Ruger Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
There's a lot more to "which scope is best" than the brand name or magnification. Most people judge scopes by what they can see and feel yet don't consider internal construction or other important things such as eye relief, zoom range, adjustable objective lens or side focus dial. Even some of the simple things such as eyepiece focus, the type of reticule, objective lens diameter, length, and weight can be important factors. There's no such thing as a perfect rifle scope so you choose the one best suited for your intended use.

There are so many things to consider, especially for a rimfire scope .... so, I wrote an article about 10 years ago and posted it in the Forum E-Library, titled "Scope Dope". Here's a link: Scope Dope | Ruger Forum I think you need at least 25 posts to access the Forum Library.
Thanks! That is really comprehensive article, very useful(y)

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
18,210 Posts
Chengui, I made a statement in my Scope Dope article that is really true .... "The best scope in the world cannot deliver better accuracy than the gun is capable of." 10/22s are one of those rifles that are not known for precision accuracy unless you spend a lot of money on a match grade barrel, stock, and internal parts. They shoot pretty decent plinker grade groups out to 50 yards. which is what they are designed to do. Point being .... a $100 scope will serve your needs just fine and will probably be more precision than the rifle. I favor a 2~7X rimfire scope on a 10/22 ... Vortex or similar brand.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The Ruger 10/22 Tactical is made with a bit tighter tolerances and can be accurate out to 100 yards with the proper scope. The Ruger 10/22 can be accurized with very little money I have proven this with my own 1994 purchased 10/22. It may not win any competitions but with my Sightron 36x42 target scope I can shoot MOA at 50 yards and beyond. A 2x7x scope is fine for plinking but if getting the best out of the shooter and gun is the goal then scope selection is more critical and in my opinion a higher magnification scope can make shooting a lot more fun and engaging. But if casual burning through ammo at tin cans is the game then by all means 2x7 is sufficient. BTW born and raised in NE Iowa.

·
18,210 Posts
yrunvs, I guess we all have our own definition of accuracy for a 22LR rifle. 1 MOA is pretty good at 100 yards but MOA (1/2" groups) at 50 yards, not so much. I have an older CZ 452-2E bolt action rifle (I paid $200 at the time) and have a Nikon 3~9x EFR scope on it. The scope was about $100. This gun pretty much defines accuracy and is the least ammo fussy rifle I have ever seen. At 50 yards with most any ammo, it will print 1/4" groups .... even better with match grade ammo .... basically one tiny tattered hole. At 100 yards, it will print well under an inch with normal 22 LR ammo or about 1/2 MOA with match grade 22 LRs. , providing the winds are calm.

I built a 10/22 using a 20" match grade Green Mountain barrel with a Bentz chamber. It has a Fajen target stock, a bolt that has been machined for minimal headspace, 2 lb trigger pull, and a Niko Sterling Night Eater 3~10X50 scope. The scope has a side dial for parallax correction. With match grade ammo, I can squeeze about 1 MOA at 100 yards or under 1/2" at 50 yards. Pretty good but not in the same ball park as my CZ. I got about a grand invested in my build versus about $300 for my CZ.

My point is .... both of these rifles have decent scopes but neither are very expensive and neither are anywhere close to your 36X.

Reactions: ramblin84

·
Registered
30 Posts
You are a much better shot than I. 1 inch groups at 100 yards and I go home happy. The OP purchased a Ruger 10/22 not a CZ so maybe a better scope might help hitting the target better. I wonder how many of us purchased a Simmons 3x9 or equivalent and shortly thereafter wished we'd spent a $150 more? BTW comparing a rifle/scope purchase from "at the time" to todays prices is not apples to apples.

·
18,210 Posts
yrunvs, I guess I didn't make my point very well. If you want really good accuracy, you need to start with a better rifle than a factory 10/22. As I noted above, "The best scope in the world cannot deliver better accuracy than the gun is capable of."

I really enjoy 10/22s .... got 4 of them but I didn't buy them for benchrest accuracy, except for my above build. They are plinkers and do a very good job of it. It's hard to beat a day at the farm with the grandkids, a brick of 22s, and a couple 10/22s.

My first 10/22 Carbine was made in 1974. I still have it and it still shoots great.

The next one is my favorite ... a Mannlicher stainless. I've had several different scopes on this gun to include a $700 4.5~14X Leupold VX III and it wouldn't group any better than with a $100 Nikon 2~7x at 50 yards. My granddaughter has laid claim to this gun and prefers iron sights.

Last is my TD stainless, still a fun gun. It has a Ruger 4x32mm scope and kills bean cans @ 50 yards every time:

Reactions: ramblin84

·
Registered
30 Posts
No I did get your point but you missed mine. Not everybody wants or needs to have pin point accuracy. Their are many many more accurate 22's than a CZ so if you really want to be a precise shooter a CZ is not the gun either. The point is that whatever gun you do shoot there is nothing wrong trying to squeeze the best out of it with better scopes, barrel bedding etc. even a lowly 10/22. Without my Sightron 36x42 I'd never be able to shoot MOA especially with a 3x9 or whatever on it. Nice guns above I really woud like a Mannlicher stock someday

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well, I guess I don't fall into the category of "most people". I use a variable scope and I adjust the magnification and parallax depending on the distance, ammo and target. I shoot my 10/22 Target, from a bench, on three different gun ranges from 25yrd to 50 to 100yrds and fine tune my sight picture to fine tune my groups. Our club has several ranges, and I can't always get on the same one... but I'm flexible ... and so is my scope.

The higher the magnification of the sight picture also means the higher perceived movement of the crosshair on the target, and I don't always want that especially when testing different ammo and changing distances. But as I always say, "To each his own" ... whatever works for you is fine with me.
To get the smallest groups you need to see every possibly perceptible movement of your crosshair.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Scope quality for rimfire rifles means something entirely different compared to large centerfire rifles where recoil and distance have major impacts on repeatability. You can put a $2200 VX6HD 4-24x52 on a 10/22 and it won't print better groups neither will it necessarily make you a better shot. Like Iowegan, my CZ452 will outshoot me and any 10/22 every day of the week.

A better question might be, "what is your favorite scope for a 10/22?". "Favorite" carries a great deal more meaning than "best" IMO. For me that's a no-brainer. Nikon's out-of-production P-Rimfire with exposed turrets sits atop a Midwest Industries rail on my TacSol barreled, Magpul hunter stocked, BX trigger "10/22". The bullet pretty much goes wherever the cross-hairs say it will, plus or minus. :)

·
Registered
728 Posts
I have a UTG 3-9X32 AO Mil Dot on mine. The only original items left is the receiver and charging handle.
Mine has a Houge over molded stock, BX trigger group, E.R. Shaw heavy target barrel and 6-9" bipod.
Shoots very well with me behind the trigger so should shoot smaller groups with someone good on the trigger.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts