before being adopted. Unless Glocks have a stronger striker then other brands, such as Ruger.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Can't speak to ZQ's Rifle Ammo but I have Prob. Shot at least 1K of the 9MM 123Gr. FMJ Through several 9's I own incl. my SR9,9C,&LC9 with maybe 3 Rounds misfired.....Its a Shame that my Wally is not carrying it or the Perfecta anymore....but with Federal Champion at roughly the same price......

1 - 20 of 21 Posts